Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ollie

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 23, 2011, 04:39:19 PM
Quote from: Ollie on November 23, 2011, 04:04:49 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 23, 2011, 12:47:58 PM
There is a few from Cavan Gaels who post on here like Ollie, Maybe they would have better inside information as to whether Johnston was leaving the gaels.. He has to transfer to a club to play with Kildare. All other clubs would be delighted, he might not have been great with the county but still unplayable for the gaels, for most of the year anyway.

Have no inside information to report Rodney!! Jelly is 27 now at should be approaching is prime as a footballer. The man has tones of ability and is class act and any right minded person would agree that he is too good not to be playing inter county football. If Cavan want to move on without him and focus on the younger players then that's a decision that we all just have to accept regardless if we agree with it or not.

In no way can the Sean be deemed a "traitor" if he was told he was told he was no longer being considered for selection for the county panel.

If so happens he does transfer to Kildare he would be a massive loss to the Gaels and be sorely missed but he's been a great servant to the club and probably the most talented footballer to come through the gates of Terry Coyle and nobody would begrudge him or any player who wants to apply their trade at the highest level.

So its out of the question he would just knuckle down at club level and force his way back onto the panel? Its happened before this type of thing. Frankie Dolan in Roscommon is one who comes to mind, kicked off the panel for discipline issues, went about his business with his club and was called in again. There are probably tonnes of examples around the country but in Cavan one player, it seems, is more important than the team.

Sean wasn't dropped for disciplinary reasons or for a lack of form at club level. Val dropped him to make way for younger players. Not sure what you're implying about "one player is more important than the team".
Sean has worked hard over the years to be the calibre of player he is today. It's a pity he's no longer wanted by Cavan but that shouldn't stand in his way of achieving his goals elsewhere. Its unlikely that Val will pick him again and It would be unwise of Sean to just hang around and hope for a recall.

tommysmith

Quote from: Ollie on November 23, 2011, 06:33:49 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 23, 2011, 04:39:19 PM
Quote from: Ollie on November 23, 2011, 04:04:49 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 23, 2011, 12:47:58 PM
There is a few from Cavan Gaels who post on here like Ollie, Maybe they would have better inside information as to whether Johnston was leaving the gaels.. He has to transfer to a club to play with Kildare. All other clubs would be delighted, he might not have been great with the county but still unplayable for the gaels, for most of the year anyway.

Have no inside information to report Rodney!! Jelly is 27 now at should be approaching is prime as a footballer. The man has tones of ability and is class act and any right minded person would agree that he is too good not to be playing inter county football. If Cavan want to move on without him and focus on the younger players then that's a decision that we all just have to accept regardless if we agree with it or not.

In no way can the Sean be deemed a "traitor" if he was told he was told he was no longer being considered for selection for the county panel.

If so happens he does transfer to Kildare he would be a massive loss to the Gaels and be sorely missed but he's been a great servant to the club and probably the most talented footballer to come through the gates of Terry Coyle and nobody would begrudge him or any player who wants to apply their trade at the highest level.

So its out of the question he would just knuckle down at club level and force his way back onto the panel? Its happened before this type of thing. Frankie Dolan in Roscommon is one who comes to mind, kicked off the panel for discipline issues, went about his business with his club and was called in again. There are probably tonnes of examples around the country but in Cavan one player, it seems, is more important than the team.
.Val dropped him to make way for younger players.     Do u believe that?

. Its unlikely that Val will pick him again and It would be unwise of Sean to just hang around and hope for a recall.  Should all droped inter county players look for another county ?

mylestheslasher

He was dropped "to make way for younger players". Do you honestly believe that is true? As Cavan maniac said, Andrews must have his reasons and I doubt that alone is one of them.

One man bigger than team means better players than Johnston (yes its true, there are better players) have been dropped in different counties and they just got on with it. But not in Cavan, our players are so important they just simply MUST be playing at county level. Any county player who quits like that (if there is any truth in this of course) is no good to any team imo.

Ollie

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 23, 2011, 06:43:50 PM
He was dropped "to make way for younger players". Do you honestly believe that is true? As Cavan maniac said, Andrews must have his reasons and I doubt that alone is one of them.

One man bigger than team means better players than Johnston (yes its true, there are better players) have been dropped in different counties and they just got on with it. But not in Cavan, our players are so important they just simply MUST be playing at county level. Any county player who quits like that (if there is any truth in this of course) is no good to any team imo.

Yes I do believe its true. Johnston was captain last year and played in the final game against Longford. Its a bit hard to be dropped for Disciplinary reasons when the no training or matches have been played since then and it unlikely he was dropped for lack of form with the Gaels.

Any player who quits??? He didnt quit he was told he was no longer needed.

Keep in mind that Kieran McGeeney came looking for Johnston. So he can either play no inter-county football at all or throw his lot in with Kildare? Playing with Kildare is better than playing no football at all. Also keep in mind that Cavan had no problem accepting Dublin and Meaths unwanted players. No reason why people should begrudge Jelly when they were welcoming Nesty and Brennan with open arms.

mylestheslasher

By quit I mean gives up on playing for Cavan forever instead of fighting back. No one said he was put off the panel for discipline but maybe it was his attitude, or maybe he is disruptive. Only Andrews and fellow panelists know.

rodney trotter

Also keep in mind that Cavan had no problem accepting Dublin and Meaths unwanted players
Brennan and Smith was a different situation to that of Johnston. Brennan had been playing for Drumalee a few years and than called into the Cavan panal, Smith had wanted to play for Cavan before but there was problems with the transfer. He was on a few dublin squads but his parents were from Cavan and he wanted to play with Cavan.

