Rebecca McKeown's grandparents acquitted

Started by Agent Orange, May 28, 2012, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent Orange

A very strange case, they were unlikely suspects in my opinion, but they have been found not guilty after the prosecution offered no evidence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18236545

Minder

Another tour de force by the PPS by the sounds of it
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Maguire01

Was shocked when I heard about the case, but as each day passed - based on what was being recounted in news bulletins - it looked increasingly unlikely that they could have been convicted. Difficult to imagine what it was like for them to be put through this ordeal.

AQMP

Based on the evidence on the telly, net and papers it looks like the "right" decision.  I'm not at all sure there was a crime committed here.

Leo

It seemed to me from day one that the decision to prosecute this case was at least ill-advised. Shocking ordeal for two senior citizens in an apparent dysfunctional situation.
Fierce tame altogether

Orior

So who messed up in pointing the finger?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Agent Orange

Quote from: Orior on May 28, 2012, 09:06:32 PM
So who messed up in pointing the finger?

You would have to say the doctor. How exactly do your fingers unintentionally slip into someone?

Tony Baloney

The Doctor should be severely sanctioned at the very least. She knew about her "slip" yet allowed two elderly grandparents go through hell. I would sack her.

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 28, 2012, 10:15:16 PM
The Doctor should be severely sanctioned at the very least. She knew about her "slip" yet allowed two elderly grandparents go through hell. I would sack her.

Surely that's an open and shut case for wasting police time, not to mention the grief she put those people through.

southdown

Im sure there was no malice intended on the doctor's part.  A sad case all round.

johnneycool

Quote from: southdown on May 29, 2012, 10:09:11 AM
Im sure there was no malice intended on the doctor's part.  A sad case all round.

Not intentionally granted, but she obviously knew the internal injuries to the child could have been caused by her and she kept silent and allowed the grandparents of the child to go through that ordeal!!

nrico2006

Quote from: johnneycool on May 29, 2012, 08:40:21 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 28, 2012, 10:15:16 PM

Surely that's an open and shut case for wasting police time, not to mention the grief she put those people through.

What about the PPS?  Surely they should be held accountable for wasting taxpayers money.  How can they not offer any evidence, how was this allowed to go to trial if there was no evidence?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AQMP

AFAIK the evidence that the doctor may have inadvertently caused the injury was only pursued after the mother's evidence when it first came to light that she had heard Rebecca cry out in pain while the doctor was examining her.  The defence then went after the doctor who seemed to crumble in the witness box.