Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 24, 2011, 11:30:16 PM
Anglocelt. First off this "story" came from the printed press, not screen jockeys. The herald, sun, star and the anglocelt had the story.

Calling Johnston one of our most committed players is a serious stretch. Leaving that aside this is not about a player deciding he wants to move away for some reason. This is about a lad throwing his toys out of the pram because a manager had the audacity to drop him. Nothing more. I actually hope that this is all untrue. When a player gets dropped he has two choices, fight back or quit. We all know the type we want and you alluded to that in your comments on the u21 and minors.

He is 27, in his prime. The "young lad" defence is wearing thin. I'm interested in what he does because our most talented player quitting on his Cavan career is not good for Cavan gaa. But neither is having talented players that create other problems, which only the management really know.

Poor form earlier by Ollie trying to draw parallels between this and Brennan/nesty. Totally different.

Agree with all of that.

boojangles

Most of this talk is irrelevant and probably idle speculation anyway. Unless any of the lads are willing to transfer clubs or jobs then they will not get playing for another county. That is the rules.

It really is a shame that in Cavan we just can't get all our best players pulling the one way for the good of the county.
We are limited when it comes to talent in Cavan. I really feel Val has mis-managed this whole situation. He/They have obviously decided they are going with a new approach this year, which is fair enough. BUT would it really have killed him to meet these lads face to face and tell them his plans and that basically that they were not part of them. It would have saved all this bullshit in the newspapers and the usual headlines for the wrong reasons when it comes to Cavan GAA.
My opinion as regards Jelly is this. Val should have met him face to face if he had a problem with him. (Which he obviously has). Told him what he expected of him and every other player and that if he wasn't willing to commit to that then he would not be wanted.
A good manager can deal with all sorts of personalities and can blend them into a team.

Denn Forever

We'll see the man management skills of Morrison now.

Is there not an embargo of training at the minute? And yet the team is playing in the Fitzsimons Cup shield final on Saturday.  I'd say Seanie is enjoying the break at the moment.

Roll on February.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: boojangles on November 25, 2011, 10:04:26 PM
Most of this talk is irrelevant and probably idle speculation anyway. Unless any of the lads are willing to transfer clubs or jobs then they will not get playing for another county. That is the rules.

It really is a shame that in Cavan we just can't get all our best players pulling the one way for the good of the county.
We are limited when it comes to talent in Cavan. I really feel Val has mis-managed this whole situation. He/They have obviously decided they are going with a new approach this year, which is fair enough. BUT would it really have killed him to meet these lads face to face and tell them his plans and that basically that they were not part of them. It would have saved all this bullshit in the newspapers and the usual headlines for the wrong reasons when it comes to Cavan GAA.
My opinion as regards Jelly is this. Val should have met him face to face if he had a problem with him. (Which he obviously has). Told him what he expected of him and every other player and that if he wasn't willing to commit to that then he would not be wanted.
A good manager can deal with all sorts of personalities and can blend them into a team.

Agree for sure the manager should have met the players and told them the story. I have grave doubts about Andrews but he still has the right to choose who he wants on his panel and that is the bottom line.

Celt_Man

First time commenting on this whole situation but Boojangles' post hits the nail on the head and is word for word exactly what I feel too.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 25, 2011, 10:43:37 PM

Agree for sure the manager should have met the players and told them the story. I have grave doubts about Andrews but he still has the right to choose who he wants on his panel and that is the bottom line.

Yes, but there is no consistency in what he has done. Bringing in new lads who may or may not be committed. Keeping lads whos commitment could be questioned over the last few years.
Anyway I hope it all works out for them.
IMO they should all have been given a few months break (with their own programmes) and go hammer and thongs at it straight after Xmas. I really don't know how some of these boys can maintain the hunger year in, year out. Maybe that is half the problem.........

cavanmaniac

Maybe this - again, only if all these rumours actually have any substance - is Val's attempt at a clean sweep in an effort to get consistency from now on in terms of personnel and their commitment. Two past managers have alluded to the problem of there being a number of shapers on the panel for quite a while and we here too have discussed whether it's better to focus on the short term and accommodate these half-hearts, or instead take the pain of culling them in one fell swoop and just going with whatever lads are available that will do the thing right, 100%.

