Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Will he get a game with Kildare?

He will and we will see if Cavan football has been holding him back.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

rodney trotter

I agree with Ms Salpha, where is the loyalty if he dropped and goes straight to another county.. Johnston would be like a child compared to the other kildare players (forwards)

tommysmith

I cant see it happening anyway he would have to quit his teaching job half way through a school year and set up home in a new county.  Its a recession and the goverment are talking about reducing teaching numbers so it would be foolish for him to do that.  Maybe he can take a year out from his job i dont know.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Dougal on November 23, 2011, 10:44:21 AM
in the celt this week that johnston has held talks with mcgeeney.it says it's up in the air at the minute,but i cant imagine it being anything else,he'll have to move clubs,get a new job in kildare and i think both county boards have to approve it.

If he does that he would wan't to move there and not ever go home, he would be treated as a traitor in his own county. It would also say an awful lot about the make-up of the guys character in my opinion and would justify his being removed from the panel on that basis.

What does Anglocelt think now?

tommysmith

I would love to see him up to his whinging on the field down there, he wouldnt last 5 minutes.

Westside

If Johnston was to go he has massive motivation to prove himself and also the prospects of winning something or at the very least playing in a few big games in Croker. DennForever is right, we could see whether it has been Cavan holding him back or if he is in fact a top player.

Purely out of interest I would like to see him go!

tommysmith

Maybe we should send all our players to other counties to see if Cavan has been holding them back.

rodney trotter

There is a few from Cavan Gaels who post on here like Ollie, Maybe they would have better inside information as to whether Johnston was leaving the gaels.. He has to transfer to a club to play with Kildare. All other clubs would be delighted, he might not have been great with the county but still unplayable for the gaels, for most of the year anyway.

sams the aim

R DES dropped players meant to sit out der county careers and der best yrs on d scrap heap cos a manager like val andrews rings them and says he dusnt want them, personal abuse is crazy, if Sean johnston went or dermot Sheridan or mickey to Mayo can u blame them, they want to play county football. And u have a shelf life at this level and to be told in a v short conversation over d phone ur not good enough anymore or not wanted wudnt leave u dying to come back into a set up. if u do not know people personally you should not be personally abusing people. County board farce and a management farce have caused all this maybe someday we will learn in Cavan that d problems lie at board level.

tommysmith

I hurt my eyes trying to read that.

cavanmaniac

There's an awful lot of assumptions being made here that just because Johnston is a top class intercounty corner-forward (nobody would deny it), then we should assume that because he has been dropped it is a disgraceful way to treat him and our manager must have rocks in his head.

Most of us have reservations about our manager for sure but people need to slow down and ask themselves a question: Do they really believe Val Andrews is some sort of pig-headed, short-sighted lunatic who gets rid of his by-far-best forward off the panel for absolutely no reason? Why would he taker this dramatic course of action? What is the reason?

There's a lot of knee-jerk sensationalist stuff on here lately suggesting Seanie has been hard done by and he deserves more respect and better treatment than a phonecall. I don't know if all these rumours have any truth and I don't know Seanie personally or have any inkling what sort of chap he is, but I know what I've seen on the pitch in recent years and that's a lad who, mixed with some great displays, seems to be a little in love with his own publicity to the point where he has the Maradona complex on the field and is constantly bitching and moaning when things don't go his way. Sure he's a great talent but where was his supposed dedication to the county jersey when he went off to New York a few summers ago when his county was still in the championship? Did he break the news by phonecall to the manager or did he, as now seems demanded in these situations, give a lengthy personal meeting to his superiors where he broke down in tears and explained his actions at length? I doubt it.

I believe, and it's only speculation on my part, that the county board has decided to go full throttle for the foreseeable future with only dedicated players who cause no trouble behind the scenes. We heard the chairman talk about a five-year plan. I think the first step in this is shipping out the bad influences and starting from scratch with a fully committed panel who may struggle to find their feet but eventually will and leave us all the better for it. You can have all the talents in the world like Johnston but if he's not putting it in or is misbehaving behind the scenes - or whatever it is, it must be something like this because why get rid of him otherwise? - then in the medium to long term you're better off without.
We have seen in recent seasons where sticking with certain players to chase short-term achievement has got us. Nowhere and beyond, in a hurry. Time for a change.

And if Seanie is such a loyal Cavan man and so hard put upon by these circumstances, why is there these stories that he is very hastily flashing his knickers at Kildare? I'd have thought a committed county man would want to knuckle down and prove the doubters wrong. But perhaps Seanie is made of different stuff. Sounds like toys out of the pram stuff to me.

