Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on September 26, 2017, 07:40:13 PM
The poppy is a symbol of a martial society . The British war machine still sends young men to die in pointless wars. The ones who don't die are often maimed either physically or mentally. The Sun salutes their bravery but isn't there when the marriage breaks down or at the moment of suicide. Solemnity doesn't come into it.

Again it's a charity, set up to remember the first world... don't dress it up or give it any other attention...

Plenty countries sending young men and women out to wars, been doing it for thousands of years. I doubt you have any sympathy for the deaths maimed the marriage breakdowns or suicides
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

red hander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 26, 2017, 08:43:45 PM
The poppy is a symbol of a martial society . The British war machine still sends young men to die in pointless wars. The ones who don't die are often maimed either physically or mentally. The Sun salutes their bravery but isn't there when the marriage breaks down or at the moment of suicide. Solemnity doesn't come into it.

Again it's a charity, set up to remember the first world... don't dress it up or give it any other attention...

Plenty countries sending young men and women out to wars, been doing it for thousands of years. I doubt you have any sympathy for the deaths maimed the marriage breakdowns or suicides

We don't, but unionists have, politicising it to commemorate the murdering scum of the Black and Tans, Auxilliaries, B Specials, RUC, UDR and Brits here, and then taking umbrage when people, specifically those in the public eye, refuse to play ball, James McClean for instance, who are hounded and threatened. Those who died in WWI were cannon fodder for a bunch of inbred European royal families. The British are the biggest terrorists in history, f**k commemorating their terror...

michaelg

Quote from: red hander on September 26, 2017, 09:07:47 PM

We don't, but unionists have, politicising it to commemorate the murdering scum of the Black and Tans, Auxilliaries, B Specials, RUC, UDR and Brits here, and then taking umbrage when people, specifically those in the public eye, refuse to play ball, James McClean for instance, who are hounded and threatened. Those who died in WWI were cannon fodder for a bunch of inbred European royal families. The British are the biggest terrorists in history, f**k commemorating their terror...
I would argue it has been some people's over reaction to the poppy that has politicised it.  This is why some of the super prods over-egg its significance and, as was suggested in a post above, rub people's noses in it.
James McClean also got more stick from people in Britain rather than from Unionists in NI. Unionists who follow football in NI weren't too keen on him before the poppy furore.

Milltown Row2

I get it you hate the Brits, they ain't liked in most places but the poppy is just a charity, it doesn't start wars or make decisions to send ones to their death.. what other people use it for is certainly not what it was intended for...

Cannon fodder or not they died a horrible death and those that "survived" it suffered many years before they died, World War Two stopped Hitler now I'm not sure who you'd prefer to have won that one, and pretty sure it wasn't the Royals of Europe called that one.. if someone in those years received some relief from Poppy contributions then brilliant.. as for the assholes here who stand at the and a UVF memorial on rememberance Sunday and give rememberance to sectarian murders then it's that person who you should be angry with..

I choose to ignore and get on with things, ignore it and it will go away, fuel it and it will continue to burn
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tiempo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 26, 2017, 09:51:27 PM

I get it you hate the Brits, they ain't liked in most places but the poppy is just a charity, it doesn't start wars or make decisions to send ones to their death.. what other people use it for is certainly not what it was intended for...

Cannon fodder or not they died a horrible death and those that "survived" it suffered many years before they died, World War Two stopped Hitler now I'm not sure who you'd prefer to have won that one, and pretty sure it wasn't the Royals of Europe called that one.. if someone in those years received some relief from Poppy contributions then brilliant.. as for the assholes here who stand at the and a UVF memorial on rememberance Sunday and give rememberance to sectarian murders then it's that person who you should be angry with..

I choose to ignore and get on with things, ignore it and it will go away, fuel it and it will continue to burn

It is a symbol used to legitimise past war crimes and future and ongoing war crimes.

A gun never started a war or made a decision to kill anyone.

omaghjoe

Quote from: tiempo on September 26, 2017, 10:33:31 PM

It is a symbol used to legitimise past war crimes and future and ongoing war crimes.

