Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Does he actually believe we had enough to beat Donegal and only tactics let us down?? Absolute nonsense. Someone should tell him this isn't U-21.. Donegal going man to man with Cavan are still far superior. He would be better served to try to get back to form (anonymous since the Donegal game in the U21's last year) than giving these sort of interviews.
Also the, mystery U21 player that ridiculed the management on HS, said he played last year's Ulster Final, this years Championship and is underage again this year. By process of elimination....

tommysmith

As a Cavan supporter i just want the coming year out of the way and hopefully we will wave goodbye to Val and Terry from the senior setup and start building to the future.

No building will start until Andrews is gone anyway.

boojangles

Quote from: Westside on August 30, 2011, 02:51:00 PM
Does he actually believe we had enough to beat Donegal and only tactics let us down?? Absolute nonsense. Someone should tell him this isn't U-21.. Donegal going man to man with Cavan are still far superior. He would be better served to try to get back to form (anonymous since the Donegal game in the U21's last year) than giving these sort of interviews.
Also the, mystery U21 player that ridiculed the management on HS, said he played last year's Ulster Final, this years Championship and is underage again this year. By process of elimination....

That kind of stuff doesn't do anybody any favours and Barry should be staying away from drawing attention to himself with controversial interviews like that. But.....
In the full interview he made some valid points about the tactics used against Donegal. He mentioned about looking at Cavan playing with 2 sweepers in the 2nd half with the wind at our backs and 6 points down.
It might not be his place to be saying it but to this day I will never understand what was going through Val and Terrys head looking in at that. I actually would love to know how they thought we would win a game being set-up like that. And it's for that very reason particularly (along with numerous other gripes) why I can have very little faith in Val Andrews for this coming year. If a rookie underage manager in my club used them kind of tactics I'd be asking questions.
Man for man Donegal are a better team but that day the Management got the team selection and game plan wrong. If those elements are wrong from the start then you have no hope.

put-it-up-again

I think to shrug off Barry's opinion on the basis that he has underperformed in some games is a little harsh. If that is the criteria for speaking publicly, who in Cavan is qualified to comment on the current situation?

To be fair to them, he comes across completely honest in the interview. You can agree with them or disagree but they are his opinions and he is entitled to them.

I would also have quite a hunch that some of those quotes were words put in Barry's mouth.

With regards to the Hoganstand stuff I would pay no attention. Sure wasn't Adrian, can't remember his second name, meant to be on it too. That whole site is nonsense. You have lads who are bored, have two or three profiles and just argue with themselves. That is the sad reality of it.

BallyhaiseMan

I must get a copy of Gaelic Life,to read the full interview.
With regards the little tidbit available,Barry is 100% correct in his analysis,
Ive never in all my GAA playing and supporting life seen as inept and pathetic attempt at a so called blanket defence,like Cavans attempt of it against Donegal.
They had no idea whatsoever in how to play it,and that is the managerments fault 110%.
They knew it was most likely going to be Donegal since last November and had 7+ months to prepare for the defensive system which they had seen in the 2010 Under 21 final.
They failed badly in both cases.

I must say in an unrelated point,Barry Reily was a mere shadow of himself this year.
He was the best Senior prospect alongside Givney in 2010 in my opinion,and was terrific for the Stars last year aswell.
In 2011,he was the weak link on the under 21's and seemingly lost all his pace/mobility/swagger which made him such a class act for the last few years etc.
Hoepfully for the county's sake he can regain his form in 2012.

boojangles

Quote from: put-it-up-again on August 30, 2011, 07:11:57 PM
I think to shrug off Barry's opinion on the basis that he has underperformed in some games is a little harsh. If that is the criteria for speaking publicly, who in Cavan is qualified to comment on the current situation?

To be fair to them, he comes across completely honest in the interview. You can agree with them or disagree but they are his opinions and he is entitled to them.

I would also have quite a hunch that some of those quotes were words put in Barry's mouth.

With regards to the Hoganstand stuff I would pay no attention. Sure wasn't Adrian, can't remember his second name, meant to be on it too. That whole site is nonsense. You have lads who are bored, have two or three profiles and just argue with themselves. That is the sad reality of it.

