Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Can anyone that was in Breffni give an account of the U21 final?

rodney trotter

Yeah Newtown lost by a point.. 1-8 to 10.. Fckn tough way to lose a game at the very end when up by 2 points and they race up the field and score a wonder goal by Karl Duke to win the game. Good game of football considering rain all week. Newtown went ahead 4 pts to no score,then they got 5 points without reply, in between Newtown having Stephen Brady sent off. Newtown led 7-6 at half time, Mcdermott who had an outstanding and Finnegan did all the scoring for Newtown, Shane Tiereny was very lively for Assan,Chris Conroy and Duke had good games aswell.

Westside

Good stuff RT.. Sounds like a serious kick in the stones for the Newtown lads. Great to see a quality, competitive U21 Championship in Cavan.

PhilsJemmysField

Winning is just not easy.  :D The Div1 U21 final was moved by Tom Reilly because there was a conflict with a Scor competition.  It had nothing to do with young Finnegan (Newtown) who in fairness should have got Man of the Match really, being unavailable due to suspension on the Saturday night.

rodney trotter

Young finnegan wasn't suspended Phil.. It was Niall Mckiernan,and his appeal didn't go through on the Friday night so he wasn't able to play. I didn't think it would either. Fair play to Assan Gaels they battled to the very end, i remember a few years ago Lavey got a late late goal to beat Ballinagh to win the u21 div2 championship, real never say die spirit.

PhilsJemmysField

If the game was played on Saturday a Cornafean player was not available due to suspension FACT. Not absolutely sure it was Finnegan so will stop mentioning names. He still had a great game and has great strength and determination his last point deserved to win the game but then shit happened. Thank God :D

rodney trotter

Adrian Caffrey was that player, it was just a coincidence that his ban expired the day that the Scor was on.. Connor Finnegan wasn't sent off in any game in the u21 championship.. Niall Mckiernan was sent off in the semi against Castlerahan and missed the final as his appeal was turned down on friday. He was a loss but Newtown played well without him and should have had it won before that late goal, but as you siad shit happens.

cornafean

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on December 06, 2011, 09:48:44 AM
If the game was played on Saturday a Cornafean player was not available due to suspension FACT. Not absolutely sure it was Finnegan so will stop mentioning names.

Finnegan doesn't play for Cornafean. Wish he did :(
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

upthem

Calling all past, present and future QUB and UUJ Gaels!
Thursday 15th Decembers sees the greatest university rivalry spill over into the ring with QUB and UUJ GAA coming head to head in Fight Knight at the Queen's PEC at 7pm.
Come and see some of the upcoming names in Ulster GAA take to the ring. This is a night not to be missed!
Tickets costing £15 are available from the PEC, UUJ Sportscentre, committee members or email fight_night11@yahoo.com
Follow us on facebook at 'Fight Knight'

Celt_Man

Bad news from Oz...  One of the Bailieboro lads died in a van explosion yesterday  RIP
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on December 16, 2011, 10:48:51 AM
Bad news from Oz...  One of the Bailieboro lads died in a van explosion yesterday  RIP
Shocked. RIP Paddy. Condolences to all his family, friends and to the Bailieborough club.

anglocelt39

Quote from: boojangles on December 16, 2011, 11:34:40 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on December 16, 2011, 10:48:51 AM
Shocked. RIP Paddy. Condolences to all his family, friends and to the Bailieborough club.

Christ, do ye know who it was? Don't post anything if it's not official.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Dougal

RIP Paddy

Anglo,it's been confirmed on the main HS page that Paddy Bird passed away yesterday.
Never knew him personaly, but ill never forget standing beside him and a few other lads at the wicklow game last year,he showed some amount of passion that day.always left ya with a talking point after a game,either it was him acting the eejit or his ability.

Condolences to his family,friends and all who knew him.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

anglocelt39

Quote from: Dougal on December 16, 2011, 01:15:06 PM
RIP Paddy

Anglo,it's been confirmed on the main HS page that Paddy Bird passed away yesterday.
Never knew him personaly, but ill never forget standing beside him and a few other lads at the wicklow game last year,he showed some amount of passion that day.always left ya with a talking point after a game,either it was him acting the eejit or his ability.

Condolences to his family,friends and all who knew him.

Bloody hell. Long and all as I'm gone from the place I'd have a good idea of who the family are. Stuff like this is always terrible but to happen so far away and in the weeks leading up to Christmas just makes it so much worse. Very very tough on the family too in terms of sheer logistics, if an accident like that happened in Sydney or Melbourne you'd have a very big expat community to fall back on at times like this. Mind you, from what I've heard of Paddy, Australia's  top end and himself would have been well matched.

RIP and condolences to his family and friends
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Very sad news news indeed. My condolences to his family and friends.