Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Richiej on January 17, 2012, 02:35:13 PM
MYLESTHESLASHER.. If Seanie is dropped for disipline or for being disruptive why cant the management say so??
He wasnt given any explaination other than the management are going with youth and he wasnt needed. There was no talk of working his way back in. Thats the sad part.
There a player on the panel who refused to play 2 year ago. Seanie never refused to play did he?He has carried that forward line at times .
He was dropped from the gaels and lost the captaincy last year but he didnt run away did he?? Why? Because he was told he was still wanted.
Andrews has told him he is not wanted. But he hasnt replaced him with any better has he? Thats a minus in my eyes.

If he goes to Kildare and works under McGeeney who is a harder task master than Andrews and suceeds, well its going to make Andrews man management skills look a lot worse than they already are,

I know Seanie will play for Cavan long after the present management are long gone

Richie - He went off to the US in the middle of the championship before too didn't he?

btw - How do you know what the management said to him? I was under the impression you didn't know him.

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: Richiej on January 17, 2012, 03:14:36 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 17, 2012, 02:55:27 PM
MYLESTHESLASHER.. If Seanie is dropped for disipline or for being disruptive why cant the management say so??
He wasnt given any explaination other than the management are going with youth and he wasnt needed. There was no talk of working his way back in. Thats the sad part.
There a player on the panel who refused to play 2 year ago. Seanie never refused to play did he?He has carried that forward line at times .
He was dropped from the gaels and lost the captaincy last year but he didnt run away did he?? Why? Because he was told he was still wanted.
Andrews has told him he is not wanted. But he hasnt replaced him with any better has he? Thats a minus in my eyes.

If he goes to Kildare and works under McGeeney who is a harder task master than Andrews and suceeds, well its going to make Andrews man management skills look a lot worse than they already are,

I know Seanie will play for Cavan long after the present management are long gone

Richie - He went off to the US in the middle of the championship before too didn't he?

btw - How do you know what the management said to him? I was under the impression you didn't know him.

He was not alone in going to the US Myles. Keogan made his views public at the time, Seanie  later apologised and the issue was put to bed.

Andrews could have handled this alot better. We the general paying public are entitled to know who are in the panel and whos not.
Andrews never stated "ive dropped Seanie Johnston, Mickey Lyng Dermot Sheirdan because...?
Maybe the paying public are not owed explainations but this is the very manager who was moaning about faceless internet posters having a go at him.
Yet he does nothing to dispell any rumour. Its as if he thrives on being the big man.

His 2 year term is up for review at the end of this year. He wont get a 3rd term unless he gets promotion or wins at least one championship game. He had his settling in period last year. He moved the goalposts and got full control this year.
He cant keep team building forever. he needs to show improvement or hes history.

Of course it could have been handled better but I think Andrews is going to be around for another few years to be honest. He works well with Hyland who is dead set on churning out good under 21's team each year so as to give us a stong nuclues of a senior side in 4-5 years. If Hyland can keep up his recent successes at that grade then off the top of my head you would imagine he will handed the reigns when the time is right. Purely speculation of the top of my head of course but it makes sense to me. No point bringing in a new senior manager that might want to play a completely different style of football to what the products of the last two u21 teams have played in my opinion. Then we really are starting from scratch again

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Richiej on January 17, 2012, 03:14:36 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 17, 2012, 02:55:27 PM

He was not alone in going to the US Myles. Keogan made his views public at the time, Seanie  later apologised and the issue was put to bed.

Andrews could have handled this alot better. We the general paying public are entitled to know who are in the panel and whos not.
Andrews never stated "ive dropped Seanie Johnston, Mickey Lyng Dermot Sheirdan because...?
Maybe the paying public are not owed explainations but this is the very manager who was moaning about faceless internet posters having a go at him.
Yet he does nothing to dispell any rumour. Its as if he thrives on being the big man.

His 2 year term is up for review at the end of this year. He wont get a 3rd term unless he gets promotion or wins at least one championship game. He had his settling in period last year. He moved the goalposts and got full control this year.
He cant keep team building forever. he needs to show improvement or hes history.

Agree with a lot of that Richie re improvement required. He will have to show an improvement as last year was a mess. However, we have to assume he knows what he is at and I for one have also been looking for a clean out and give young lads the chance. I can't accept he would drop a player of Johnstons ability for no reason, for the very reason you said - he needs to show an improvement. Given we have a senior team now that is new but is working hard all over the field I do expect an improvement and I'd be hopeful of a good league run.

anglocelt39

Ah Christ Richie nothing personal but I suppose it was a bit much to expect that you'd confine your pearls of wisdom the the Hogan Stand Site.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

anglocelt39

I've nothing at all against Jelly but in fairness having read the article the one conclusion anybody would have to come to is that he is effectively ruling himself off the Cavan panel for at least as long as the current management is in charge if  not longer. You cannot seriously expect him to be brought back into the panel at any stage soon as you can only imagine the impact it would have on the group as a whole.

