Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manwithnoplan

Quote from: thewobbler on September 23, 2022, 07:34:41 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on September 22, 2022, 11:27:59 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on September 22, 2022, 05:19:08 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on September 22, 2022, 10:00:19 AM
No offence but Scor??....does anyone give a shit really.
Outdated concept.

Not one single fkck. I do agree the relegation from senior championship should be scrapped.

What are your proposals for relegation/promotion from sfc?
If ifc winners this year are to get promotion to sfc , who is to be relegated ?
If it's done on league position it's unfair , as many league games are played without county players. Surely you can't penalise clubs with county players?
A sfc club plays championship with full deck including county players , if they lose 4 sfc games with their full deck then relegation is close to a fair fight. If you relegate a team from sfc on the basis of a league where they play many matches without a full deck , then it's clearly unfair on clubs with county players

I disagree.

Having been involved with Ballyholland as a yo-yo club during the noughties, it's nigh-on impossible for a d2 (let alone d3) team to get up to the pace of SFC. Creating a circumstance for more D2 teams to compete in it does nobody any favours. And if anything it opens up a potential for gaming the system whereby a d1 club can end up in the IFC by choice, which should be a guaranteed championship for them.

Top 15 league finishers the previous season, plus the IFC champions is the right way.

Hard to argue with that. It's even more apparent in the IFC, with some hammerings for a couple of teams in Div3, by the likes of Saval and Darragh Cross. The league positions worked well before to create a better balanced championship, maybe the county board will revert back to this after next year, following this season's restructuring with the excessive amount of relegations, and a league season next year to allow teams to find their level.

bigarsedkeeper

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2022/09/20/news/kicking_out_weak_club-2834486/

That was posted earlier on another thread. Do you think starred games in the league and a back door are the reason Down are behind or is it just a lack of players at the minute?

TakeTheMark

The structure can't be the reason when most other counties operate in a similar, if not same way.
Blaming a back door in the championship as the reasons for Down's failure would be crazy. Consider the farce of a championship being run in Derry the last three years, a group stage where all 16 teams qualify for the knockout phase! And they just reached an all-ireland semi final.

stiff breeze

Not sure what the gripe about the current championship system is . Saval or rostrevor will most likely win intermediate and therefore be in senior next year . An riocht were probably the weakest team in the senior this year and will most likely play intermediate next year .

Basing it on the league this year Saul and Glenn would have been intermediate next year . They have both won it in the past 3 years . If a team is good enough to play senior then win the intermediate . Using a league competition where teams lose their county players for half of it is hardly a fair reflection on their ability to compete in a competition where they have all players available

terrifictommy

I don't favour back door system. The back door favours the stronger teams, always has. If they have a bad day there's another opportunity.

The real championship starts tonight. No more excuses, win or bust. Expect a few close encounters, I see the bigger games have plenty of referee experience about them, Carryduff Mayobridge tie of the round. Think that could be a very good game, if MB play ball.

Truth hurts

Quote from: terrifictommy on September 23, 2022, 02:50:39 PM
I don't favour back door system. The back door favours the stronger teams, always has. If they have a bad day there's another opportunity.

The real championship starts tonight. No more excuses, win or bust. Expect a few close encounters, I see the bigger games have plenty of referee experience about them, Carryduff Mayobridge tie of the round. Think that could be a very good game, if MB play ball.

Im afraid the QF will be damp squibs with Loughinisland, Carryduff, Burren and Kilcoo easily going through.
Castlewellan has done well to get this far but they won't beat the Island men, Carryduff has too many good players, and the Bridge do not have anyone who can handle Beatty, Bap or Donnelly. Kilcoo and Burren will walk through, Hilltown and St Peters have zero fight this season compared to previous years.

downtothecore

I think Mayobridge will beat Carryduff. I have a feeling Clonduff could be dangerous this time around for kilcoo as everyone writing them off.

urbangael

To think Clonduff will beat Kilcoo is the talk of a drunk... Kilcoo 2nds would beat Clonduff at the min.

Johnnysboys

Commentating tonight was atrocious. It was like listening to two lads having the craic rather than commentating on what was actually in front of them.

terrifictommy

That game I think will be close, couldn't call it. Might depend who turns up best on the day.
Also, not sure Clonduff will be as easy beat this time round. Burren should beat CPN well.

supersub

Quote from: Johnnysboys on September 23, 2022, 10:54:19 PM
Commentating tonight was atrocious. It was like listening to two lads having the craic rather than commentating on what was actually in front of them.

On you go and volunteer your services.

Back2Winning

The lads had to improvise at what was going on in front of them, most of it was barely worth a mention. Well done to them both. 👏

terrifictommy

No need to insult the lads, I mean, not even close to being a target. Next up will be the photographer or scoreboard person wasnt quick enough.
Game seemed a fairly dull one.

Hard2Listen2

Castlewellan are a shadow of the team that not so long ago reached a championship final.
They seem to work very hard on juvenile hurling but is it at the expense of their football?

Smurfy123

Not his biggest fan and gets some stick on here but Poacher has done some job with that Bridge team without Quinn their best player
Taken Burren to extra time and beating Downpatrick and a good Carryduff team is good going

Kilcoo to win tomorrow easily and then it's the big one is and our noisy neighbours