Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on October 12, 2011, 04:04:22 PM
What is this Donegal crew like on Sunday that the Gaels are playing ? Who are Shercock playing ?

Strong up the middle with big men. However, it was their first senior championship win so they may not be focused on Ulster.

skeog

dont underestimate glenswilly nothing to lose in michael murphy best full forward in the land

Denn Forever

Quote from: Westside on October 12, 2011, 07:21:00 PM
Is the Gaels game going to be on TG4?

No. 

Cluiche Ceannais Peile Chorcaí
Coláiste na hOllscoile, Corcaigh -vs- Gleann Bhearracháin, 15.45
Páirc Uí Chaoimh

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

rodney trotter

Gaynor cost Cavan that u21 final Westside..

Gaels knocked out of the Ulster Club today. I thought they might edge it as they had been in Ulster before and it Glenswillys first time in the competion. The Gaels started well 4-1 up lyng hit 2 good points but after that glenswilly got on top. Gallagher was very good at midfield, he outplayed enda king. Murphy was moved to Centre forward near the end of the first half and came more into the game. He didn't get much supply when he was at ff bar one fantastic catch. He had great nerve to score the pen at the end as he missed one to win the All Ireland u21 in beffni last year. Niall Murray,Meehan and probaly were the gaels better players, Martin Dunne was very poor, he doesn't have the strength for Ulster Club. Johnston was a joke the way he went about roaring at players if they didn't give him  the perfect ball and hitting sly off the ball!

Ollie

Penalty was a harsh decision. Didn't see any foul committed myself but that being said the ref was giving soft frees to both sides throughout the game along with unnecessary yellow cards. Neither team were capable of playing free flowing football because of the over fussy ref. I thought overall the Gaels were the better team and should have been more than two points ahead going into added time. Johnston and King didnt play well at all today. I thought Lyng had a good game as did Murray, Meehan and Maloney. Daragh Sexton also gave a good account of himself. It's a bitter defeat for the Gaels and its a pity that it was poor referring that dictated the outcome of the game and not the opposition.

Glenswilly play a similar type game as the Donegal seniors with a blanket defence in operation along with a lot of short passing. They have the ability to far in the competition. Best of luck to them.

rodney trotter

The Red done the gaels no favours your right there ollie.. A few glensilly players went down in the first half when the gaels were getting on top which slowed down the tempo of the game.. Murray was unlucky with the chance when he ran through for the point, it was a brillant run but probaly should have ended in the net instead of over the bar.. Sean Reilly missed a great chance for a goal aswell.

rodney trotter

boojangles

Quote from: Richiej on October 16, 2011, 09:14:43 PM
I actually thought the Gaels lost it on the sideline today. I couldnt understand the managements decision to play Meehan as a defender while the Gaels were playing with the wind.This tactic showed Murphy too much respect..Yes he is a good player but he never scored from play.. Also Sean Reilly was operating as a 3rd midfielder thus leaving the Gaels with only 4 forwards and relying on a quick break from their defence..Was Niall Smith injured ? Because if he wasnt it was definitely a blunder by the mnagement not starting him..
Id have put Sean Reilly in full forward and pumped high ball into him..This tactic would soon have sorted Glenswillys blanket defence.
Fair play to Glenswilly and good luck to them
This result highlights the poor quality of Cavan Club football because the Gaels are streets ahead of any other club in Cavan...It just shows how bad the rest of the clubs in the County are..

