Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: Richiej on January 21, 2012, 07:14:45 PM
Cavanlad I was reading your post and to be honest when I came to the line where you stated "u21 don't need experience "I stopped reading.  What's the point in trying to educate posters like you when that's the kinda  stuff your going to come out with. We have always been a little ahead of ourselves in Cavan. And no offence but your proving this with statements like that.
Richie,

Just what experience to these fella's have in the Cavan jersey? This may seem a lilttle harsh but their time with Cavan has seen Constant failure and constant choking. Played in embarrasing defeats to Cork and Longford. Maybe Val has decided he doesn't want their mental baggage around the younger players. It's a guess but that's my take on it. If they want to work hard and force their way back in well then fair play to them. Nobody here would begrudge them that.

I for one would rather let all these players coming through make their own mistakes and learn from them. They have already shown us they can do this. As someone said, they nearly won their minor title a couple of years ago and it didn't happen. They stuck together and came back for another go. Add in a whole fresh batch of minors following through and you would hope in two or three years time we would have a pretty decent outfit.

And please note not everyone with 'experience' as you say has been cut.  Padraig Reilly, McCuthcheon and Mark McKeever are still in there.

Is James Reilly on the panel does anyone know? Was told he was and he wasn't. He would be a big help to a young team.

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: Richiej on January 21, 2012, 07:45:51 PM
And breffni yank don't forget Cullivan in your experienced players that are still there. You know the came Cullivan who refused to play 2 years ago because he want being selected by Carr. If Andrews knew what he was at he would have substituted Johnston last year in either the Donegal game or Longford game if attitude or form was poor. HE DIDNT.. Drops him instead in October which proves he making it up as he goes along. Because there has been no intercounty contact in between last championship game and October. Andrews is a bluffer who reads it all out of a book. But there no telling that to you boys. I ain't going to get any satisfaction telling you " I told you so" because my heart is in Cavan football . Haven't missed a championship game in over 20 years even though I live across the water.

Nobody is doubting your passion Richie but you have to stop looking at everything and no matter what twisting it to say Val is doing something wrong. A part of me thinks we are in for a long season but there is no point constantly slating a manager when we haven't even played a league game yet. It is very easy to manipulate everything to match your viewpoint.

Of the team that has played so far I would have serious concerns about our team in a few positions. In goals we have a problem if James is gone. Our Full-Back line does not inspire a whole pile of confidence either. Believe me I am concerned but I am willing to give the management and the players a chance to prove me wrong.

In midfield we have two players that will be the envy of most counties in the future. Up front we have talent. McDermott, Keating etc are well able to kick scores and I think them two could make a real impact this year. Only time will tell.

mylestheslasher

I manage a sports team (not gaa). I had a player for 2 years who was a match winner. Had more ability than any other player on the team. However, he had a bad attitude. Trained when he wanted and went missing when the big match came. I tried everything I could to keep him interested to try and get the him to care about the team. This year after one more episode I told him his services were no longer required. My other players backed me (even though many of them are his friends), the team are now performing better. I have closed no doors but this guy will need to apologise to his team mates and then go training and show that his attitude has changed. I have a feeling the Johnston situation is something similar. Its the managers call and I support him.

cavanlad

Quote from: Richiej on January 21, 2012, 07:14:45 PM
Cavanlad I was reading your post and to be honest when I came to the line where you stated "u21 don't need experience "I stopped reading.  What's the point in trying to educate posters like you when that's the kinda  stuff your going to come out with. We have always been a little ahead of ourselves in Cavan. And no offence but your proving this with statements like that.

sorry if my post was unclear to JUST YOU, i was tring to say that these under 21 players have trained together since 15 or 16 years old, my point is the same as Breffni_Yank.

your have a serious problem, no need for the personal attack at the end, a simply i don't understnad your post would off been ok. i didn't insult you.
My ignore list - Richiej

Breffni_Yank

To stop all the fighting, are we all presuming that the McKenna Cup squad is our panel for the year then or are there any injured players to come back in?

Breffni_Yank

All I could think of was James McEnroe. Maybe Thomas Corr but have no idea if he is in there or what is his story.

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: Richiej on January 21, 2012, 11:55:03 PM
Quote from: Breffni_Yank on January 21, 2012, 11:35:40 PM
All I could think of was James McEnroe. Maybe Thomas Corr but have no idea if he is in there or what is his story.
.     Corr was there last year I think , I know he hadn't the best of years but if he had any kind of potential wouldn't you think Andrews would have stuck with him if he was worth it? Murray comes to mind last year when andrews tried him in the half back line then took him off after 56 mins against Donegal . Then played him in the half forward line against Longford and took him off after 18 mins. Does that sound like a Manager who knows what he is at??? It's fine giving Andrews a chance but why can't he explain last years failings????

Your doing it again Richie. New year, new season. Lets give it a chance.

Yeah Corr deserves another chance. Of last years u21s the only ones that I can think of are O'Meara, Leddy and Tighe. First two are playing college football at the minute and no idea about Tighe. Myles?

After that it is slim pickings. Alan Clarke left last year so dont see him near it. Where has Martin Reilly gone too? And did Sean Brady get a chance after his good season with Castlerahan?

Western Blue

When are Cavan's U21's due to play Longford in the Hastings Cup...is that a Final. I see Donegal played Monaghan on Sat in a challenge match...did our Senior side play over the weekend. Any word on O. Minagh  & D.Barkey injuries ..both very early in there respective games.

mylestheslasher

It was on yesterday but didn't hear the score.

PhilsJemmysField

Cavan will play Longford in the  Hastings Cup final on Saturday next in Abbeylara at 2 30 p.m.

Westside

Johnston is apparently moving to St. Kevin's in Kildare..

rodney trotter

He won't get things too easy in Kildare.. Not like in Cavan where nobody would ever dare dropping him, better quality players in the Kildare forward line. They all work hard if they lose the ball something Johnston doesn't do. Saying all that it would be nice if Johnston destroyed the Dubs in Croke Park if they meet at some stage in Leinster of the All Ireland series. He has quality, but would need to improve his attitude which i think he would under McGeeney..

mylestheslasher

Rodney, if I saw seanie Johnston playing for kildare against the dubs then I'd be cheering for the dubs. I'd hate to see any success come from such a traitorous act. I heard mutterings that a resolution might have been on the cards and I was hoping that was the case but if this story is true then I hope it gives our lads a bit more motivation to do well and maybe win an ulster in the next few years. What if the gaels got the ulster club too?

rodney trotter

I'd say the Cavan lads already knew this Myles, i heard he had done gym work with Kildare in November a few weeks after being dropped, just a matter of the transfer going through. Huge loss to Cavan Gaels.

mylestheslasher

Richie - He has made a 2nd decision now. He has decided him playing for a random county like Kildare is more important than him playing for his own club, the club that he was born into.

Answer me this - why did he not transfer to a club in Longford, Leitrim or Fermanagh. He could have lived there and played with that county and had a comfortable comute to work every day. Why do you think that is Richie? Teemore for example is only 20 minutes from Cavan.

That tells me all I need to know about Seanie Johnston. No place for people with such self importance and arrogance in the Cavan panel. Andrews has made the right decision and I'm certain of that now. Cavan supporters and Cavan Gaels supporters should now move on and support their club and county