Ollie

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 23, 2011, 08:12:53 PM
Also keep in mind that Cavan had no problem accepting Dublin and Meaths unwanted players
Brennan and Smith was a different situation to that of Johnston. Brennan had been playing for Drumalee a few years and than called into the Cavan panal, Smith had wanted to play for Cavan before but there was problems with the transfer. He was on a few dublin squads but his parents were from Cavan and he wanted to play with Cavan.

It's not entirely different. They only declared for Cavan once they realised that they weren't going to get a call up to their native counties. Nesty played in All Ireland under 21 final for Dublin in 2003. Not sure if Brennan played for Meath at any level.

tommysmith

Neither of them two left there club, job and local area just to play county football, not that i think it will happen in this case Johnston is hardly stupid.

boojangles

Quote from: Ollie on November 23, 2011, 10:59:25 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 23, 2011, 08:12:53 PM

It's not entirely different. They only declared for Cavan once they realised that they weren't going to get a call up to their native counties. Nesty played in All Ireland under 21 final for Dublin in 2003. Not sure if Brennan played for Meath at any level.

Not true.

anglocelt39

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 23, 2011, 12:10:16 PM
Quote from: Dougal on November 23, 2011, 10:44:21 AM
in the celt this week that johnston has held talks with mcgeeney.it says it's up in the air at the minute,but i cant imagine it being anything else,he'll have to move clubs,get a new job in kildare and i think both county boards have to approve it.

If he does that he would wan't to move there and not ever go home, he would be treated as a traitor in his own county. It would also say an awful lot about the make-up of the guys character in my opinion and would justify his being removed from the panel on that basis.

What does Anglocelt think now?

Don't know what the publication thinks Myles but this poster thinks as follows:

1. it's the close season, people have plenty of time on their hands, screen jockeys can make stories grow legs in no time so I don't know what to think without being in full possession of the facts.

2. The lad in question has been one of our better and more committed players over the past 5 to 6 years and owes me nothing, nor indeed do I believe he owes anything to any other poster on this board. Like just about every other lad that pulls on a Cavan jersey over the past few years he has his imperfections. Like every other Cavan GAA player at all levels he is doing it on voluntary basis and hardly warrants being treated as a "traitor" if he decides to move on elsewhere (and nothing has been confirmed about that at any rate.

3. He's a young lad playing an amateur sport and, to tell the truth, I'm pretty indifferent as to what he does providing it makes him happy. Bit similar to several dozen lads around the county who have been asked to step into the county set up and refused the offer.

All in all would be a bit disappointed if he was to make an inter county switch but we will all get over it. Thinks our minor and under 21 panels this year showed a bit of the way forward, playing the one in all in 15 man game without the supposed stand out performers.

Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

rodney trotter

What does in matter if Brennan never played any level with Meath in Fairness, I don't know if he has or has not.., he got work in Cavan running a bar/resturant and joined Drumalee.. He had to prove himself first with Drumalee for about 2 years i think and then got onto the County panel.. The fact that he might not have played senior county football with Meath is not Cavans problem, they obviously favoured other players. He was and still is well worth his place on the Cavan panel, very consistent player for Drumalee.

mylestheslasher

Anglocelt. First off this "story" came from the printed press, not screen jockeys. The herald, sun, star and the anglocelt had the story.

Calling Johnston one of our most committed players is a serious stretch. Leaving that aside this is not about a player deciding he wants to move away for some reason. This is about a lad throwing his toys out of the pram because a manager had the audacity to drop him. Nothing more. I actually hope that this is all untrue. When a player gets dropped he has two choices, fight back or quit. We all know the type we want and you alluded to that in your comments on the u21 and minors.

He is 27, in his prime. The "young lad" defence is wearing thin. I'm interested in what he does because our most talented player quitting on his Cavan career is not good for Cavan gaa. But neither is having talented players that create other problems, which only the management really know.

Poor form earlier by Ollie trying to draw parallels between this and Brennan/nesty. Totally different.

Ollie

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 24, 2011, 11:30:16 PM
Anglocelt. First off this "story" came from the printed press, not screen jockeys. The herald, sun, star and the anglocelt had the story.

Calling Johnston one of our most committed players is a serious stretch. Leaving that aside this is not about a player deciding he wants to move away for some reason. This is about a lad throwing his toys out of the pram because a manager had the audacity to drop him. Nothing more. I actually hope that this is all untrue. When a player gets dropped he has two choices, fight back or quit. We all know the type we want and you alluded to that in your comments on the u21 and minors.

He is 27, in his prime. The "young lad" defence is wearing thin. I'm interested in what he does because our most talented player quitting on his Cavan career is not good for Cavan gaa. But neither is having talented players that create other problems, which only the management really know.

Poor form earlier by Ollie trying to draw parallels between this and Brennan/nesty. Totally different.

How so?? Both play inter-county football for a county that their not native too. That's exactly what Johnston will be doing if he plays with Kildare next year. So there's one parallel to the story.

A better example would be Rory Gallagher. He was welcomed into the Cavan set up when Fermanagh didn't want him. I think he only played two games in the League.

So collectively as a county we can't have any complaints about discarded Cavan players wanting to play elsewhere seeing as we lead the way in welcoming others from outside of Cavan. 

anglocelt39

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 24, 2011, 11:30:16 PM

It's December Myles, are there any personalities you can obsess about over on the Premiership or X Factor threads. I will get myself an opinion on this matter if and when the facts ever emerge.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Don't watch premiership much or x factor. Try to watch a bit of Cavan football when I can, unlike yourself :P