The best thing for Cavan at this stage is that we move on and see what the current changes bring. Initial signs are encouraging but we can expect progress to be slow. Will the lad be missed, I think he will but it's not going to be absolutely terminal-he was usually good for a few points a game from play but was never one for the vital goal a la jason reilly. Also, it would appear that he wasn't a fierce happy camper for the last few years and that can't have had a positive impact around the panel I'd imagine.

Gave good value over the years and fair play for that but time to move on. If he wins an All Ireland medal with Kildare best of luck to him . As a relatively oul fella myself you'd have to wonder will there be regrets 10 years from now though.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 17, 2012, 07:38:29 PM
Ah Christ Richie nothing personal but I suppose it was a bit much to expect that you'd confine your pearls of wisdom the the Hogan Stand Site.

That's not very nice!

Benny

Mind you, for anyone that was there, Seanie Johnston's point taking display in the second half vs Wicklow in 2010 was a sight to behold!

Two things, firstly no-one as yet has mentioned McGeeney's input into this??? Did he whisper sweet nothings into Seanies ear and in some way contribute to this?? and secondly, as far as I'm aware no manager has to answer to the general paying public. Keeping the clubs happy is all he needs to worry about, as Mr Andrews well knows after previous experiences....

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Richiej on January 17, 2012, 09:00:46 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 17, 2012, 08:42:58 PM
Quote from: Richiej on January 17, 2012, 08:27:03 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 17, 2012, 07:38:29 PM

AND LET A TWO FACED **** LIKE YOU HAVE THE RUN OF ALL BOARDS?? NO CHANCE.............AT LEAST I USE THE SAME USERNAME ALL THE TIME!

That's not very nice either.

MYLES we are all entitled to our views. I havent taken anything personel with any poster. Yes il argue my point and my beliefs but thats where attacks should stop. We all have Cavan football at heart. Yes different views. What craic would there be if we all thought the same?

Agreed.

rodney trotter

Johnston will have his work cut out if the transfer does eventually go through.. Kildare have been flying so far this year, it's only the o'byrne cup but they are going well and still have a few lads coming back from injury. It would be a massive loss to Cavan Gaels. He might have been poor last year in the Ulster Club but in county championship he was still above everyone else even if he wasn't at his best. I thought he had to get work in Kildare aswell but it doesn't say that in the paper, he is living there and just needs to get a tranfer to a club there.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 17, 2012, 11:07:16 PM
Johnston will have his work cut out if the transfer does eventually go through.. Kildare have been flying so far this year, it's only the o'byrne cup but they are going well and still have a few lads coming back from injury. It would be a massive loss to Cavan Gaels. He might have been poor last year in the Ulster Club but in county championship he was still above everyone else even if he wasn't at his best. I thought he had to get work in Kildare aswell but it doesn't say that in the paper, he is living there and just needs to get a tranfer to a club there.

He is in his hole living there. All part of the scam to get help with the transfer.

rodney trotter

Maybe so Myles, i was just going by what it said in the paper. He is still teaching in breffni college so if was actually living in Kildare at the minute it a long spin down for a 9 o'clock start..

Western Blue

Anglo-Celt39/South Eastern Blue just to let you know I am back !! The Galway,Donegal and Longford defeats last summer took awfull out of me in that I nearly put my Kingspan jersey into my local clothes bank and purchased a Mayo (Elverys) jersey here in Castlebar. With the new season/clear out of old stock underway I found my Cavan Jersey in the attic last night so I have decided to travel to Cavan tomorrow evening to see the new kids playing U.U.J. Hopefully we will get a big win and that Donegal beat Derry. With all this talk about Seanie been dropped from the squad I hear no noise's coming from Lyng or Sheridan? Do they not want to play intercounty football. I have to say in the majority of inter county games I have attended in the last couple of years Johnstons performances have been very inconsistent.   

Onlooker

Living in Munster, I have not seen Seanie Johnston play for a few years.  He was a good player, but if he played poorly last year, maybe it was due to all the travelling from Straffan to Cavan for work and training. :) :) :)

rodney trotter

Last year was Johnstons first full year with Cavan. Every other year prior to that he was playing with Dcu. Maybe not being involved with Dcu might have unsettled him abit. They train like professionals there and have brillant facilities playing high level football, Ryan Cup, O'Byrne and Sigerson and are all well looked after. He was there 8 years so maybe going from that to have job and then training might have been different but his attitude was very poor last year and he can have no excuses tbh. He deserved better than a 10 second call though if thats true.