Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

So Johnston openly admits that this transfer isn't because he's living in Kildare but he chose to formulate a transfer to Kildare when he was dropped from Cavan because he had a few friends from college there and he admires McGeeney... This transfer should NOT go through.

cogito

By Martin Breheny
Saturday March 31 2012
IN early February, a Cavan man who works as a teacher in his home town issued an invitation to a tea party in Straffan, Co Kildare.

Seanie Johnston, probably the most recognisable name in Cavan football for quite some time but deemed surplus to requirements this year, wanted to prove that he was now living in Straffan so as to assist a transfer move which would make him eligible to play for Kildare.

His message to those who queried his domicile claims was simple: "Come down to tea (in Straffan). You're more than welcome."

Had anybody taken up the offer, they would have been entertained at an address in Straffan Gate estate.

The kettle would have been boiled, using electricity or gas provided by Airtricity. Correspondence between Johnston and Airtricity would later figure in the deliberations by the GAA's Central Competitions Control Committee as they considered the player's application for a switch of clubs from Cavan Gaels to St Kevin's in Staplestown, around seven miles from Straffan.

Ultimately, the CCCC rejected Johnston's request for a transfer, explaining that the decision was "primarily on the basis that permanent residence at Straffan Gate had not been established to the satisfaction of the committee."

It ended an intriguing four-month saga which has brought the complex question of transfers back into sharp focus. Indeed, it's likely that this case was behind a motion which Central Council will bring to Congress next Saturday week, proposing that a player must have played in club championships in a given county in the previous or current year in order to be eligible to play at inter-county level with that county.

The Johnston case appears to be over, but the minutiae of how it was shipwrecked on the jagged eligibility rocks are very interesting.

It has now emerged that the CCCC were influenced by criteria other than place of residence when considering Johnston's transfer request. Indeed, even if Johnston had fulfilled certain residency requirements, his transfer might still have been denied on the basis that it ran contrary to the GAA's ethos.

In their written decision, which has been seen by the Irish Independent, CCCC queries were raised about the ethical basis for Johnston's transfer request.

"Concerns were expressed that even had permanent residency been satisfactorily demonstrated, the primary, if not sole, purpose of this residency appeared from the evidence gathered to be to enable the player to play inter-county football with a county to which he could claim no obvious allegiance.

"This, in the opinion of the committee, was in itself, contrary to the Association's ethos as outlined in rule."

There is no specific definition of 'permanent residency' in the GAA's Official Guide, so CCCC used criteria applied "by other establishments and financial institutions, as well as oral evidence".

In Johnston's case, they had a lease agreement for an address in Straffan and correspondence between the player and Airtricity. However, according to the minutes of their meeting, CCCC didn't regard that as sufficient.

"It was noted that a lease is not generally accepted as proof of residency; it was also noted that the email showing new ownership of the gas and electricity supply for the address in question should be considered for what it's worth but that little else of substance had been produced to support the residency claim.

acceptable

"From research, it was pointed out that other items that might have been produced, and are generally acceptable, included bank or financial statements, household insurance policies, vehicle insurance policies, revenue commissioners' documents etc," noted the CCCC findings.

What transpired between the CCCC and senior Kildare officials at the meeting, which was called to discuss the Johnston transfer on March 8, is also very interesting.

Kildare representatives -- county chairman John McMahon and county secretary Kathleen O'Neill -- informed the CCCC that county selector Niall Carew had told them a lease arrangement was in place for Johnston at an address in Straffan and correspondence between the player and Airtricity had also been provided.

Asked why a Cavan man, working locally, would live in Straffan, thus embarking on a 90-minute daily commute to work, McMahon replied that "he (Johnston) has moved to Kildare because he is surplus to requirements in Cavan and wants to continue to play inter-county football".

O'Neill explained that, in her opinion, one of the reasons Johnston moved to Kildare was to continue to work with Julie Davis, strength and conditioning coach to the Kildare team, whom he rated very highly since his days in DCU.

The CCCC asked if there was any relevance to Pat Mangan's involvement in the transfer request as he had delivered the lease (supporting's Johnston's residency in Straffan) to Croke Park.

They were told that Mangan is chairman of Club Kildare and a noted fundraiser on behalf of county teams, particularly the senior footballers.

However, the officers told the CCCC that they didn't know why Mangan was the person who delivered the lease details to Croke Park and explained that he had no involvement in the transfer or in the affairs of the Kildare board.

Nor could they explain why a registered letter sent to Johnston in Straffan had been returned "unknown at this address". However, they pointed out that An Post would usually drop a docket in the letter box if a delivery could not be made.

