Maigh Eo v Ros Comáin 25-5-19

Started by Farrandeelin, May 12, 2019, 09:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 27, 2019, 03:54:36 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on May 27, 2019, 02:28:51 PM
What's the age profile of the Mayo team these days?

A lot younger than the starting team the last two years i can imagine but i don't think the likes of McCormack,Boland,McDonagh,Diskin,Plunkett,Tracey will reach the heights or consistency of Boyle,Higgins,S O'Shea,A Moran etc at their peaks.

A good run through the qualifiers and give the young guys a good run out. Time for them to $hit or get off the pot

larryin89

A lot younger than the starting team the last two years i can imagine but i don't think the likes of McCormack,Boland,McDonagh,Diskin,Plunkett,Tracey will reach the heights or consistency of Boyle,Higgins,S O'Shea,A Moran etc at their peaks.

Andy didn't peak till 2012 got injured and probably had his best years 30 plus then . Poty 2016 was it ?

Boyler was that poor he was dropped from the panel in 2009/10 was it  . Horan came in and revived his career . Best days late 20s

Higgins was brilliant from young age granted.

Sos again mid to late 20s peaked.

Point is , there is plenty of time for the newbies  and it's the one positive you can take from hopefully getting at least two qualifiers we can let the young lads play , if horan doesn't approach it like that I give up on him.

Respe, Cillian , Carr would be my ff line for the next game . With diskin getting on at some point.  Fionn mcdinagh would be added to hf line . McLaughlin , Doherty and Darren coen to be dropped . Corn might seem like an odd choice but no need to play him the next day , hell be fine enough for the next one .

Eoin o donghue and James McCormack should also start the next one . Good game for seamie to come back for and fine tune match fitness at the brothers expense.

Start slingerman in goals .

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

kerryforsam19

Quote from: larryin89 on May 27, 2019, 06:03:07 PM

Andy didn't peak till 2012 got injured and probably had his best years 30 plus then . Poty 2016 was it ?

Boyler was that poor he was dropped from the panel in 2009/10 was it  . Horan came in and revived his career . Best days late 20s

Point is , there is plenty of time for the newbies  and it's the one positive you can take from hopefully getting at least two qualifiers we can let the young lads play , if horan doesn't approach it like that I give up on him.

Respe, Cillian , Carr would be my ff line for the next game . With diskin getting on at some point.  Fionn mcdinagh would be added to hf line . McLaughlin , Doherty and Darren coen to be dropped . Corn might seem like an odd choice but no need to play him the next day , hell be fine enough for the next one .

Eoin o donghue and James McCormack should also start the next one . Good game for seamie to come back for and fine tune match fitness at the brothers expense.

Where has Ryan O'Donoghue gone to? Eoin O'Donoghue should be in corner back. Push Higgins up the field.

From the Bunker

Jez Larry, Hope springs eternal. We are back to where Mayo football was circa 2004-2006. We have a few decent players, we have a few coming through and we have a heap getting near or past their use by date. Some of these getting near their use by date are not that old, but they have been through a lot of grueling campaigns since 2011. Since 2015 this has been further compounded by going through the back door.

giveballaghback

Quote from: rosnarun on May 27, 2019, 12:34:05 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 27, 2019, 12:12:31 PM
If someone had shown you the kickout & shooting stats after the game you'd have assumed Mayo would have won by at least 5 or 6 points. I can't recall any other championship match in recent years where the team who dominated both stats ended up getting beat, it shouldn't happen.

Its some achievement by Roscommon to win that game considering how dreadful they were on their own kickouts, won that game despite living on scraps. They kicked 7 points from play, 4 of them were fantastic individual efforts including the 3 from Cox. Roscommon's first goal would remind you of the goal Dublin scored against Mayo in the league, Higgins letting the main inside him but the other Mayo defender in the picture been dragged out of position far too easily, think it was Barrett. Brilliant finish by Cregg in fairness. How has Cox not seen more game time for Kerry in recent years, a huge mistake on their part; I know who'd i'd least like to mark out of JOD, BJ Keane & Cox.