There is a long road ahead for Cavan football.. Teams like the Gaels would be better off having Team managers from within their structure..
Thats their biggest downfall, outside Managers changing their style..Back in the 70s they would never dream of playing a sweeper like today. They won Championships with flair and skill and with forwards who were allowed express themselves as forwards.. not as backs..
Those kinda tactics are ok for County Teams but when you have teams like the Gaels who are together since underage its difficult to change a stlye to suit new outside managers who come and go regularly
I wasn't at the game but the brother said the very same thing. Why play a sweeper? Kevin Meehan didn't play a sweeper against Castlerahan and he got MotM and the Gaels won pulling up. The same old problem with Cavan teams down the years. A fear of losing instead of a belief in themselves and playing to their strengths. He said the Gaels should have won by 4-5 points had they played their normal game.
It is a shame because I felt that they could have made an Ulster final. The Gaels have the right age profile to make an impact in Ulster. Bar Cathal Collins I can't see anyone else thinking of hanging up the boots.
However I can't accept your point about an outside manager being to blame. I believe Anthony Forde has as much influence in the set-up as Darren Chapman. Anyhow bar Joe O Connor a naturalized Gaels man, all Cavan Gaels Senior success since 2000 (8 titles) has been under outside managers. Not bad in fairness!!!!

put-it-up-again

Now BooJ, are you really suggesting leaving Murphy one on one inside. After the u21 final two years everyone agreed it was ridiculous to not have a sweeper on him and there is not a player in the county that is better at performing that role than Kevin.

The real move to me that suggested they didn't really belief in their own ability's was dropping Niall Smith. If you are only playing two inside then a player like him is vital to carry the ball into the others offense.

boojangles

Quote from: put-it-up-again on October 16, 2011, 10:59:43 PM
Now BooJ, are you really suggesting leaving Murphy one on one inside. After the u21 final two years everyone agreed it was ridiculous to not have a sweeper on him and there is not a player in the county that is better at performing that role than Kevin.

The real move to me that suggested they didn't really belief in their own ability's was dropping Niall Smith. If you are only playing two inside then a player like him is vital to carry the ball into the others offense.

Cathal Collins is still the best full back at club level in Cavan. He is more than a physical match for Murphy. If you have 2 good corner backs on their toes you don't need a sweeper. The centre half also can help out. Kevin is great in that role but that doesn't mean you play him there every game.

mylestheslasher

Why can't a team start the game positively, ie no sweeper, and if it doesn't work out revert to a sweeper?

PhilsJemmysField

Gaels missed two good Goal chances in second half. Martin Dunne missed a 3/4 chance in first half. Johnstone from play was anonymous. Overall Glenswilly won the battle in the middle in the first half and was 50/50 in the second. When Meehan pushed up midway through second half Gaels were on top. The penalty at the end was a classic case of Shit happens. But the one thing about the Donegal lads they had two players out the field fit to play long ball in to Murphy. Which is a skill in it self.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Was at the game yesterday and I would be of the belief that the Gaels were right to play a sweeper. I hate to disagree with you Boojangles but Collins was not a physical match for Murphy. The thing that saved him was that only one ball went in high to him and then he moved out to centre forward. The one that did come in he did what he does to everyone, he held Collins off with one hand and collected the ball with the other. Whether Meehan was the man to do the jobs is open to debate but the Gaels didn't have two good corner backs in there cos Glenswilly only played two inside. If no sweeper had been played and Murphy had rattled the net early on I'm pretty sure we'd be asking why didn't the Gaels play a sweeper when Murphy was the most obvious of obvious threats.
Sean Reilly and Enda King were poor on the ball although in fairness to Reilly he did make three clean catches from kickouts. I actually thought that by bringing Smith on and releasing Meehan from his defensive duties that the Gaels had performed a smart move and it took Glenswilly by surprise. They went 2 up in a very tight game and had Sean Reilly or Murray taken their goal chances we'd be on here talking about what a deserved win it was. These are the thin lines between winning and losing. I have no idea if it were a penalty or not but there wasn't much complaining and it's hard to see why the ref would have given it if it wasn't. As PJF said it was a case of shit happens. It will be a serious blow to the Gaels mentally, especially to the likes of Lyng, Johnstone,Chesty,Dominic etc. who have been through this all before.

sans pessimism

Gaels will have to get Joe the Mayoman back to manage them
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"