Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

One of the u21 players going under the name "kingpike" was fairly critical of the senior managment and said he was happy he was not involved with- this was after the Donegal game.. Basically saying that he heard from felloew u21 players it wasn't a happy camp etc and was glad he wasn't on the panel.. i doubt Andrews would have been inpressed with that either.

rodney trotter

looked at hoganstand today for first time in a while and Richiej is a lot more vocal than on here. Himself and sean o rinn run the rule on thier.. Sean O Rinn for a man suppose to be 'in the know' about the county panel hasn't a clue in my opinion.

anglocelt39

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 26, 2011, 07:47:04 PM
One of the u21 players going under the name "kingpike" was fairly critical of the senior managment and said he was happy he was not involved with- this was after the Donegal game.. Basically saying that he heard from felloew u21 players it wasn't a happy camp etc and was glad he wasn't on the panel.. i doubt Andrews would have been inpressed with that either.

Long and all as I'm gone out of the county and I still don't have too much trouble working out who Kingpike is. Poor aul Richiej, he's never happier than when he's on the topic of the woes of Cavan football. He went missing during the period of Minor and Under 21 success earlier in the year. Sure it takes all sorts I suppose.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

tommysmith

What is the opinon of Andrews on here now?

I will start by saying i dont think he is the man to take us forward and i dont have much faith in him.

Westside

Kingpike didn't try to hard to hide his identity.. The same lad tweeted "Not half solid #Val" a few days ago. It's bad form. He should say nothing.

Personally I don't think Val is what Cavan need, I thought we needed a strong character. I know it's cliched but, a McGeeney type. However, he has been appointed and deserves his chance. The county board have their plan and need to be allowed implement it as they see fit. If that involves Val Andrews then we must trust that decision. I believe he is there for love of the game and not for his pocket, he has a genuine love for Cavan football, which I like.

Some of the abuse he has received, particularly on the Hoganstand, is a disgrace. People suggesting that he didn't implement the U-21s gameplan against Donegal in the Seniors because he was afraid Hyland would get the credit!! Shocking accusations.
We need to see improvement this year though. No miracles but signs we are heading in the right direction. A comfortable stay in Division 3, competitiveness against Donegal and a win or a good show in the qualifier first round is the least he needs to produce in order to get a 3rd year.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Westside on October 26, 2011, 09:08:33 PM
Kingpike didn't try to hard to hide his identity.. The same lad tweeted "Not half solid #Val" a few days ago. It's bad form. He should say nothing.

Personally I don't think Val is what Cavan need, I thought we needed a strong character. I know it's cliched but, a McGeeney type. However, he has been appointed and deserves his chance. The county board have their plan and need to be allowed implement it as they see fit. If that involves Val Andrews then we must trust that decision. I believe he is there for love of the game and not for his pocket, he has a genuine love for Cavan football, which I like.

Some of the abuse he has received, particularly on the Hoganstand, is a disgrace. People suggesting that he didn't implement the U-21s gameplan against Donegal in the Seniors because he was afraid Hyland would get the credit!! Shocking accusations.
We need to see improvement this year though. No miracles but signs we are heading in the right direction. A comfortable stay in Division 3, competitiveness against Donegal and a win or a good show in the qualifier first round is the least he needs to produce in order to get a 3rd year.

Shoot me a PM as to who Kingpike is will ya westside?

I agree with all that,except for the comfortable stay in division 3 part.
Promotion to Division 2 should be one of the main goals for next year,To expect them to step-up and compete with  the likes of Donegal/Tyrone/Derry etc in the Ulster championship after playing the whole spring against lower league,poorer quality opposition  is a bit much  to ask what will this young(albeit talented) group of players.
They need to get up and start competing in Division 2.

rodney trotter

One of the u21 players did an interview with Gaelic Life around a month ago or more , Put 2 and 2 together and it sounded very much like Kingpike but i could be wrong.