We were told Horan has learned from his time out of the game, wasn't much evidence of that on Saturday night.

before people  lose the run of them selves about mayo's defensive frailties Roscommon got 7 points from play (at least 3 would fall into miracle category) to mayo's 14 .
the 2 major factor in mayos loss were the  goals and our weakness from free . had Cillian been playing they would have won well or even if if hennelly  had a have decent game from free they would have won ,#
but they didn't and that's how games are won and lost .
Mayo can take a huge amount from Saturday  Darren coen was excellent Plunket really drove thing towards the end and Ruane conformed he is a inter county player ,
on the down side andy looked a bit slow and we still need a full back,
slagging  off Horan at this point is plain stupid
The only miracle point on Saturday evening was that point of Coens that was in fact about a foot wide.

larryin89

Quote from: kerryforsam19 on May 27, 2019, 07:41:08 PM

Where has Ryan O'Donoghue gone to? Eoin O'Donoghue should be in corner back. Push Higgins up the field.

No sense going into detail only to say he didn't keep discipline
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

kerryforsam19

Quote from: larryin89 on May 27, 2019, 10:35:12 PM

No sense going into detail only to say he didn't keep discipline

That a pity. A good soccer player too.

NetNitrate

Weren't you the expert saying Mayo by 20 points in first gear. I hope they will not be listening to your advice. I would worry more about Kerry as the league may also have made them think they are better than they are.

kerryforsam19

Quote from: NetNitrate on May 28, 2019, 12:59:50 AM

Weren't you the expert saying Mayo by 20 points in first gear. I hope they will not be listening to your advice. I would worry more about Kerry as the league may also have made them think they are better than they are.

Sure we didn't turn up for league final and nearly got the win only for great Hennelly save.  It nice to be going in as underdogs against Clare on Saturday night. Munster wont be walk over this year.

rosnarun

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 27, 2019, 08:06:55 PM

Jez Larry, Hope springs eternal. We are back to where Mayo football was circa 2004-2006. We have a few decent players, we have a few coming through and we have a heap getting near or past their use by date. Some of these getting near their use by date are not that old, but they have been through a lot of grueling campaigns since 2011. Since 2015 this has been further compounded by going through the back door.

jeez they lose a match by 1 point and you want to drop 8 players including or top scorer and the best midfielder in the country . I know it was only the rossies  but can you imagine the well deserved Flack horan would get if he did any thing so crazy .
you seem to be basing it on the assumption we will have many more games  this year but un less they take it a lot more seriouslythan you do ,  half them will be on a plane to the  US in a matter of weeks
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lar Naparka

Quote from: rosnarun on May 28, 2019, 11:26:25 AM

jeez they lose a match by 1 point and you want to drop 8 players including or top scorer and the best midfielder in the country . I know it was only the rossies  but can you imagine the well deserved Flack horan would get if he did any thing so crazy .
you seem to be basing it on the assumption we will have many more games  this year but un less they take it a lot more seriouslythan you do ,  half them will be on a plane to the  US in a matter of weeks
Problem is that it was only Roscommon.
Roscommon didn't read the script; they didn't come only to make up numbers but with every intention of winning. I guess Cunningham knew all wasn't well in Mayo and they were there for the aking.
Mayo didn't have a plan B- looks like they hadn't a plan A either- old doubts and weaknesses showed up and  that's my worry. Roscommon got two lucky goals and Mayo panicked. That's the simple version and I don't mean to insult Roscommon either.
But can you imagine Dublin leaving themselves so wide at the back? Harrison got roasted because he was left on his own with nobody prepared to come in and back him up. He got turned time after time.
It seemed to me that it was every man for himself after the two quick goals, against the run of play, and Mayo well and truly lost the plot. That's not what you'd expect from a top team and Mayo, with a few exceptions,  are the most experienced side in the land.  If you can't put away the opposition when you get in top, you haven't a hope of winning an All Ireland.
I was a bit uneasy coming into this game. I was certain Roscommon would give it everything they got but you can never say the same about Mayo.
I felt they hammered Kerry in both of their last games - everywhere else except on the scoreboard. Kerry come have snuck that final but for one heroic save by Hennelly. I know a win is a win and that's what mattered most but Mayo can make hard work out of scraping wins when they could have won by double figures if they held their bottle.
Whatever the problem may be, wholesale changes for the next day won't solve anything. Mayo's problems go deeper than that.
Dunno who they will play the next day and I can't feel confident about the result whether its against a division one or a division three or four team. Whoever it is anyway, the game will be Mayo's to win or lose.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

