Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Congrats to Shercock, it's been a long time coming.

Best of luck to our Ladies again today. Both teams will feel they didn't play to their potential last week but Cavan have the slight mental edge after getting out of Jail. It looks like we could be in for another soaking but it would be fantastic to see Aisling lift the cup. An Cabhan Abu!!

mylestheslasher

Really hard defeat for the ladies today. I can't understand one thing. Why was shierdan taking frees on the left when she wasn't even close with on free while on the same,team you have doonan who kicked a sideline ball over from the left last time out. Crazy to me. I think westmeath shaded it although the best player on the pitch was the Cavan wing back who got sin binned near the end.

Westside

Gutted for the Ladies, the sin binnings killed us. Especially at a crucial time losing English who was probably in line for MVP until she got the line. We couldn't win kick outs then and it allowed Westmeath back.. Aisling should have taken the free from the left near the end, but she couldn't take the free off Sheridan and I suppose the manager would be slated if he gave it to a left footed player.. The free at the end was too far out and too rushed. Perhaps we were unlucky not to come away with a draw. I think Clerkin and Smith should possibly have started the game.

Denn Forever

Well done to Westmeath but very hard luck on Cavan.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Cruel luck on the Ladies. Losing Donna English was a massive blow. She was outstanding. The Kerry man in charge didn't do us any favours either. How Grainne Smith wasn't making that team I'l never know. I wouldn't follow ladies football much but I know that Grainne has been one of the top ladies footballers in Cavan for a number of years.
Anyway Fair play to all the girls, it was a great journey and will be a massive boost for the sport in the county.
Also well done to Westmeath.

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 09, 2011, 09:00:29 PM
Really hard defeat for the ladies today. I can't understand one thing. Why was shierdan taking frees on the left when she wasn't even close with on free while on the same,team you have doonan who kicked a sideline ball over from the left last time out. Crazy to me. I think westmeath shaded it although the best player on the pitch was the Cavan wing back who got sin binned near the end.

I think the commentators were finding it hard to believe that doonan wasnt kicking them either but as captain she should have been demanding the ball. She would have kicked the majority of them with her eyes closed.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tommysmith on October 10, 2011, 11:56:51 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 09, 2011, 09:00:29 PM

I think the commentators were finding it hard to believe that doonan wasnt kicking them either but as captain she should have been demanding the ball. She would have kicked the majority of them with her eyes closed.

Thats what lost them the game in the end. Aside from Doonan demanding the ball surely the manager should have made that call. I knew she going to miss that easy free so why did the manager not make that call. Bizarre to me.

So are they still intermediate next yr or whats the story?

rodney trotter

Cavan were unlucky yesterday, up by 5 points i thought might would hold on and win. Aishling Doonan was very good in the first half but in the second half i think there was 2 Westmeath players following her. Cavan didn't seem to have a clue what to do when she was being marked out of the game, where as westmeath had 3 or 4 forwards who could run at the cavan defence and score. Westmeath had some shocking wides in the second half and probaly deserved the win overall. Grainne Smith should definitely have started the game.

Westside

In fairness to Adrian McGovern, if he demanded that a left footed player take a tricky enough free on the left hand side with a few minutes to go in the game and she had missed, he would have been slated and accused of not trusting his other players. Sheridan should have nailed that kick but the pressure told.

4 times in Croker this year without a win.. :(

tommysmith

Quote from: Westside on October 10, 2011, 01:35:24 PM
In fairness to Adrian McGovern, if he demanded that a left footed player take a tricky enough free on the left hand side with a few minutes to go in the game and she had missed, he would have been slated and accused of not trusting his other players. Sheridan should have nailed that kick but the pressure told.

4 times in Croker this year without a win.. :(

In fairness it was more than one free on that side that was missed.

Its the same in mens football and I dont know where this has come from anyway a good striker off the ball should be fit to kick frees from either side.

Blue06

Hard luck to the girls but like what has been said already, why was Doonan not kicking all the frees.  When you have a free taker as talented as her it doesn't make any difference what side the free is on.  If she was given all the frees there wouldn't even have been a replay as it would have been wrapped up the first day.
Having said that Westmeath kicked some shocking wides and probably deserved the win yesterday.

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

PhilsJemmysField

What is this Donegal crew like on Sunday that the Gaels are playing ? Who are Shercock playing ?

sans pessimism

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on October 12, 2011, 04:04:22 PM
What is this Donegal crew like on Sunday that the Gaels are playing ? Who are Shercock playing ?
Michael Murphy is their main man
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Westside

Is the Gaels game going to be on TG4?