Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

When was the last time CG had a homegrown manager?

Best of luck to him unless we have to play them in the championship of course.

From HS

Graham takes over Cavan Gaels
19 December 2011

Mickey Graham will be in charge of Cavan Gaels in 2012Former Cavan Ulster SFC winner Mickey Graham has taken the reins of Breffni County champions Cavan Gaels following Saturday's club AGM.

Graham, who managed the Cavan minors for three seasons, takes over from Fermanagh man Darren Chapman, who parted ways with the Cavan town club after leading them to a 12th Oliver Plunkett Cup success.

The Cavan Gaels man takes charge of his native club with a strong track record, having led neighbours Drumalee to an intermediate championship success in 2006 and steered Ballyhaise to back-to-back U21 championship triumphs.This past September saw Graham help Clonguish to the Longford SFC final where they suffered a narrow 0-7 to 0-6 defeat at the hands of defending champions Longford Slashers.

The ex-Cavan sharpshooter's chief objective in 2012 will undoubtedly be to lead his new side back to the senior championship title, with a more formidable run in the Ulster club SFC also likely to be on the agenda should the Terry Coyle Park outfit retain their crown next October.

Meanwhile, Graham's former Breffni colleague Jason O'Reilly has been appointed as Lacken's new senior trainer for the 2012 season in what is the Belturbet man's first club managerial role, having been part of Graham's backroom team with the Cavan minors last season.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Westside

McKenna Cup starting in 10 days and still no squad announced. The moaning about the exclusion of certain players is going to happen at some stage perhaps Val should be getting this over with sooner rather than later? Or maybe he's not going to announce a squad to the media at all for this reason.

anglocelt39

Best of luck to you all for 2012. 2011 was probably our best year at inter county level since 97 (well taking underage stuff into account) and our best year at underage level in my lifetime so plenty to be optimistic about. You'd have to be hopeful we can be very competitive again at Under 21 level in 2012. Senior in 2012??? would be a bit worried that it may take a while for things to turn around. We could do with Val discovering a Jason Ryan type persona pretty fast.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays. I understand that the seniors have been training extremely hard over the past month or two (on an individual basis of course and not as a team!) so I expect they should be in good condition for the mckenna cup. However, given the age of the panel I also expect that we will be short a lot of lads who will be with their college teams. I also heard from a pretty good source that Sean Johnston is indeed wanting to go to Kildare but he also wants to stay with the Gaels and that will not be do-able so it looks like he'll be stuck in limbo. Maybe he might settle the head a bit and get back to his best as a footballer and I'm sure the county team will come looking for him again.

Westside

The Seniors have been training very hard, I know one lad in particular (fond of a good time usually) was in the gym Christmas day and not even out on New Years Eve. They're going hell for leather at the early part of the year. They'll be wanting to peak for the League. Andrews has basically said as much. The McKenna cup gets going next week so it'll be nice to have something to talk about on here besides speculation!

Speaking of which, coming from a source close to Johnston, he won't be going to Kildare due to work commitments. But if Cavan come calling if/when things are going badly, Johnston won't be rejoining under Andrews.

Westside

Played Meath in Navan tonight. Lost 14 points to 1-7. Played into a gale in the first half. Team:

FReilly, FSlowey, SMcCormack, OMinagh, DO'Dowd, PReilly, DO'Reilly, DGivney, GMcKiernan, SGaffney, EKeating, SJordan, RGalligan, RCullivan, DMcKiernan.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on January 03, 2012, 11:47:56 PM
Played Meath in Navan tonight. Lost 14 points to 1-7. Played into a gale in the first half. Team:

FReilly, FSlowey, SMcCormack, OMinagh, DO'Dowd, PReilly, DO'Reilly, DGivney, GMcKiernan, SGaffney, EKeating, SJordan, RGalligan, RCullivan, DMcKiernan.

Biggest ff line we've had in a long time.

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: Westside on January 03, 2012, 11:47:56 PM

Is there many lads to come back into that team?
Only two u21's there. Would most be tied up with college teams at this stage?

rodney trotter

Sean McCormack is a decent full back. He was on the panel last year for the league but didn't get any game time, he should be able to nail down a place this year if he gets a regular place on the team. I think Niall Murray and Maloney Derham are playing in the O'Byrne cup with UCD. Mcdermott could be involved with DCU aswell..

club_man

McDermott is finished Col so won't be with DCU

mylestheslasher

Jaysus there is some muck being talked on that hoganstand website. Apparently its a disgrace that there is no panel named. The reason there is no panel is that the team can't be accused of collective training if there is no panel - don't want to break them rules. The lads are busting their holes 6 days a week yet these boys reckon the team that played that challenge was dragged together at the last minute for the game. If only Seanie wasn't in Australia, apparently a 50% Seanie is better than any of the other players. With fans like that who needs Meath or Monaghan. Whats the point bitching about stuff at the start of the season? Give them a bloody chance.

Anyone knows is James Reilly involved or not?

I wouldn't pay much heed to the McKenna cup, even if we were to get a thumping. Its all about trying lads out and then getting a strong panel for the league.

tommysmith

QuoteThe lads are busting their holes 6 days a week yet these boys reckon the team that played that challenge was dragged together at the last minute for the game.

I think that is just the village idiot trying to be smart.

whats my name

in fairness the lads are putting in a huge effort this year they are training between 4-5 nights a week aswell a gym work on top of that they have a sports performace company in called nada who work out of the aviva stadium wo are doing special performance enhancing training with them every week so from what im hearing a huge effort is being put in by all the lads the aim is to make progress in the league this year

Westside

Starting team and subs for Sunday.

Fintan Reilly

Oisin Minagh, Sean McCormack, Fergal Slowey,

Dane O'Dowd, Padraigh O'Reilly, Damien O'Reilly,

Gearoid McKiernan, David Givney,

Mark McKeever, Ray Cullivan, Stephen Jordan,

Niall McDermott, Eugene Keating, Raymond Galligan,

Colm Courtney,
Keith Fannin,
Barry Watters,
Brendan Fitzpatrick,
Conor McClarey,
Damien Barkey,
Declan McKiernan,
Joey Jordan,
John McCutcheon,
Niall Smith,
Barry McKiernan,
Sean Gaffney

Dougal

givney and keating played for sligo during the week,are they allowed to play in both comps? + they have a game in london at half 6 tomorrow evening.is gearoid not with DIT aswell?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!