Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

That same player missed a freshers championship final with DIT 2 years ago as he went down to sligo for rag.. I think football comes second when there is a party on with him ::) He is a decent player though not sure if he is involved with the panel at the minute.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 03, 2011, 11:27:53 AM
That same player missed a freshers championship final with DIT 2 years ago as he went down to sligo for rag.. I think football comes second when there is a party on with him ::) He is a decent player though not sure if he is involved with the panel at the minute.

I would hope not.

PhilsJemmysField

McCutcheon was still on the panel a couple of weeks ago was chatting him and he said he was. Was expecting a "big" clean out on last year. Has an injury at the moment

rodney trotter

There is a Martin Cahill fella from St Brigids who is eligible to play with Cavan.. He has been playing very well for them this season. They are playing Nesty Smiths Oliver Plunketts in the Dublin Senior final on sunday.. I think Cahill might have been asked for trials before but there i think there was something about the transfer to play county football and it didn't go through. Anyone know if Nesty is still on the panel, he should have been starting the game against Donegal..

Ollie

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 04, 2011, 04:43:19 PM
There is a Martin Cahill fella from St Brigids who is eligible to play with Cavan.. He has been playing very well for them this season. They are playing Nesty Smiths Oliver Plunketts in the Dublin Senior final on sunday.. I think Cahill might have been asked for trials before but there i think there was something about the transfer to play county football and it didn't go through. Anyone know if Nesty is still on the panel, he should have been starting the game against Donegal..

I never really rated Nesty myself. There's enough good footballers coming through at minor and Under 21 level for us to be scouring the Dublin championship looking for players with Cavan parents.

mylestheslasher

We do have to look in Dublin for players mostly because players from the best club team in Cavan have decided not to play for their county. Then you have a player like nesty, based in Dublin, who puts more effort into it than these gaels players. Nesty was and is a very good player for Cavan.

tierworker blue

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 05, 2011, 05:33:14 PM
We do have to look in Dublin for players mostly because players from the best club team in Cavan have decided not to play for their county. Then you have a player like nesty, based in Dublin, who puts more effort into it than these gaels players. Nesty was and is a very good player for Cavan.

+1. Nesty was asked to play for Cavan and he stepped up to the plate. Imo a very good player and a big addition to the team.

Ollie

Nesty is a good footballer but not up to county standard. Five Gaels players were involved in the win against Louth in the Fitzsimons cup so they can hardly be accused of not putting the effort in.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Ollie on November 05, 2011, 10:29:52 PM

Nesty is a good footballer but not up to county standard. Five Gaels players were involved in the win against Louth in the Fitzsimons cup so they can hardly be accused of not putting the effort in.

There may have been 5 but these are all (or mostly) lads coming up from U21s. Last year and the year before certain players refused to put on the Cavan jersey. Nesty was willing to and he put in the work and played well in a central role. Its a bit ridiculous to suggest casting him aside now should be his reward for that because we have some quality U21s coming through. A senior team of U21s alone will win nothing, in fact they would get hammered by any county team. You need some experience, muscle and know how around the field. Granted, the lads that are kept on the panel have to be willing to put it in.
I don't know what went on in the panel last year but maybe Andrews just reckons some of the lads were more trouble than they are worth so he hasn't invited them back. If that is the case I'd support his omission of those players no matter how good they were. If he omitting players because they are too "old", well that would be plain stupid and I'd find that very hard to believe.
If I were a gambling man I would suggest that the idea is to get a group of players with no  negative baggage that Morrison can work his psychology on to try and breed belief into it. If the camp morale was as bad as some suggested last year well they were bet before the ball was thrown in. To have a positive set-up you can't have whingers and moaners on the panel nor half arsed boys that want the bag and the tracksuit.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 06, 2011, 12:17:03 PM
I don't know what went on in the panel last year but maybe Andrews just reckons some of the lads were more trouble than they are worth so he hasn't invited them back. If that is the case I'd support his omission of those players no matter how good they were. If he omitting players because they are too "old", well that would be plain stupid and I'd find that very hard to believe.
If I were a gambling man I would suggest that the idea is to get a group of players with no  negative baggage that Morrison can work his psychology on to try and breed belief into it. If the camp morale was as bad as some suggested last year well they were bet before the ball was thrown in. To have a positive set-up you can't have whingers and moaners on the panel nor half arsed boys that want the bag and the tracksuit.