I've always favoured the latter and although I share everyone's reservations about whether Andrews  is the man you'd want at the tiller for ushering in what may be our shot at a brave new dawn for the county team, I support the general motivation underpinning his actions. We'll just have to see what happens from here on and find out how much truth there are in the stories.

The supreme irony is that if Jelly does go to another county side, he'll have precisely the type of motivation to knuckle down and show everyone what he's capable of, and I'd expect him to prosper. What's saddest about it is that, as I'd speculate, people closer to him than us, i.e. the management team, believe for whatever reasons that he can't do this same knuckling down for his own county and instead of rising to the challenge in his own land he thinks it better to do so elsewhere. He'd also be a pariah in Cavan for years to come and part of me feels sorry for him on a personal level if that comes to pass, although I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

But maybe that's all jumping the gun a little, we'll see what happens from here on.

anglocelt39

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 25, 2011, 10:43:37 PM

100% in agreement with you Myles on the bit I have highlighted as I am in agreement with a lot of what you post. Following on from this logic I also assume that you would agree that private citizens who happen to play GAA in an amateur capacity are entitled to all of the following:
-decline an invitation to be part of a county panel;
-if they accept an invitation to be part of a county panel to put a level of effort in that they are happy with (if that doesn't suit the management or selectors they have a remedy they can exercise);
-drop out of a county panel
-decide to switch county or club allegiances.

Assuming you accept all of the above ( and I find it hard to see how any sensible person would not) you will then possibly accept that it might be inappropriate for faceless internet posters to be making subjective, judgmental comments on a players decisions in any of the above areas, all the more so when we are dealing with speculation as opposed to fact.

To cut to the chase, the personal decisions of any lad up at home who just happen to play a bit of GAA are !"££¬ all of my business. Come to think of it, they are probably none of yours either.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

The last point is not so simple as it goes against the ethos of the gaa. There are rules about it, you can't just decide to go and play for any team you feel like. You have to be living or working in the area of the new team. We are all faceless internet posters here, yourself included. We are all entitled to give our opinion just like all the lads in the pubs of Cavan tonight who will be expressing opinions. Mine is simple. If you get a knock back you fight back. You don't quit. Any player who left out of the panel and immediately decides to transfer to another county has in that act justified the managers decision to drop him in the first place.

BigMac

I'm not really taking sides in this, as I can see the points on both sides of the argument, but what I am wondering about it the references to Nesty and Brennan. I can understand completely how Mickey Brennan could play for Cavan, due to him living and working in the county, and playing club football with Drumalee, but as far as I'm aware Nesty didn't do either of those? Is it not the same thing for him to live and work in Dublin and play his club football in Cavan, as Jelly playing for Kildare? People are saying Johnson needs to leave the gaels / his job in Breffni College if he wants to play for Kildare - but Nesty didn't do any of these things - as far as I am aware. This is purely an innocent question - I'm not trying to stir it up. Also isn't Lyng working in Mayo - so he could play for them if he wanted to, without leaving the gaels??

cavanforever

Bigmac nestys parents are both from cavan and currently live there so this is how he is eligible. on the other hand johnson has no connections with kildare

tommysmith

Anyone have any news or want to make up something to get things going here?

Denn Forever

Dermot McCabe drafted into the revised Cavan Panel.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tommysmith

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 30, 2011, 04:48:30 PM
Dermot McCabe drafted into the revised Cavan Panel.

There is no panel  :D

Take your goals

Going back to the johnston story, I was always one of johnstons biggest fans as i recognise the ability he has and the joy he brought to cavan fans during a barren spell for cavan football.. It now appears that he is no longer wanted by the cavan management, also there are a few fans that are happy to see him off the panel... I for one will fully support him if he chooses to go to kildare.. It would be a shame if his intercounty career was ended at 27 by a journeyman manager that feels this is good for cavan football..