Down U20 football championship 2013

Started by Faceinthecrowd, October 27, 2013, 09:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lecale4

Quote from: Mourne man on November 11, 2013, 02:35:47 PM
Squareball your senior teams are littered with outsiders one example I'll give is Niall Mullholland a native from Teconaught ill not bother mentioning how many imports you have representing your senior ladies and hurling team!!!

"Littered" with outsiders e.g. Niall Mulholland. It think if you look at the Bredagh Championship team this year Niall was the only starter from outside the Ormeau area. Admittedly 10 years back Bredagh had many "blow-ins", who helped keep the club going during tough times - not the case now though. Get your facts right Mourne Man - obviously a wind up merchant. I wonder what club you represent and how many "blow-ins" you field regularly.

Down Follower

Semi Final predictions

CPN v Rostrevor - Warrenpoint to take it

Burren v Carryduff - Burren with something to spare

elk

No real surprises today both CPN and Burren winning easily enough. Didn't make it to either of the games were there any stand out candidate's for next years U21's

Down Follower

Quote from: elk on November 17, 2013, 07:13:33 PM
No real surprises today both CPN and Burren winning easily enough. Didn't make it to either of the games were there any stand out candidate's for next years U21's

Yeh no real surprises.  Could be a tight final.

PAULD123

Is the final in Parc Esler? and does anyone have the time it is on?

whitegoodman

Heard it might be at 4 in Newry on Sunday after the league semi final between Burren and Kilcoo. 

Nothing confirmed though.

Courtney

Burren look like strong favourites given their championship pedigree,CPN just might be a year or two  too soon.Donnach McAleenan and Ryan Magee still young though great talents and a steady keeper with McCartan in the middle but I think the match up between Magee and Shay McArdle could be interesting but Burren to shade it.Gerard McGovern developing into a serious player ,this Burren team will not be beaten.

elk

Quote from: Courtney on November 20, 2013, 11:02:58 AM
Burren look like strong favourites given their championship pedigree,CPN just might be a year or two  too soon.Donnach McAleenan and Ryan Magee still young though great talents and a steady keeper with McCartan in the middle but I think the match up between Magee and Shay McArdle could be interesting but Burren to shade it.Gerard McGovern developing into a serious player ,this Burren team will not be beaten.
Going by the clubs history you would have to say Burren are big favourites but on the day its down to the two teams on the pitch who have the chance to make their own history. Burren have two outstanding players at this level in Mc Ardle and Mc Govern but CPN have a great presence and player in Mc Cartan, he may well pick up Mc Ardle. Hopefully the weather will be kind and we witness an entertaining tight game.

our_fella

Is it just me, or is warrenpoints "rebranded" name of CPN gay as f**k?

Brick Tamlin

elk

Ridiculous taking these two teams to Kilcoo for a county final instead of the Marshes.Give them their big day out on the county's first choice pitch. Better for the spectators too!

Faceinthecrowd

Well done to Warrenpoint and Clonduff winning their respective U20 competitions earlier today. Fairly comprehensive wins by both teams judging by the scores. So that's it for Down championship football for this year. Interesting to note the only championship success for Burren this year was at U14 level even though they contested a number of county finals. I wonder which clubs will stand out in 2014?

Leo

Quote from: our_fella on November 22, 2013, 01:08:52 AM
Is it just me, or is warrenpoints "rebranded" name of CPN gay as f**k?

In an era where the GAA strives to cement the "community" aspect of club activity the rebranding of a club always known as Warrenpoint or "The Point" with its close identification with its geographical area to some abridged version of a combined Irish Language / Catholic Parish strikes me as being the very opposite of that inclusive type of idreal and ther is a touch of marketing silliness about it. Many Point people I've encountered believe it stands for "Can't Pronounce the Name"! And every single jubilant Point person I have met tonight is rightly celebrating the clearly identifiable victory of Warrenpoint U20 over geat rivals Burren (or CMN as some might possibly dub them). Well done the Point.
Fierce tame altogether

upandwin

Leo, a chara,

Your comment above just epitomizes the ignorance of some in this part of the country unfortunately. The GAA is not just an organisation that facilitates an odd game of Football or Hurling. More than that, it is intrinsically linked to the preservation of our (Irish) culture and heritage also. I think if you genuinely spoke to anyone with half a brain in Warrenpoint then you would know that club members for the most part, embrace the new name of Cumann Pheadair Naofa, or CPN. If it is not to your liking then I suggest you merely don't associate or speak about our club, given its apparent inconvenience in your life. Astonishingly I do agree with one point of yours, well done to CPN u-20s on a fabulous championship victory. Great to see it, God knows we have been waiting long enough for real success in the club. Comhairdeas a chairde agus maith sibh!

As always, great corresponding with you Leopold. Top man.  :)