Asked if they could state categorically that Johnston was permanently resident in Straffan, McMahon replied that he could not but, as far as they knew, the declaration was correct. O'Neill said she had signed the transfer "in good faith" and did not know what additional work could have been carried out to establish Johnston's residency status.

McMahon told the CCCC that Johnston had received no guarantees from the Kildare management regarding a place on the team.

The CCCC ruled that the documentation provided to support Johnston's claims that he was permanently resident in Straffan weren't adequate. However, it's their contention that the application was contrary to the Association's ethos, which requires greater clarification.

Effectively, the committee decided that a player's desire to perform at the highest level ran contrary to the GAA's ethos, even in circumstances where his own county no longer wanted him.

In an interview with the Irish Independent in January, Johnston said that he was resident in Kildare, and since he was no longer required by his native Cavan, he wanted to try his luck elsewhere.

"I'm 27 and I want to continue playing inter-county football. I'm resident in Kildare now and I'm surplus to requirements in Cavan," he said.

"That much was made clear from the 10-second conversation I had with the manager (Val Andrews) last October. I still feel I have lot of contribute at inter-county level. You only have a short time at this level and I'd like to make it count."

As of now, Johnston's inter-county ambitions have stalled, leaving him in a strange limbo where his home county doesn't want him, while Kildare's Lilywhite love must go unrequited.

- Martin Breheny

mylestheslasher

Ah, Seanies girlfriend over in the sindo is really doing her best today for him - good old Martina Breheny.

Denn Forever

Our draw for Senior Championship.  ***k.

Group 2
Denn
Kingscourt Stars
Cavan Gaels
Lavey

Full Draw for everyone else.
http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=165758
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Any team news for tomorrow, wouldnt be an incredible thing to make 3 u21 finals in 3 years given all the barren years before. Its going to take a huge effort from the lads as derry look a serious prospect. Anyone have throw in time.

Denn Forever

means what he says...

Student Dissertation

Hi, I'm a final year student in the University of Ulster compiling my dissertation on Sports Nutrition. I'm doing a survey on the GAA.

If you could please just take two minutes to fill out the survey,it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SC5MD9F

Thanking you in advance of your co-operation.

Denn Forever

Final score..

Cavan 2 08
Derry  1 09.

A lot of cards.  Was it dirty?  It was a good game by all accounts i.e. Michael Tynan who was surprised by the move of Ciaran Brady to midfield.  Was he commentating on the last game?

means what he says...

Westside

Killian Brady switched with Killian Clarke in the last game too. Seems to be a feature of Hyland's teams, didn't Marc Leddy and Feargal Flanagan line out at Full back and midfield and switch?

Great win for the lads. King made the difference apparently. Tierney is flying.

mylestheslasher

Just back from the game. It was a good win and in my opinion Cavan were the better team, probably 5/6 points a better team but we struggled to kill them off. We raced into a 1-2 to 0-1 lead early on, Tierney taking a great pass from Conroy and scoring the goal. However, a mixture of Cavan mistakes and shocking refereeing let Derry back in and we conceded a very bad goal. Denn asked was the game dirty, it was not but the ref was shocking and for some reason any foul (half of them weren't even fouls) was a yellow card yet every Derry foul wasn't. He also spend 60s every booking writing in his little book, slowing up the game. Just brutal. Hope I never see him again.

Anyway, we were 2 pts down at half time. Paddy King came on and made a huge difference, started winning kick-outs & breaking ball. Cavan also started putting the ball in long and early to Tierney which they didn't do quickly enough in the 1st half. We had the game level within a few mins and then it was nip and tuck before King went in at the back post and punched Jack Bradys free to the net. 4 points up, ref added 3 mins put instead played over 5 but Derry couldn't get the goal. Best for Cavan were Tierney who probably scored 1-5, King, Jason McLoughlin was good at corner back and Flanagan linked well.

Derrys No 15 McGuckian was a real handful, a big strong lad and we struggled to keep him quiet. They had one plan, high ball to No 15!

Still, I think there is more in the team and they can give Tyrone a good rattle. Well done on reaching 3 U21 finals in a row.

cavanmaniac

Delighted with the result. It's extremely encouraging to see us routinely taking down these counties who used to be our nemeses at underage. It seems we've finally got rid of our inferiority complex and are now breeding footballers with no fear of big name sides. Well done to all involved let's hope we can build further and win the cup now.

