New Down talent.

Started by 5 Sams, October 06, 2014, 10:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NP 76

Super sub I heard different about that but not going to get into a slagging match over a lad who everyone on here would love to see push in to the starting team and do well. But at the end of the day he is yet another small forward something we have plenty off. It's big strong defenders we need yet not slot of names are coming forward for them

DownFanatic

Quote from: NP 76 on December 03, 2014, 06:18:55 PM
Super sub I heard different about that but not going to get into a slagging match over a lad who everyone on here would love to see push in to the starting team and do well. But at the end of the day he is yet another small forward something we have plenty off. It's big strong defenders we need yet not slot of names are coming forward for them

Just as a matter of explanation.
Why do you think we need more big and strong defenders?

NP 76

I would like to see a big strong player at 3 and 6 to shore up the centre of the defence. Who have we to deal with a big set of forwards? I feel we will always struggle against a team who have big forwards like we have done in the past against mayo, cork and this year against Kildare. We only have only one hitter in Conor Garvey in our back six he can't do it all. Maybe I am wrong in this view but there is always the chance that we will ship a heavy score line against the bigger teams

supersub

Why big and strong?

What about athletic and skilful would that not be better?

You do not have to be huge to play in those positions take Karl Lacey as an example, a small but tough mobile (attacking) defender!

NP 76

Lacey is hardly small. Do we have any Lacey type players on the panel at the minute

supersub

He certainly isn't the 6'4 wall that you are talking about anyway.

We do not - that is what I am getting at, I would rather see a player like that. Likewise, do we have any in the mould of what you are talking about? You haven't answered my initial question on why big and strong?

PAULD123

Brick,

You have posted before that James generally had the best players available to him, and I agreed with you. I still agree with you. Sean Parr aside, pretty much James's best fifteen footballers took the field. I still pretty much agree with that.

What I was venting about was the lack of cohesion between the young players performing at minor and U21 level and getting them to playing for Down. This is a complaint about development structures. And in fact I know you have posted in the past that we need better development structures.

It is wastefully late until a player is already performing at a high level to bring him in. The task of the county manager should have be winning with his first fifteen, and secondly and equally importantly, with developing the next generation and integrating them. I see no clear strategy at the county level for that.

gaamann

Niall Mc Parland was captain of the Hogan team not Ross.

Ed Hardy

I see 'Down' are to play the Championship All Star team next Sunday in Newry. Any word on who's on the training panel at present?

Shamrocks Gaelp

What time is this charity game on at today ? Also didn't get the irish news yesterday, but I heard that there was an interview with Jim mccorry about the McKenna cup squad, did it give the actual panel?

DownFanatic