USFC Semi Final, Cavan V Antrim, Clones,Saturday 27th June at 7pm

Started by BallyhaiseMan, June 14, 2009, 07:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liihb

Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

BallyhaiseMan

mylestheslasher

Homer

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 17, 2009, 01:51:27 PM
Contrary to what many people say I didn't think Keating had a great game against Fermanagh. He was free the whole time but he kicked some terrible passes. I don't want to slag the lad as he is only 19 but I'd prefer to see Brady going in there instead of him. I'd also like to see Pierson start instead of Sean Brady who didn't do a lot last day apart from tapping over two easy scores. Maybe move Martin Reilly out to half forward and move Cullivan out too leaving the pair of lads inside on their own.

My sentiments exactly Myles. I think Keating is a nice footballer but I think he's a bit young/raw yet and I also don't believe he's a CHB.

From the whispers I've heard TC & Co were very impressed with Gunners performances at CHB and he was always going straight back in when finished with the handball.

boojangles

Paul the Gunner has to start IMO at Centre Half.Also if Pierson is fit I would start him also.At this stage of the year you play your best team. Pierson and Gunner would make any team in Ulster.

cavanmaniac

Did someone not mention elsewhere in another thread that Pierson picked up another minor injury in a Gowna match recently, albeit that he was able to play until the finish? He hasn't been really that switched on about county football in recent times despite good enough club form, I hope he pins the ears back and shows us what he can do if he gets a start against Antrim. Something of the same vintage he displayed against Armagh a few years ago when his long term mentor Eamon Coleman was in charge would do us nicely. Antrim will naturally be obsessing about Johnston/doubling up etc. and if Pierson is left free and in any sort of space, he can do a lot of damage.

Glensman

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 15, 2009, 09:53:28 AM
Any word on Sean McGreevy's injury??  Anyone predict any changes to the team...maybe Kevin O'Boyle in for Dermot McCann??  I think this would be a good game for Kevin Niblock, good at winning dirty ball, can hold possession and is up for the physical stuff but who would make way??

Hope McGreevey is fit to play. Top notch shot stopper.
O'Boyle on for Dermot McCann. O'Boyle on Lyng/Pierson, Brady on Johnston, with 'sweeper(s)' in round.
Would throw Niblock on for Burke. Niblock and M McCann target men with fast, scoring forwards running off them...T McCann, Close, Edwards. Close to take frees instead of Cunnigham. O'Neill (my new hero) in the hole!
Hope that's ok Pebble Dasher, sir - I got told off when making a stab at the tactics last week!

boojangles

Quote from: cavanmaniac on June 17, 2009, 05:10:50 PM
Did someone not mention elsewhere in another thread that Pierson picked up another minor injury in a Gowna match recently, albeit that he was able to play until the finish? He hasn't been really that switched on about county football in recent times despite good enough club form, I hope he pins the ears back and shows us what he can do if he gets a start against Antrim. Something of the same vintage he displayed against Armagh a few years ago when his long term mentor Eamon Coleman was in charge would do us nicely. Antrim will naturally be obsessing about Johnston/doubling up etc. and if Pierson is left free and in any sort of space, he can do a lot of damage.

Ye that was me,it was the CuCus game at the wkend.He played to the end but I wouldnt be suprised if it kept him out of training for a nite or 2.he was limping about for alot of the 1st half. It all depends what mood he is in.When he wants,theres not too many can touch him.Hopefully thats the way he is Saturday week.

mylestheslasher

A lot of Antrim boys talking about Lyng making a come back. Highly unlikely in my honest opinion. For one his hamstring is seriously dodgy and for seconds he has not played a really good game for Cavan in a long while. Now that could be because of injury but the fact is I don't think he'd make the team if it were picked on form.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: boojangles on June 17, 2009, 04:45:20 PM
Paul the Gunner has to start IMO at Centre Half.Also if Pierson is fit I would start him also.At this stage of the year you play your best team. Pierson and Gunner would make any team in Ulster.
Steady on Boojangles. I'm not sure Pierson would be knocking any of Mulligan, Kavanagh or O'Neill out of a certain inside forward line or the two Bradleys either. Pierson, IMO, is fast becoming the old Cavan chestnut of being a player of great potential all his inter-county career-same goes for Sean Brady & Michael Lyng. It may be harsh, and injuries play a part, but I'd say some counties laugh their arse off at us when we talk up these players as being as good as this or better than such a fella.
The only one with any consistency behind him is Jelly, despite my other issues with him.
Also, your line about "playing your best team at this time of the year" goes a bit too close to the view that we play our most talented players regardless of fitness and form which I completely disagree with. Not having a go at ya but I think that has to become a thing of the past.

anglocelt39

Ger Pierson has been around a LONG time now and for all the stupendous games he has turned out in the past he has been next to anonymous in a few as well. When he's on song though....................eamon Coleman seemed to know how to get him fired up all right, take a look at clips of that game against Armagh back in 04, he was up for it big time that day. I'd tend to Agree with Lawrence, apart from Johnston, we don't have anybody, YET, that would be pushing too hard for an Ulster All Stars place, all that might change, I hope, over the next few weeks.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

DennistheMenace

Would love to see Antrim win this and I actually think they have a really good chance.

Baker will certainly not let the win against Donegal go to their head and with a few changes to their team they have a real shout at an Ulster final.