Westside

Promotion to Division 2 would be exceptional for a group of lads a lot of whom will be in their 1st and 2nd years of Senior football.
I just don't think it's a realistic ambition at this stage. Get to grips this year, let the lads gain some experience and next year go all out for Division 2. I would be delighted if they surprised me and got the points together and they need to be there asap I agree, but I personally would be more than happy going into the last game knowing we were relatively safe from demotion.

Perhaps Val is listening to this stuff about the dressing room being split between U-21s and the rest and is now trying to let that U21 bond and spirit be the dominant force, even if that means outing Jelly and Co...? 

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on October 27, 2011, 12:28:03 PM
Promotion to Division 2 would be exceptional for a group of lads a lot of whom will be in their 1st and 2nd years of Senior football.
I just don't think it's a realistic ambition at this stage. Get to grips this year, let the lads gain some experience and next year go all out for Division 2. I would be delighted if they surprised me and got the points together and they need to be there asap I agree, but I personally would be more than happy going into the last game knowing we were relatively safe from demotion.

Perhaps Val is listening to this stuff about the dressing room being split between U-21s and the rest and is now trying to let that U21 bond and spirit be the dominant force, even if that means outing Jelly and Co...?

I agree with a lot of that. I think given our 1st game is away to Wexford and we badly need a good start. Problem is that is unlikely.

Westside

Cavan playing Louth at the moment. Starting team is:
FReilly. DO'Dowd. SMcCormack. MClarke. BWatters. JJordan. RM--Derham. TCorr. GMcKiernan .SJordan. DMeehan. DGivney. CMcClarey .RCullivan. RGalligan

Keating, Smith, Kevin Meehan all on so far. 15 minutes left Cavan up by 1.

tierworker blue

Quote from: Westside on October 29, 2011, 06:43:19 PM
FReilly. DO'Dowd. SMcCormack. MClarke. BWatters. JJordan. RM--Derham. TCorr. GMcKiernan .SJordan. DMeehan. DGivney. CMcClarey .RCullivan. RGalligan

Any FT result for this Westside? I did'nt make the match and hav'nt heard anything about it (been off the radar all w'end!)

tomsmith

I was wondering with all the unrest in Cavan over Internet posting would now be the time to invite Donal back. Donal would have no problem with lads posting on the Internet . They biggest problem
Val has is getting commitment from our wonderful Gaels club situated in the county capital. Donal I feel could step in for a short while until things were more stable.

tomsmith

It's time now to forget about the clipboard men and the diet sheets. Get back to playing old fashioned Cavan football. Donal if asked would only be too willing to help as he has blue blood in his veins. Even the Merc men who frequent the park lane will tell you that Donal should still be at the helm. We sent Carr on the Dublin express. Nows Vals time to get that bus too. I feel and so do alot of good footballing men around the town that Donals presence in Navan last night was the first step to Cavans revival. Out with the clipboard men I say.

Westside

Quote from: tierworker blue on October 30, 2011, 06:08:16 PM
Quote from: Westside on October 29, 2011, 06:43:19 PM

Any FT result for this Westside? I did'nt make the match and hav'nt heard anything about it (been off the radar all w'end!)

Cavan won by a point. I think it was a case of "next score wins" because it was a draw after full time and the second game could not be delayed. Cavan got the score and won. I've heard good things in terms of the intensity and effort showed by Cavan. Anyone know who the corner back M Clarke is?

tomsmith

Does anybody think that maybe a change in players eating and drinking habits has affected how we perform in big matches. Out has gone the big fryups on the morning of a match to be replaced by pasta and fish and chicken and rice. Maybe the lads are half starved as they take the pitch ,and as my auld neighbour go rest him use to say ya can't perform on an empty belly. The drink types have changed too. Lads use to have 5 or 6 pints of smithwicks the night before a game to make them sleep but nowadays it's Bacardi breezers and aftershocks . Donal being in the licensing trade in our town once said the top shelf is what wrecked Cavan football. And I think he wasn't far wrong.