I'd love to see Seanie in a Cavan jersey next year busting a gut, giving his all and playing a selfless team game. That's the Seanie this team needs. But if, if he thinks he's bigger than the county team simply because he's Seanie Johnston, if he is the tail that tries to wag the dog, the individualist with the tortured artist complex who sees himself as bigger and better than his team mates, well, Cavan can do without that right now. We have minors and U21s to build with for the first time in generations.

Val Andrews knows what an awesome talent Seanie Johnston is, but yet, if the stories are true, he has STILL seen a need to jettison him off the panel. He wouldn't deprive himself of this talent and ability simply for the craic. There is a very good reason. Some would do well to ask themselves the question 'why' before attacking the manager and crying rivers all over the internet.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: sams the aim on November 23, 2011, 02:25:08 PM
R DES dropped players meant to sit out der county careers and der best yrs on d scrap heap cos a manager like val andrews rings them and says he dusnt want them, personal abuse is crazy, if Sean johnston went or dermot Sheridan or mickey to Mayo can u blame them, they want to play county football. And u have a shelf life at this level and to be told in a v short conversation over d phone ur not good enough anymore or not wanted wudnt leave u dying to come back into a set up. if u do not know people personally you should not be personally abusing people. County board farce and a management farce have caused all this maybe someday we will learn in Cavan that d problems lie at board level.

- Where is the abuse on here directed at a player. Its a rare thing to happen on this forum - this is not hoganstand. Being critical of a player is not abuse imo.

I have answered everyone of your points in a previous post, which you did not reply to. Its all the managements fault and the Co boards fault but no mention of how our U21's were not impressed by the total lack of togetherness in the camp when they came in? Have you anything to say about that. The county board and manager are not blameless but neither are the players. Maybe Andrews decided certain players were more trouble than they were worth?? Any players ambition should be to represent their county or to win with their club. If their ambition is just to be a county footballer full stop, well then thats at total odds with every fan of GAA that I know and every club player I know. These guys should go figure why it is their are off the panel, rectify the situation by improved performance or improved attitude and force their way back in. Going off sulking and whinging is no addition. These boys would also want consider their legacy as footballers, having the title of being a "quitter" and is not something most people would want to carry with them.

Ollie

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 23, 2011, 12:47:58 PM
There is a few from Cavan Gaels who post on here like Ollie, Maybe they would have better inside information as to whether Johnston was leaving the gaels.. He has to transfer to a club to play with Kildare. All other clubs would be delighted, he might not have been great with the county but still unplayable for the gaels, for most of the year anyway.

Have no inside information to report Rodney!! Jelly is 27 now at should be approaching is prime as a footballer. The man has tones of ability and is class act and any right minded person would agree that he is too good not to be playing inter county football. If Cavan want to move on without him and focus on the younger players then that's a decision that we all just have to accept regardless if we agree with it or not.

In no way can the Sean be deemed a "traitor" if he was told he was told he was no longer being considered for selection for the county panel.

If so happens he does transfer to Kildare he would be a massive loss to the Gaels and be sorely missed but he's been a great servant to the club and probably the most talented footballer to come through the gates of Terry Coyle and nobody would begrudge him or any player who wants to apply their trade at the highest level.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Ollie on November 23, 2011, 04:04:49 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 23, 2011, 12:47:58 PM

Have no inside information to report Rodney!! Jelly is 27 now at should be approaching is prime as a footballer. The man has tones of ability and is class act and any right minded person would agree that he is too good not to be playing inter county football. If Cavan want to move on without him and focus on the younger players then that's a decision that we all just have to accept regardless if we agree with it or not.

In no way can the Sean be deemed a "traitor" if he was told he was told he was no longer being considered for selection for the county panel.

If so happens he does transfer to Kildare he would be a massive loss to the Gaels and be sorely missed but he's been a great servant to the club and probably the most talented footballer to come through the gates of Terry Coyle and nobody would begrudge him or any player who wants to apply their trade at the highest level.

So its out of the question he would just knuckle down at club level and force his way back onto the panel? Its happened before this type of thing. Frankie Dolan in Roscommon is one who comes to mind, kicked off the panel for discipline issues, went about his business with his club and was called in again. There are probably tonnes of examples around the country but in Cavan one player, it seems, is more important than the team.

tommysmith

GAA is all about playing with your mates, brothers, cousins neighbours etc.  It's about playing for the local club and the county team if you are good enough and dedicated enough.

I have no problem with anyone who has to transfer due to work or family reasons, but for a lad to leave his own club and county just because the county team manger has decided he is not required is crazy.  He would not only be leaving his club and town but also his job and friends behind.

To be honest i cant see it happening Sean Johnston hasnt been to worried about playing county football the last few years so i cant see that changing now.