Down U20 football championship 2013

Started by Faceinthecrowd, October 27, 2013, 09:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elk

Does anyone know if this is an U20 or U21 championship this year?

umpire

17 teams in U21 league,
3 league of 4 teams and I league of 5 teams.
winner of each league goes into semi final
Don't know teams involved.

Square Ball

Quote from: umpire on October 09, 2014, 10:12:27 PM
17 teams in U21 league,
3 league of 4 teams and I league of 5 teams.
winner of each league goes into semi final
Don't know teams involved.
Group 1 Burren, Bryansford, carryduff, Glenn and castlewellan
Group 2 Bredagh, saval, point, Tullylish Gaeil na Cósta   an l'island
Group 3 rostrevor, shamrocks, clonduff, Mayobridge D cross and DPK
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Down Follower

This represents the same teams as last years competition as it was an Under 20 tournament.
Based on that Warrenpoint would be sizeable favourites as they won it quite comfortable last year, and if anything, appear to have improved. The only question mark would be will their involvement in the Ulster club impact on it!
Other teams who should do well -
Burren - reached the final last year
Glenn - young players showed well in Division 1
Basically all of group C - that will be one tough group to come out of!!

Centre 3/4

Group  1 looks the strongest in my opinion with two of last years semi finalists along with glenn and bryansford who will also be strong. Fancy burren and carryduff to progress itll be tight to see who comes out on top

elk

Burren would be my favourites, unlike Warrenpoint they have no Ulster championship to distract them, won the minor championship so there should be some lads from that squad to step up and strengthen last years squad plus they were beaten finalists last year so that should spur them on to go one better this year.

Down Follower

No huge upsets in the games yesterday although Mayobridge beating Clonduff and Bredagh beating Glenn were somewhat of a surprise. St Colmans (Saval and Ballyholland) look to be strong and may give favourites CPN a game. Burren and CPN definitely the early favourites.

Centre 3/4

It was carryduff who beat glenn and should have won by more. Glenn played v defensive and on the small pitch made it difficult but never really threatened a carryduff side who could cause teams problems this year

Down Follower

Quote from: Centre 3/4 on October 20, 2014, 12:39:56 PM
It was carryduff who beat glenn and should have won by more. Glenn played v defensive and on the small pitch made it difficult but never really threatened a carryduff side who could cause teams problems this year

Indeed it was Carryduff, my apologies. Good win in Glenn in any case.

elk

Any truth in the rumour that Kilcoo are now back in the U21 championship in Group 1. If so they will provide some serious opposition for Burren in that group.

elk

Good win for the Bridge over Rostrevor yesterday, was C.Mooney playing for Rostrevor? Surprised Warrenpoint beat the Saval/Ballyholland combination as easily as the score line suggests.

Down Follower

Quote from: elk on October 27, 2014, 01:33:52 PM
Good win for the Bridge over Rostrevor yesterday, was C.Mooney playing for Rostrevor? Surprised Warrenpoint beat the Saval/Ballyholland combination as easily as the score line suggests.

Feisty affair in Mayobridge I gather.

Brick Tamlin

Was there a row or something, can anyone give us a report of some sort.?
Why be surprised at the ease of the win. Sure they have practically the same team as last year that went to an Ulster final, and also a slap of them playing seniors this 2 seasons now, and also preparing for Ulster senior intermediate.

elk

I thought with some of the Saval/Ballyholland lads playing 1st division football this year they would have been fairly competitive and they didn't play in it last year so assumed they were decent after their big scoreline the previous week. Lesson learned today - don't assume anything!!!