USFC Semi Final, Cavan V Antrim, Clones,Saturday 27th June at 7pm

Started by BallyhaiseMan, June 14, 2009, 07:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Quote from: anglocelt39 on June 17, 2009, 09:13:18 PM
Ger Pierson has been around a LONG time now and for all the stupendous games he has turned out in the past he has been next to anonymous in a few as well. When he's on song though....................eamon Coleman seemed to know how to get him fired up all right, take a look at clips of that game against Armagh back in 04, he was up for it big time that day. I'd tend to Agree with Lawrence, apart from Johnston, we don't have anybody, YET, that would be pushing too hard for an Ulster All Stars place, all that might change, I hope, over the next few weeks.

i wouldnt be worried about all-stars a good team performance and we should get to ulster final.

mylestheslasher

I don't think Tommy Carr would have  anyone who isn't putting it in on the panel at this time of the year. So I can only presume that Pierson is putting in the work and being ommitted coming back from injury. Any games in the past he's not been great in are normally when he is playing with an injury. If he is fit he will do the business.

pebble-dasher

Quote from: Glensman on June 17, 2009, 05:54:04 PM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 15, 2009, 09:53:28 AM
Any word on Sean McGreevy's injury??  Anyone predict any changes to the team...maybe Kevin O'Boyle in for Dermot McCann??  I think this would be a good game for Kevin Niblock, good at winning dirty ball, can hold possession and is up for the physical stuff but who would make way??

Hope McGreevey is fit to play. Top notch shot stopper.
O'Boyle on for Dermot McCann. O'Boyle on Lyng/Pierson, Brady on Johnston, with 'sweeper(s)' in round.
Would throw Niblock on for Burke. Niblock and M McCann target men with fast, scoring forwards running off them...T McCann, Close, Edwards. Close to take frees instead of Cunnigham. O'Neill (my new hero) in the hole!
Hope that's ok Pebble Dasher, sir - I got told off when making a stab at the tactics last week!

Thats 100 big lad,  lol
who you dropping for close to come in?
Really hope mc greevey is ok for this game, although young graham done everything right the last day he wasnt tested once and is a shock to be number 2.  Where did finucane go?
I think mick mc cann will play in the middle this time.  Burke wont start and kevin o boyle is a great man marker.  Would niblock have the fitness for a start? 

Massive game for antrim but i dont think the scoring will be as high as BHman predicted.  It will be something more like Antrim 1.13 Cavan 0.14 with ciaran close getting the goal!

BallyhaiseMan

i dont for one minute think that will be anything like the score.
Eugene Keating is a definite no-no for Centre Half Back if Kevin Brady is Centre Forward,Brady when at himself was one of the most underrated forwards in Ulster.
In 2002/2003(whichever year it was that Antrim beat us at Casement) He roasted Peter Reily who was a good deal quicker and more agile than Keating is.
Gunner has to start.

Martin Cahill on Tomas McCann
Michael Hannon on Paddy Cunningham.
is how i believe the full back line should line up.

Glensman

Quote from: pebble-dasher on June 17, 2009, 09:57:11 PM
Quote from: Glensman on June 17, 2009, 05:54:04 PM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 15, 2009, 09:53:28 AM
Any word on Sean McGreevy's injury??  Anyone predict any changes to the team...maybe Kevin O'Boyle in for Dermot McCann??  I think this would be a good game for Kevin Niblock, good at winning dirty ball, can hold possession and is up for the physical stuff but who would make way??

Hope McGreevey is fit to play. Top notch shot stopper.
O'Boyle on for Dermot McCann. O'Boyle on Lyng/Pierson, Brady on Johnston, with 'sweeper(s)' in round.
Would throw Niblock on for Burke. Niblock and M McCann target men with fast, scoring forwards running off them...T McCann, Close, Edwards. Close to take frees instead of Cunnigham. O'Neill (my new hero) in the hole!
Hope that's ok Pebble Dasher, sir - I got told off when making a stab at the tactics last week!

Thats 100 big lad,  lol
who you dropping for close to come in?
Really hope mc greevey is ok for this game, although young graham done everything right the last day he wasnt tested once and is a shock to be number 2.  Where did finucane go?
I think mick mc cann will play in the middle this time.  Burke wont start and kevin o boyle is a great man marker.  Would niblock have the fitness for a start? 

Massive game for antrim but i dont think the scoring will be as high as BHman predicted.  It will be something more like Antrim 1.13 Cavan 0.14 with ciaran close getting the goal!