Thats bollocks! its a symbol of remembrance for those who died.

Milltown Row2

So before the poppy what desperate reason will you choose? The Poppy is a charity, nothing else. Other people feel the need to give it another false point is sad that's those who rub peoples noses in it or choose to be offended by it!

red hander

Quote from: michaelg on September 26, 2017, 09:25:30 PM

I would argue it has been some people's over reaction to the poppy that has politicised it.  This is why some of the super prods over-egg its significance and, as was suggested in a post above, rub people's noses in it.
James McClean also got more stick from people in Britain rather than from Unionists in NI. Unionists who follow football in NI weren't too keen on him before the poppy furore.

Have you ever heard of Gregory Campbell? Just read the local papers and see the crucifixion of McClean the nearer and nearer we get to annual poppy fascism time...

Orior

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 26, 2017, 10:49:01 PM
So before the poppy what desperate reason will you choose? The Poppy is a charity, nothing else. Other people feel the need to give it another false point is sad that's those who rub peoples noses in it or choose to be offended by it!

So give your money to the charity. Don't shove it down people throats by having football stadiums do displays, or ensuring every TV presenter and guest are wearing a poppy.

Me? I'd rather donate to my church or Trocaire or Cancer Research.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

red hander

The British Legion has done next to nothing to speak out over the abuse of 'commemoration'. The only example I can remember is over the disgusting circus at Ibrox a couple of years ago when they had Brits abseiling from the stands and parachuting in with red, white and blue smoke flares going, while other squaddies danced round the pitch much to the delight of the zombie hordes ... such undignified shenanigans had to be condemned by the British Legion, such was the furore in Scotland ... where's the other examples of speaking out? Torrens Knight and his mates appearing in court,other loyalist terror groups laying wreaths at Remembrance services, the commercial expolitation of the poppy (see the newspaper ads for vile, money-making versions ... I wonder how much goes to the RBL?). They say nothing cos they're making a fortune

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on September 26, 2017, 11:08:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 26, 2017, 10:49:01 PM

So give your money to the charity. Don't shove it down people throats by having football stadiums do displays, or ensuring every TV presenter and guest are wearing a poppy.

Me? I'd rather donate to my church or Trocaire or Cancer Research.

I do give to charity, again anyone on tv wearing does so cause they want, I doubt very much they actually think they are shoving it down your throat, they are asked and they say aye sure why not!

Raising 51 million a year for the welfare of groups that deal with current wars and families bereaved or maimed will never be enough

what's been said about the symbol being used wrongly is correct, but it's still a charity and big business too, like all the above charities you've mentioned..

There's a lot more to worry about than someone wearing a poppy.. easily offended

tyroneman

As I understand it..the poppy is now a symbol to commemorate and show support for British soldiers in all conflicts....not just WW1....thereby including folks like the UDR....

Does the money raised also not go towards 'lifelong support for the armed forces community'....therefore any soldiers (or members of the aforementioned UDR)  involved in skullduggery and mayhem here in the North also potentially benefit...?

Apart from all that I personally could care less about people wearing it...as long as it's not done to offend or belittle others, it's not over the top and in my face and as long as those who don't want to wear it are not vilified.....unfortunately it's rare all 3 of those happen each year.....

BennyCake

Part of the issue with the Poppy is, it is pushed by the government and their propaganda wing in the BBC, so that ordinary people end up paying for the care of their former servicemen through the Poppy Appeal, in terms of help in their homes, disabled access etc. Meaning the government don't have to look after those who fought in their dirty wars.

tiempo

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 26, 2017, 10:41:00 PM

Thats bollocks! its a symbol of remembrance for those who died.

It was (past tense) a symbol of rememberance for those who died in WWI. It is (present tense) a symbol of British soldiers past and present, living and dead. Including those who committed war crimes in Ireland and further afield.

seafoid

The Brits have to have a charity to look after all the lives destroyed by the war machine. It is not just a charity. It is not the fluffy bunnies. The system doesn't change.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU