Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

What other county secretary is on the pitch with the players and management?? It wouldn't happen in Tyrone.
nil satis nisi optimum

AS

Quote from: The Down Way on June 26, 2016, 11:12:04 PM
Quote from: AS on June 26, 2016, 11:04:14 PM
Quote from: The Down Way on June 26, 2016, 10:57:40 PM
Disgraceful behaviour?

The only disgrace here is that these clowns are allowed to stay in these positions. I have made my feelings known to him on a number of occasions and I can assure you I am not alone in that regard.

These jobs seem to be a job for life, the same old faces sharing the same positions, while they are only nodding dogs for Sean og. Yes we have a new chairman, fat lot of good that did. Nothing has changed.

If nothing else the current position in down shows a distinct lack of ambition, at all levels and while I am not saying I am the man to take Down forward I can guarantee you that I will remove him from his position. Where else would you get it, a guaranteed income, while being totally unaccountable.

If Sean og wants to bring this all out in public then let's get it on, let's invite the public, the supporters club, club down, Jim McCorry, Shane Mulholland, the whole shebang. Maybe someone will have the decency to ring Marty Clarke as well. While we are at it why not ask Jim Wells, the planning office and that black hole in our finances that is Burrenbridge. Paddy Kielty can host the event, he did such a wonderful job at the 2010 banquet, sure it's hard to beat a bit of casual racism while we are at it.
Will the Canal Court still have us, I know I'm welcome there, not sure Sean og still is.
So you guarantee you are going to sort this all out!Let's start it all off by naming yourself as you seem to have named everyone who'll be at this public event except yourself.Name please or keep quiet.

The only guarantee that I am giving is that Sean og will be out of a job in the not too distant future.
It's your name that would be required to give your rantings some credibility

The Down Way

Quote from: SHEEDY on June 26, 2016, 11:17:22 PM
What other county secretary is on the pitch with the players and management?? It wouldn't happen in Tyrone.

It wouldn't happen in any other county.

It stops now.

#SackChuckyNed

AS

Quote from: The Down Way on June 26, 2016, 11:24:56 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on June 26, 2016, 11:17:22 PM

It wouldn't happen in any other county.

It stops now.

#SackChuckyNed
Name please or delete yourself from this forum

bannside

I asked a question this morning on this thread but not surprisingly no one had an answer.

The Down Way and Cut The Crap youse are both a disgrace to the GAA. 

You attack one individual, promising  and guaranteeing to ring the changes and attacking the entire person of a longstanding gael. Youse should be totally ashamed of yourselves.

IF...and I say IF..you have remote credibility you will be afforded the chance to represent your views and your club at the next convention then please wait until then until you work your magic and begin the quest of returning Down to its previous glories.

What you will find is that there is no finance to support your aspiration and if do, you need to try to find a few Blaneys , Arkles or Mc Cartans. Good luck by the way with that!!

Put up or shut up. All you are doing is perpetuating a myth that there are a few budding Che Guevaras in the midst when the liklihood is that you wouldn't even have credibility in your own club. But feel free to prove me and the proud county of Down wrong.

I don't think so....but as previously asked feel free to outline just a few of your credentials.

cut the crap

Bannside I have the creditionals , having played football at div 1 level winning league and championship and have served on committees and have been successful in business for 25 plus years, now I'm no Che Guevara but I am calling for change at the top, why wait to the county convention , time to change key positions is now, our secretary should go , I'm not attacking Sean og on a personal basis , he maybe a Gael but he is not fit for purpose in his current post , you also stated we have no finance, it's no wonder when we threw away 550 k and what is even more jaw dropping is that some of the men involved in Burrenbridge are still sitting in the executive and our secretary had an integral part in it, and they sit smugly grinning at the top table as if nothing happened.We can't pay players expenses on time, referees on time and prizes won in the county monthly draw , the latter is an absolute disgrace and hardly shows the draw in good light.The question on unearthing quality players, well that's a priority of year current development squad system in conjunction with the schools, that will take time , but it's now time for change , call the meeting Sean og lets sort this out and invite everyone who has a vested interest in Down football,there you go Bannside , no one has rediculed Sean og on a personal basis or called into question his credidentials as a Gael just his absolute shambolic career as our county secretary.

PaudieSull1

Cut the crap just a couple of things.....I note you say sort out Down football and there was me thinking that we were the GAA and it involved all codes but not surprised at that given some of your other spouting.

A couple of points I would make

- you are constantly berating Sean Og about lack of finance......you are aware that it wasn't him but two other individuals who were primarily responsible for the Burrenbridge fiasco.....those are the men whose ineptitude but us in this financial position which makes it incredibly difficult to invest in what is required.....until we sort the legacy of the Burrenbridge bill we will always be struggling, that is the reality and we are doing well to be able to keep our heads above water at all.

- is Sean Og well paid??? I'm assuming the role is paid in Euro so about 45000 stg based on croke park figures....,working seven days a week including meetings etc at night, constantly on call etc, likely 80-90 hrs a week.....put it in that context then I'm not sure I'd say he is very well paid......there are other paid officials I'd be looking at first such as the coaches to see what exactly they are doing.

- are we sure it's all the county exec fault??? What are the clubs and schools doing.....much us made of Dublin and their money etc but most people don't realise that the clubs are the real driving force in Dublin, they are half funding every coach employed .....how many clubs in Down are doing that or are willing to do it, it's alright moaning about the exec (albeit we should be holding the real men responsible for Burrenbridge to account and not constantly berating those dealing with the legacy).....I would agree the county exec need to do more to set the strategy but that has started with academy etc but the clubs need to buy in and commit nit withholding players like they often do to win an underage league etc so they can be king of the dung heap!

- players expenses etc are a problem in almost every county in Ireland, I know as I hear it first hand and it's primarily due to cash flow and lack of the same....hopefully Croker have plans in situ to address shortly but let's not pretend it's a problem isolated to Down alone....a big issue in many counties why players can't get expenses us that the managers and coaches are getting paid so much....laughable to see people at times giving out about starred games and access to county players, nothing to do with player welfare and all to do with managers watching their own results to justify their brown envelope at the end of the week

There are a lot of things we can and must do better in this county but abusing Sean Og on this board and using him as a scapegoat for deep rooted issues in Down gaa is wrong......maybe we need to accept that the 60s and  early 90s were the exception and not the norm, God knows we haven't won a massive amount outside of that so it might be we need to lower our expect ions for a while to a realistic level and build from the ground up on a sustainable basis that involves clubs, players and county in partnership but thinking that changing the exec on mass is the answer is knee jerk, short sighted and you ignore the fact that they there are virtually no contested positions on exec year after year....easy to snipe from sidelines but not many seem willing to step up

Ps I had a number of teams/squads in both carrickdale and canal court this year so think you should remove your comments about canal court and Sean Og as it's clearly incorrect and libellous

wobbller

Quote from: PaudieSull1 on June 27, 2016, 10:10:36 AM
Cut the crap just a couple of things.....I note you say sort out Down football and there was me thinking that we were the GAA and it involved all codes but not surprised at that given some of your other spouting.

A couple of points I would make

- you are constantly berating Sean Og about lack of finance......you are aware that it wasn't him but two other individuals who were primarily responsible for the Burrenbridge fiasco.....those are the men whose ineptitude but us in this financial position which makes it incredibly difficult to invest in what is required.....until we sort the legacy of the Burrenbridge bill we will always be struggling, that is the reality and we are doing well to be able to keep our heads above water at all.

- is Sean Og well paid??? I'm assuming the role is paid in Euro so about 45000 stg based on croke park figures....,working seven days a week including meetings etc at night, constantly on call etc, likely 80-90 hrs a week.....put it in that context then I'm not sure I'd say he is very well paid......there are other paid officials I'd be looking at first such as the coaches to see what exactly they are doing.

- are we sure it's all the county exec fault??? What are the clubs and schools doing.....much us made of Dublin and their money etc but most people don't realise that the clubs are the real driving force in Dublin, they are half funding every coach employed .....how many clubs in Down are doing that or are willing to do it, it's alright moaning about the exec (albeit we should be holding the real men responsible for Burrenbridge to account and not constantly berating those dealing with the legacy).....I would agree the county exec need to do more to set the strategy but that has started with academy etc but the clubs need to buy in and commit nit withholding players like they often do to win an underage league etc so they can be king of the dung heap!

- players expenses etc are a problem in almost every county in Ireland, I know as I hear it first hand and it's primarily due to cash flow and lack of the same....hopefully Croker have plans in situ to address shortly but let's not pretend it's a problem isolated to Down alone....a big issue in many counties why players can't get expenses us that the managers and coaches are getting paid so much....laughable to see people at times giving out about starred games and access to county players, nothing to do with player welfare and all to do with managers watching their own results to justify their brown envelope at the end of the week

There are a lot of things we can and must do better in this county but abusing Sean Og on this board and using him as a scapegoat for deep rooted issues in Down gaa is wrong......maybe we need to accept that the 60s and  early 90s were the exception and not the norm, God knows we haven't won a massive amount outside of that so it might be we need to lower our expect ions for a while to a realistic level and build from the ground up on a sustainable basis that involves clubs, players and county in partnership but thinking that changing the exec on mass is the answer is knee jerk, short sighted and you ignore the fact that they there are virtually no contested positions on exec year after year....easy to snipe from sidelines but not many seem willing to step up

Ps I had a number of teams/squads in both carrickdale and canal court this year so think you should remove your comments about canal court and Sean Og as it's clearly incorrect and libellous
At last, someone from official Down speaks back at the snipers but carefully worded in the piece is a snipe at a couple of our current County Officers. They better watch out.

Verticalball

I have to say that the personal attack on Seán Óg is completely unfair and has crossed a line, not for the first time. The majority of us want the same thing which is a competitive county team and that means that the best players in the county must be on the field. The main reasons as to why that is not happening are well documented, be it that players are not being approached, are unwilling to commit for whatever reason or feel unable to commit. That's not a criticism of the lads who are playing at the minute. No doubt a few more players will look at things and wonder what is the point. The abuse some people were shouting from the stand on Saturday wouldn't make anyone want to pull on a Down jersey. Morale is low among county players and Tomás Ó Sé made a few excellent points through the week, regarding the Irish players being able to celebrate the Win over Italy with a beer while gaa players would be cut from club panels, never mind county, for doing the same in an amateur sport. If there is no enjoyment to be had in doing something people will simply stop doing it. That is a bigger issue for the county board and the GAA to deal with. Slagging off Seán Óg, management or players gets us nowhere. No doubt changes will come but new ideas and positive thinking is needed. There is plenty of potential within the county yet.

The Down Way

Nothing but deflection from the "new" poster, so it was others who are responsible for Burrenbridge, and it's the fault of the coaches, why not blame the caterers and the bus driver while you are at it. The buck stops with Sean og, but we need a complete root and branch reform when he goes, we need to get rid of the nodding dogs and hangers on who have allowed this debacle to continue. It should be an honour to represent your county both on the field and off it. Good people are staying away at all levels because these idiots are running what is essentially a closed shop.

#SackChuckyNed

PaudieSull1

Nothing official about me Wobbler....don't hold or even go to county board meetings but some of the nonsense on here needs challenged, we all want the county team doing better but some of what's being posted here is just wrong and factually incorrect.

Last yr we could have easily ended up in a relegation battle in Div 2 but scraped some late wins v the likes of Kildare which pushed us up the table and led to us being promoted into a division we all knew would be too challenging for us........Saturday was disappointing no doubt but when half of our most capable players won't commit it certainly doesn't help

The Down Way

Our most capable players won commit because the whole set up is a complete clusterfuck. It is the nonsense to hat goes on with our county board that needs challenged. The paying public are staying away from games, our best players don't want to play, we couldn't even get anyone to manage us. Sean og telling us that we got our man was like a bad panto in Warrenpoint town hall. Oh no you didn't Sean, no one else wanted it, especially not after the way you treated Jim McCorry.

This needed doing over the last number of years, if we wait any longer we will be in Division 4. Act now for the good of Down football and indeed our hurlers, but make the changes now. We need a new approach, new people with new ideas, not the same old cliches wheeled out year after year. Bring in an interim committee to set the wheels in motion, the old guard have had their day, they have failed. They have to go.

It is clear that Sean og has little or no dignity left, if  he has to be dragged kicking and screaming then that is how it will be. But his days as county secretary are at an end. It is clear that he has become very out of touch with the mood of the Down people.

Brick Tamlin

What role does the county secretary have along the line?
Is he actually part of the management team or carry out an tangible role that contributes to the on-field business.
Why is he in and around the team huddle on the field at half-time of extra time?
Is this the norm for county secretaries?

AS

Quote from: The Down Way on June 27, 2016, 11:49:09 AM
Our most capable players won commit because the whole set up is a complete clusterfuck. It is the nonsense to hat goes on with our county board that needs challenged. The paying public are staying away from games, our best players don't want to play, we couldn't even get anyone to manage us. Sean og telling us that we got our man was like a bad panto in Warrenpoint town hall. Oh no you didn't Sean, no one else wanted it, especially not after the way you treated Jim McCorry.

This needed doing over the last number of years, if we wait any longer we will be in Division 4. Act now for the good of Down football and indeed our hurlers, but make the changes now. We need a new approach, new people with new ideas, not the same old cliches wheeled out year after year. Bring in an interim committee to set the wheels in motion, the old guard have had their day, they have failed. They have to go.

It is clear that Sean og has little or no dignity left, if  he has to be dragged kicking and screaming then that is how it will be. But his days as county secretary are at an end. It is clear that he has become very out of touch with the mood of the Down people.
Plain enough to know who cut the crap is but it would help if you could name yourself and may be that people will row in behind you but to come out with all this vitriol against one person is just wrong and dare I say cowardly.

rosskarr

Quote from: AS on June 27, 2016, 01:08:16 PM
Quote from: The Down Way on June 27, 2016, 11:49:09 AM

Plain enough to know who cut the crap is but it would help if you could name yourself and may be that people will row in behind you but to come out with all this vitriol against one person is just wrong and dare I say cowardly.
Aye,we,ll all give our identity.Wise up