I'd be dropping Cunningham for Close/ANother to come in. Maybe not a popular choice (and he's captain) but there you go. We'd miss his frees but there are others who could hit them and Close with the close-in left footed frees. Need hard working forward to not let the ball out and capitalise on all mistakes (as I said previously it must have been pretty tough for full backs/half backs/midfield when looking up and not seeing too many runners...and then the turnovers coming quickly and the ball coming right back at them).
Saw Finucane on the bench in 'plain clothes', must be injured.
Interesting to see what he does with Mick McCann.
Niblock's fitness for full game might indeed be a question but his game is generally based on positional sense and smart running anyway so they could get the best out of him for 40 mins.

Antrim don't do massive scoring but if they can limit Cavan to 10-12 points they are in with a good shout. And no goals...!

Hollow Man

QuoteGer Pierson has been around a LONG time now and for all the stupendous games he has turned out in the past he has been next to anonymous in a few as well

Think about what you're saying here. When it matters, in championship, the man is usually either not fit or anonymous.
You should have said "for all the anonymous games he has turned out in the past he has been stupendous in a few as well".

Boojangles, Pierson on his very top form would make most teams. However, we very, very rarely see that form. This year, he had a great game against Armagh in the McKenna Cup and was reasonably good in the second half against Longford in the league. That's it, and that's the usual run of things.
No point talking about 2004 - this is 2009.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hollow Man on June 18, 2009, 12:31:10 PM
QuoteGer Pierson has been around a LONG time now and for all the stupendous games he has turned out in the past he has been next to anonymous in a few as well

Think about what you're saying here. When it matters, in championship, the man is usually either not fit or anonymous.
You should have said "for all the anonymous games he has turned out in the past he has been stupendous in a few as well".

Boojangles, Pierson on his very top form would make most teams. However, we very, very rarely see that form. This year, he had a great game against Armagh in the McKenna Cup and was reasonably good in the second half against Longford in the league. That's it, and that's the usual run of things.
No point talking about 2004 - this is 2009.

I suppose the thing is we don't know how well he is going in training. Larry came on before him the last day so maybe he is down the pecking order. To be honest I only expect 1 change from last week and thats Brady for Keating.

Hollow Man

I think Larry would play havoc if he got on against Antrim.

Fluffysocks

does niblocks head get bigger literally every year? is it really as big in real life as opposed to tv?

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Fluffysocks on June 18, 2009, 12:52:49 PM
does niblocks head get bigger literally every year? is it really as big in real life as opposed to tv?

Nah, that's CJ McGourty you're thinking of!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

saffron sam2

Red dog def. out.

Finucane long term injured.

Grabber to start.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Homer

pebble-dasher

Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 18, 2009, 02:18:34 PM
Red dog def. out.

Finucane long term injured.

Grabber to start.

Any other keepers in the county?  Cant think of any descent ones. 

boojangles

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on June 17, 2009, 08:40:09 PM
Quote from: boojangles on June 17, 2009, 04:45:20 PM
Paul the Gunner has to start IMO at Centre Half.Also if Pierson is fit I would start him also.At this stage of the year you play your best team. Pierson and Gunner would make any team in Ulster.
Steady on Boojangles. I'm not sure Pierson would be knocking any of Mulligan, Kavanagh or O'Neill out of a certain inside forward line or the two Bradleys either. Pierson, IMO, is fast becoming the old Cavan chestnut of being a player of great potential all his inter-county career-same goes for Sean Brady & Michael Lyng. It may be harsh, and injuries play a part, but I'd say some counties laugh their arse off at us when we talk up these players as being as good as this or better than such a fella.
The only one with any consistency behind him is Jelly, despite my other issues with him.
Also, your line about "playing your best team at this time of the year" goes a bit too close to the view that we play our most talented players regardless of fitness and form which I completely disagree with. Not having a go at ya but I think that has to become a thing of the past.

For the record-
--Boojangles does not think form or fitness should be overlooked when picking a team- nor did Boojangles ever indicate that
--Boojangles thinks that commitment,attitude and determination are the most vital attributes in a footballer
--Boojangles does NOT think that talent alone should guarantee you a place on ANY team
--Boojangles thinks that Micky Lyng is vital to Cavans chances of success as our only natural CHF and that Micky Lyng is doing his utmost to get to the level that he knows he should be at
--Boojangles does not think Micky Lyng is 'trading on his name' and thinks that we will see the best of him shortly
--Boojangles would prefer to see Micky Lyng playing ahead of Sean Brady if only for his work rate and tackling
--Boojangles knows that Cavan has not seen near the best of Gerald Pierson in a while but feels that the time is getting close
--Boojangles thinks that the opinion that Gerald Pierson and Sean Johnston not being able to play together is horse shit

Hollow Man

Quote--Boojangles thinks that the opinion that Gerald Pierson and Sean Johnston not being able to play together is horse shit

Sure name a couple of big matches where they played well together.
Go on. Actually, you can throw in small matches.