Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Yeah my club is having a players meeting on Friday to discuss the new layout structure for the league and championship for 2012.. Might improve the quality,be interesting if they considered like in Kerry and play a championship made up of amalgamations, if that wouldn't improve the quality of club football nothing would.

Westside

I will judge this on how the clubs in West Cavan are forced to amalgamate.. Templeport Corlough and Kildallan together cannot be thrown into a senior amalgamation together.

Interesting ideas though, bring more intensity to the league.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Westside on September 27, 2011, 08:43:17 PM
I will judge this on how the clubs in West Cavan are forced to amalgamate.. Templeport Corlough and Kildallan together cannot be thrown into a senior amalgamation together.

Interesting ideas though, bring more intensity to the league.

Apologies in advance if my question is proved to be totally off the wall but why can the three named clubs not be amalgamated?
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Westside

Well they can, but they shouldn't. The three clubs together would not win the junior championship. Never mind compete with the likes of the Gaels. Taking hammerings would be counter productive to what's trying to be achieved. Perhaps I'm wrong and they want to throw everyone in at the deep end but I would not see it ending well.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on September 27, 2011, 09:01:48 PM
Well they can, but they shouldn't. The three clubs together would not win the junior championship. Never mind compete with the likes of the Gaels. Taking hammerings would be counter productive to what's trying to be achieved. Perhaps I'm wrong and they want to throw everyone in at the deep end but I would not see it ending well.

Maybe West Cavan would extent to Killeshandra/Arvagh and Cornafean too?

rodney trotter

Shannon gaels/swad would be a strong pairing without having to go overboard with 4 or 5 teams..

rodney trotter

I think the other West Cavan teams ie: Corlough, Templeport and Killdallon would be better in the intermediate championship. No disrespect to them teams but that would be more their level and would not have to join up with a 4th team like Drumlane or Killeshandra to play in the senior championship..

They could win a few games at intermediate and who knows what would happen after that..

Celt_Man

Quote from: Swadman on September 27, 2011, 07:25:28 PM
Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on September 27, 2011, 06:35:01 PM
Apparently plan will be circulated when secretary gets it so will post at that point
Just to get the rumour mill going before any hard facts get in the way....I heard from a man that was at the meeting that they propose to cut the number of teams in Div1 to 10 and that there will be compulsory amalgamations for the senior championship the construction of which will be determined by the Co. Board also a clubs league position may determine its championship statue for the following year ( I shit you not)

Forcing teams to amalgamate... holy jaysus.... >:( >:( >:(
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Westside

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 27, 2011, 10:19:43 PM
I think the other West Cavan teams ie: Corlough, Templeport and Killdallon would be better in the intermediate championship. No disrespect to them teams but that would be more their level and would not have to join up with a 4th team like Drumlane or Killeshandra to play in the senior championship..

They could win a few games at intermediate and who knows what would happen after that..

Exactly. They all have decent underage teams and this is a great thing to keep these lads playing a high level of football. I think Templeport have something like 5 lads with the U16 county team so it would be great if they had a good standard of intermediate/senior championship to play in a few years time.

Also it needs to be done better than when it was done 3 odd years ago. Managers from outside the amalgamated clubs I feel would be a good start. Call interested players in and get them to commit. There was too much half heartedness the last time, players only showing for the games etc. Did other clubs have this problem with their amalgamations?

mylestheslasher

I was part of killeshandra team when we amalgamated as st joes at senior level along time ago. It didn't work as players were forced to choose between training for the intermediate with killeshandra or with joes for senior. It was such a mess it was unreal. Mr king had joes and was trying to force lads to train with him and to hell with killeshandra (who got relegated to junior that year). What I know now is the only way it will work is if the junior and intermediate are run of before the senior. Likewise, if junior clubs want to join up to play intermediate then the junior championship would need to be run off first. No doubt it will all be done arseways....

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 27, 2011, 11:34:47 PM
I was part of killeshandra team when we amalgamated as st joes at senior level along time ago. It didn't work as players were forced to choose between training for the intermediate with killeshandra or with joes for senior. It was such a mess it was unreal. Mr king had joes and was trying to force lads to train with him and to hell with killeshandra (who got relegated to junior that year). What I know now is the only way it will work is if the junior and intermediate are run of before the senior. Likewise, if junior clubs want to join up to play intermediate then the junior championship would need to be run off first. No doubt it will all be done arseways....

100% on the ball here Myles,that is the only way this could work.
Blackwater Gaels(Munnterconnacht,Maghera,Mountunugent) were playing for their junior clubs on a Friday and for the amalgamation on the Sunday 2 years ago when they entered a team, how could players be anywhere close to their peak??
The 3 competitions running concurrently will just not work.
Start the Intermediate and Junior in May
Start  the Senior at the end of July like it does right now.

tommysmith

Amalgamated teams are not allowed in the Intermediate championships.

It's all well and good starting championships in May but what will happen when a dick of a county manager doesnt want the players lining out for the club.

For this to work clubs will have to be allowed their players for games and training and county must come second.

rodney trotter

Didn't know that Tommy, but they should be allowed in.. How do they expect 3 junior clubs to combine and compete at senior level when they struggle at junior level.. Doesn't make sense,. Maghera were part of that blackwater gaels combination last year when they were losing left right and centre at junior level and in division 3.. The county board would want to be realistic about what teams are entered.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 28, 2011, 10:42:05 AM
Didn't know that Tommy, but they should be allowed in.. How do they expect 3 junior clubs to combine and compete at senior level when they struggle at junior level.. Doesn't make sense,. Maghera were part of that blackwater gaels combination last year when they were losing left right and centre at junior level and in division 3.. The county board would want to be realistic about what teams are entered.

Im near sure that is the case anyways i could be wrong, cant see anything saying it cant happen in the rules but i think it came up somewhere before.

PhilsJemmysField

Have now got the proposals but in bloody Power point an awful lot of stuff in it. The headlines are that championship will be Junior played first then Intermediate then Senior with "forced" amalgamations in Senior (they also seem to be forced for Minor n U21 4 championship too). There will be 4 leagues with 10 Teams Div1 Div2 Div 3 & Div 3a (being politically correct for Junior clubs obviously cannot say Div 4) Home & Away format will decide championship played in 2 . There will be holy war when this goes back to the clubs but a lot of good stuff but will be hard to get progressed.