Denn Forever

Good comprehensive report on the game by Tony Montana on Hoganstand.
So on a bitterly cold & dry evening the breffni blues were really putting their title on the line against a quality Oak leaf team who had previously blitzed Monaghan. Cavan opened in the first 10 minutes as they had done in the quarter final against Armagh, while maybe not as productive on the score board, that level of intensity + in your face + switching the play + keeping possession at all costs were very apparent for all in attendance to see. There was one or two wayward shots from cavan, and then joe dillion bombed over a peach of a point from out on the right wing from all off 35 yards off his right foot to open the scoring. Derry did not get into cavans 45 in the first 5 minutes. Cavan attacked in waves, tackled, harried & dispossed them at every opportunity. Derry were employing a kind of Donegal tactic, of getting as many men behind the ball when not in possession. This is what kept the scoring low & why cavan had so much possession in the early stages. It was hard to break down & to pick out a pass to the inside forward line. Jack Brady went v close with a fine effort from a tight angle under the stand. The ref who i thought was very picky, blew up micheal brady for two illegal handpasses, which seemed harsh. it took another bit of recycling and handpassing to get cavans 2nd point, again it was from a similar position as the first, from one of the corner backs who drifted up the field on the far right hand side. cavan two to the good up and seemed to be bossing matters. Derry eventually found a way of their own half and started spraying some decent ball into their forwards. They opened their account with a pointed free, but their movement and passing showed that they would be a threat. Cavan were winning alot of ball at midfield and this was setting plenty of attacks. Next was the goal on about 12 minutes, cavan broke quickly, and with only brady & tierney inside, the derry players unable to retreat quick enough, a long ball in (which was meant for brady) somehow found its way to tierney who had just being tying his laces & his marker had lost his whereabouts for a split second & it proved costly, the ball was too high for brady, and fell lovely in to tierneys path on the 21 yard line, he still had alot to do. But with the man oozing confidence he drilled it low past the keeper from 14 yards out. Cavan 1-2 to 2. They seemed to be cruising.
Derry pulled back with another score & were starting to come into it in midfield. Micheal Brady came soloing out of defense after taking a kick out, appeared to be in control, got dispossesed, a long high ball caught one of the cavan defenders, who like the cavan goal, had lost his marker. The derry man was one on one with nobody near him and cooly slotted the ball in the net. Game on. Another point by Derry and now cavan were trailing 1-2 to 1-4. How would they react ? Can the management react ? Midfield had gone out of it. Just before half time moynagh was switched with flanagan & sexton went centre back. Half time arrived. Cavan had it all to do. 
05/04/2012 09:45:08
tony.montana
County: Cavan

1144094  Two cups of tea & some chocolate later, the teams emerged. Paddy King was on for killian brady in midfield.Cavan started well and pulled two points back to go level through tierney. All square. Back came derry to go two ahead again, one a left footed monster free from the far side. More good work from dillion and a good point on his left from a tight angle & a pointed free from tierney, left it 1-6 a piece. Paddy King began to make a difference, was catching & breaking kickouts & we were picking up the breaks. A few free's were not awarded by the ref to cavan and you could hear their followers groan & shout at these decisions, the blues largely out numbered their counterparts. 15 minutes left, seemed like an eternity. the teams shared a point each again. Then cavan won a free way out on the far side, 40 yards out, jack brady stepped up, he had been quiet again on the score board end of things, but busy in work rate & movement, he hit the the free, was looking good, it was dropping short into the square, paddy king rose highest & fisted it into the corner of the net. Cavan 2-7 to 1-7, place erupted. Square ball ??? Never.. Derry had earlier got a point which i think was wide, yet the umpires looked at each other & up went the white flag, so we'll take this one. A number subs were introduced on both teams. Derry attacked & got a score, cavan replied, still a goal in it. 3 minutes of injury time. Enda O Reilly had a free from the right sideline, kill it everybody screamed, dropped it short, a minute left, derry attacked, got up field quickly, won a free 20 yards out. Could they equalise ? An attempted blazed drop kick went over the bar. Ref blew the whistle & cavan won 2-8 to 1-9 and are back in the Ulster final for the third year in a row. Great team effort yet again. Ref must of booked 20 players, he was a bit picky & never once spoke to a player after a foul, always a booking. But we won't mind, the double is alive & well. Tierney man of the match again i'd say contributing about 1-5. Paddy King swong the game back in our favour though. Lots of heart, never say die & work rate. Somebody or the backroom team involved with this age group are doing something correct, 3 finals in a row, is not easily achieved without having a happy camp etc. Well done lads. Next up Tyrone 

means what he says...

scoopmine

A credit to all involved. Hard work pays off. Hopefully it will give the seniors a boost.
I believe the senior panel is putting the work maybe working to hard that some of the effort is left on the training ground.
The club games being off again is a waste and should be run better.

Denn Forever

Is not just teams who have players involved in the U21 campaign?
means what he says...