Good post myles. In our many boardly ruminations over the years about the county team and the attitude of some of those that comprise it, we suggested that the only real way forward might be a de facto disbandment of the county panel followed by a new beginning involving only the players who are willing to apply themselves to the standards required of being a proper intercounty footballer in the modern era. I don't know if that's what's happening here but if so, I welcome it.
I'd take two, even three seasons of struggling to get up to speed with a raw young squad peppered with a few old hands, over persisting with the same old faces who time and time again have failed and shamed the jersey with some of the cartoonish shitehawking that has gone on. We're going nowhere with players like that on board dragging the thing down for everyone and the evidence of the last few seasons show we're in a hurry to get there as well. So by all means, clear the decks. If nothing else we could all at least get behind lads representing us on the field who we can believe have Cavan in their hearts and are giving it a fair crack, instead of the other shapers who have of course made contributions in their own way but sadly do not have the requisite determination or commitment. That's a real foundation on which to build and a platform to move forward with, and possibly what the county board meant when it announced its five year plan.

PhilsJemmysField

Was at a cracking U21 game between 4 clubs on Sunday which shows that amalgamations may well be the way forward. Lavey Killinkere vs Ramor Munchies. The number 11 chap for Ramor was excellent. Jack Brady showed well. Lavey combo where Chris Conroy was excellent. Also we do a bit of moaning here about refs Mickey Lee let it flow with a fair share of hits going in. Good strong hard physical game of football. Any word from the other games

CC1

Desperately disappointed after our game yesterday, we just never got going really and should really have kicked on after our goal. Things just didn't go well for us on the day and fair play to Cremartin their purple patch at the start of the second half made the difference. Good team and physically very strong, I reckon they can win it out if they take their chances in front of goal instead of looking to get goals all of the time.

Great year for us, and I'm delighted that we got the medal that we all wanted for years. Hopefully we can build on it from next year. Great to see two of the lads getting three major medals this year also, a Ulster Minor medal, Junior Championship and Minor Championship isn't a bad haul. Hopefully they along with the rest of the lads can do well in the u21 and Ulster Minor Club Championship too.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

boojangles

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on November 07, 2011, 09:33:52 AM
Was at a cracking U21 game between 4 clubs on Sunday which shows that amalgamations may well be the way forward. Lavey Killinkere vs Ramor Munchies. The number 11 chap for Ramor was excellent. Jack Brady showed well. Lavey combo where Chris Conroy was excellent. Also we do a bit of moaning here about refs Mickey Lee let it flow with a fair share of hits going in. Good strong hard physical game of football. Any word from the other games

Was there myself. Great game of football. Amalgamations have definitely improved the standard overall. Fair play to Assan Gaels, they deserved their win.
Newtown Gaels beat Cavan Gaels.
St Joes beat Redbridge.

Westside

Johnston amongst six axed from Cavan panel
09 November 2011

Sean Johnston has been dropped from the Cavan squad by team manager Val Andrews.Cavan manager Val Andrews has sensationally dropped star forward Sean Johnston from his squad in a move which has rocked the Breffni County.

Andrews, who was joint-manager along with Terry Hyland last season, has assumed full control for next season and has left Johnston out of his plans for 2012, while two-time All Star nominee goalkeeper James Reilly has also been cut from last year's panel.

Johnston's Cavan Gaels clubmate Michael Lyng is another big name which joins the list of omissions, as do Cian Mackey, Dermot Sheridan and Dublin native Gareth 'Nesty Smith, who was brought in by Tommy Carr in 2010 and played in St Oliver Plunketts' Dublin SFC final defeat to St Brigid's last weekend.

While the latter three had struggled to nail down a regular place in the team in 2011, Johnston's exclusion from the squad comes as a major shock, as does the omission of Drung net-minder Reilly, who has proved a hero for Cavan so many times in the past.

All six players were told in individual phone calls by members of the team management that their services were not required next year

Confirmation at last.. And the wording of the article would suggest that this was released to answer the HS crowd.
The exclusions themselves are interesting if nothing else. We can't sink much further (unless we hit Div 4 of course) so at least this might answer some of the questions about commitment and bad influences in the panel.

Who is our sub goalkeeper if Fintan is now No. 1?

cavanforever

at present i believe finatan reilly and jamie leahy from castlerahan are the only 2 keepers on the panel. surely o mara will be number 1 come league and championship if james reilly is not in vals plans