I agree. He is entitled to his opinion and he is 100% right in what he said. But without the irony being lost on me, if you've got such strong opinions which are going into the public domain you have to be prepared for the flak and the small-minded reactions which will come with it.
Lets hope Barry Reilly regains the form of 2010 and he can let his football do the talking. But also lets hope he is judged on his football alone and not on his opinions..... Something which doesn't always happen in Cavan.

anglocelt39

I know a lot of what's put on Hogan Stand is to be taken with a pinch of salt but some of ye will have seen some very extensive postings from an Under 21 panel member a month or two ago and it was clear from the level of detail that he was not a wind up merchant. Long and all as I'm gone from that side of the county it didn't take much to work out from the username who it was. The Gaelic Life article seems to confirm that. All totally honest stuff of course, but really put's it up to the lad to perform in future as it's the type of thing that gets thrown back at you by spectators, other players etc. Hope it works out for him.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

I say fair play to him. The senior set up was a shambles from start to finish and blathering on about "building a team for the future" in the celt in the week before the biggest game of the year is one of the most stupid things to ever come out of a management team (might as well have said, its ok to lose boys this year doesn't matter). And then to take the field with no iota of a plan for the 1st or 2nd half was the icing on the cake. The fans deserve to know what ie going on in there as the fans pay for it. Young lads busting their holes playing all year deserve better. I have no confidence in Andrews, king - enough said and Hyland I give a pass to as at least he has something to show for his efforts. I'd like to know if there were other reasons why Hyland left the senior set up?

tommysmith

He hasn't left it though myles, he is still there as a selector.

I reckon he wants the job for himself and is doing this for what he believes is his own good.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tommysmith on September 01, 2011, 10:15:08 AM

I reckon he wants the job for himself and is doing this for what he believes is his own good.

If that's the case he must suspect Andrews is a clown that will drag him down.

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 01, 2011, 11:27:20 AM

I reckon he doesnt think it he knows it but he isnt much better himself

tommysmith

Quote from: anglocelt39 on August 29, 2011, 08:56:53 PM
Heard our very own Val Andrews sounding off on either RTE or Newstalk after the Donegal/Dublin game yesterday. Somebody please tell me he took the trouble to make it to Breffni last night, bad and all as the game was

He is near as bad as TC was for the media.

Was that the interview he was blowing that Cavan scored more against Donegal than any other team this year?

anglocelt39

Quote from: tommysmith on September 01, 2011, 01:49:38 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on August 29, 2011, 08:56:53 PM
Heard our very own Val Andrews sounding off on either RTE or Newstalk after the Donegal/Dublin game yesterday. Somebody please tell me he took the trouble to make it to Breffni last night, bad and all as the game was

He is near as bad as TC was for the media.

Was that the interview he was blowing that Cavan scored more against Donegal than any other team this year?

Could well have been Tommy to tell the truth I didn't hang on every single word of wisdom he came out with. You are right about TC all right, my greatest moment of anger around Cavan GAA in a long time came the day after our absolute humiliation against Cork and there he is, sounding off on RTE radio about the rights and wrongs of some such team and having a right good laugh with his fellow panelists. Shameless "$!"$!"£$!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tommysmith on September 01, 2011, 12:25:39 PM

tommy, i don't know Hyland and never played with him or against him to the best of my knowledge. Someone who played for him told me he was old school and that is as much as I know. But at the end of the day he is the only Cavan manager at any level to win anything of late. I have heard the players of this years U21 panel speak highly of the sense of team in his panel. Surely he has to have some know-how??? The only thing I can't square is how he was involved in such a joke of a senior campaign this year. I can only assume that the other 2 people in their dominated the management team. Thats why it is good to hear Barry Reilly speak out, now if only some co board people would listen.

anglocelt39

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 01, 2011, 08:31:57 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on September 01, 2011, 12:25:39 PM

tommy, i don't know Hyland and never played with him or against him to the best of my knowledge. Someone who played for him told me he was old school and that is as much as I know. But at the end of the day he is the only Cavan manager at any level to win anything of late. I have heard the players of this years U21 panel speak highly of the sense of team in his panel. Surely he has to have some know-how??? The only thing I can't square is how he was involved in such a joke of a senior campaign this year. I can only assume that the other 2 people in their dominated the management team. Thats why it is good to hear Barry Reilly speak out, now if only some co board people would listen.

We've made a fair oul habit of not having it exactly clear who is in charge for several years now, McIlkennon/Cassidy=right men in wrong positions, Keogan/Grimley, and now Val/Terry whoever. At least in Tommy's case there was no doubt as to where to point the finger.