Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

I understand your point RichieJ. It may be a factor behind the reason why Cavan Gaels have never been successful in Ulster but it is only a factor and not the main reason IMO. In 2009 you's were beaten by St Galls, who went on to win on Paddys Day. That day indiscipline cost ye. In years to come it may be seen as the one that got away.
2008 yas went up Casement and beat St Galls and really should have kicked on but got hammered by Ballinderry minus Jelly who could only come on that day.
07 after beating St Eunans yas lost to St Galls again starting without Jelly. Mc Glade was sent off that day.
05 yas bet Latton and again really should have kicked on but lost to Bellaghy by 2.
04 beaten by Crossmaglen by a goal. Crotty sent off.
In that period Cavan Gaels have been managed by men who have won the Ulster club championship as a manager and a player.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at Cavan Gaels here. On their day they are as good as any club side in Ulster but unfortunately they have yet to have that day when it matters in Ulster. I'm from one of the Gaels rival clubs but I admire and envy the set up within the Gaels club. As a Cavan man I would always cheer on our representatives in Ulster as it can only be good for football inthe county if they are successful. I just feel it is too easy to put it all down to the tactics of outside managers.

rodney trotter

Crossmaglen have Tony McEntee and Gareth O'Neill managing them.. Before that it was John Murtagh and John McEntee and before him Joe Kernan all Crossmaglen men, maybe that might say something about their success.. Some clubs in Cavan spend ridiculous money on big name managers ie mullahoran and go nowhere.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Richiej on October 17, 2011, 10:25:46 PM
I was always a believer that club teams should be managed from within.. Players together from under 14 learn to play a certain way. Call it a club style if you like. It doesnt  take or need big named managers to manage these players at Senior level that have come through the ranks. The grass roots manager comands more respect than the big named outside manager.                                                           Crossmaglen are an example a previous poster gave.. So are Portumna in the hurling club.. Average managers who have come up through the club ranks with those players .. The respect the players have for these managers will be seen in their discipline and as we know the Gaels discipline has been poor.. The Gaels have plenty of senior ex players well capable of getting more out of that bunch of players.. They don't need to go outside.. No club does.

Mickey Graham jnr as the next Gaels Manager then Richie???
Sunday was very disappointing,i thought this would be the year the Gaels finally made to an Ulster Club final, with B'derry, Galls and Cross on the other side of the draw.
This Glenswilly team wasnt as good as the Brendan Devenney led Eunans that the Gaels beat 4/5 years ago.
Now im no expert on the Gaels,but there were some key personnel decisions that i even as an outsider would question with regards Sundays team. I dont think it was the best team the Gaels could have put out,and that falls on the management.

Westside

I think it's over complicating things to get into what team could have started and where the management is from. The Gaels were 2 points up in the 60th minute of a game, it's a matter of the players closing it out by whatever means necessary and instead they got caught and gave away the penalty.

tommysmith

Quote from: Westside on October 18, 2011, 11:51:27 AM
I think it's over complicating things to get into what team could have started and where the management is from. The Gaels were 2 points up in the 60th minute of a game, it's a matter of the players closing it out by whatever means necessary and instead they got caught and gave away the penalty.

I wasnt at it but was told that the Gaels were the better team and should have won by 5 or 6 points but didnt take there chances.  If that is the case you cant blame management for that.

angellady

Quote from: Richiej on October 16, 2011, 09:14:43 PM
I actually thought the Gaels lost it on the sideline today. I couldnt understand the managements decision to play Meehan as a defender while the Gaels were playing with the wind.This tactic showed Murphy too much respect..Yes he is a good player but he never scored from play.. Also Sean Reilly was operating as a 3rd midfielder thus leaving the Gaels with only 4 forwards and relying on a quick break from their defence..Was Niall Smith injured ? Because if he wasnt it was definitely a blunder by the mnagement not starting him..
Id have put Sean Reilly in full forward and pumped high ball into him..This tactic would soon have sorted Glenswillys blanket defence.
Fair play to Glenswilly and good luck to them
This result highlights the poor quality of Cavan Club football because the Gaels are streets ahead of any other club in Cavan...It just shows how bad the rest of the clubs in the County are..

There is a long road ahead for Cavan football.. Teams like the Gaels would be better off having Team managers from within their structure..
Thats their biggest downfall, outside Managers changing their style..Back in the 70s they would never dream of playing a sweeper like today. They won Championships with flair and skill and with forwards who were allowed express themselves as forwards.. not as backs..
Those kinda tactics are ok for County Teams but when you have teams like the Gaels who are together since underage its difficult to change a stlye to suit new outside managers who come and go regularly

Awe for jaysus sake don't tell me you are on this site now. Lads this w**k is an imposter and a right pain in the you know what. Thinks he knows it all!! You have been warned! Go back to the hoganstand plzzzzzszzz!!!!

boojangles

It's a discussion board, everybody is entitled to their opinion without being abused.

BallyhaiseMan

Jaysus, i havent seen this place as hostile since the days of Hollowman labelling some of us  as "knackers"  :P

put-it-up-again

Ah come on, Hoganstanders stick to your own stomping ground.

I went on there last week and you need a translator for some of the posts.

Westside

Also please learn how to use the quote function and type correctly. The rows over on the HS looks like ye lads throwing cans of Alphabetti Spaghetti at each other. Please don't ruin this board too.

rodney trotter

Be some laugh if that love him hate him character Tom Smith from hoganstand ended up on here aswell :o The main reason i dont look at hoganstand is that sort of crap.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 18, 2011, 05:20:33 PM
Be some laugh if that love him hate him character Tom Smith from hoganstand ended up on here aswell :o The main reason i dont look at hoganstand is that sort of crap.

;D

rodney trotter

Obviously no relation of yours Tommy ha !

anglocelt39

I think it's safe to say TomSmith is on some sort of a retainer from the Hogan Stand Mods as a resident WUM cum village idiot. How some of his posts and threads  get published while relatively regular efforts at posting get censored takes a lot of explaining.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

tommysmith

Quote from: anglocelt39 on October 18, 2011, 07:16:07 PM
I think it's safe to say TomSmith is on some sort of a retainer from the Hogan Stand Mods as a resident WUM cum village idiot. How some of his posts and threads  get published while relatively regular efforts at posting get censored takes a lot of explaining.

That sean o rinn or whatever his name is should be censored on there aswell.