rosnarun

mayo always need more chances than the opposition to win games . even the junior team on Saturday has he same flaw? its just part of Mayo DNA.
that's why a top class free taker is so important  to mayo which we have blessed with for years from Mortk Maurice cillian ETC , but when they re not there we struggle. but still 17s point last week was not a bad return . it was the goals and mayos lack of goals that killed them
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

weareros

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 28, 2019, 12:24:08 PM

Roscommon didn't read the script; they didn't come only to make up numbers but with every intention of winning. I guess Cunningham knew all wasn't well in Mayo and they were there for the aking.
Mayo didn't have a plan B- looks like they hadn't a plan A either- old doubts and weaknesses showed up and  that's my worry. Roscommon got two lucky goals and Mayo panicked.

Two lucky goals. Two rotten goals was it Joe Brolly called them. For Cregg's, I can't help thinking if a Kerry or Dublin lad scored that they would be oooh and aaghing about the killer pass, the catch, the blistering pace that left the back for dead, the cleverness of the two inside forwards pulling their men out of position, the unstoppable shot.

Even Harney's goal, while a terrible mistake from the kickout, many forwards in Glennon's position on his championship debut after receiving the pass from Harney and one on one with the goalie would have shot and possibly missed from a tight angle, or took the easy option and punched over the bar, but he still had the presence to pause and give the return to Harney, who himself had the presence to followup for the return pass. There was still a bit of clinical play required to execute that goal.

Media analysis has been very lazy with the narrative of lucky goals, in particular Cregg's which I thought a brilliant goal, and personally delighted for him.

dublin7

Quote from: weareros on May 28, 2019, 01:37:54 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 28, 2019, 12:24:08 PM

Mayo didn't have a plan B- looks like they hadn't a plan A either- old doubts and weaknesses showed up and  that's my worry. Roscommon got two lucky goals and Mayo panicked.

Two lucky goals. Two rotten goals was it Joe Brolly called them. For Cregg's, I can't help thinking if a Kerry or Dublin lad scored that they would be oooh and aaghing about the killer pass, the catch, the blistering pace that left the back for dead, the cleverness of the two inside forwards pulling their men out of position, the unstoppable shot.

Even Harney's goal, while a terrible mistake from the kickout, many forwards in Glennon's position on his championship debut after receiving the pass from Harney and one on one with the goalie would have shot and possibly missed from a tight angle, or took the easy option and punched over the bar, but he still had the presence to pause and give the return to Harney, who himself had the presence to followup for the return pass. There was still a bit of clinical play required to execute that goal.

Media analysis has been very lazy with the narrative of lucky goals, in particular Cregg's which I thought a brilliant goal, and personally delighted for him.

1st goal was a great finish, but the Mayo defending was awful. Higgins got caught ball watching and then Barrett for some stupid reason follows his man away from goal leaving Cregg 1 on 1 with the keeper. If he stays in front of goal, Cregg has to beat him for the goal chance or lay it off. Instead he made it easy for him.

2nd goal was well finished, but it was created thanks to a complete howler by Hennelly.

Either way it's perfectly reasonable to criticise Mayo for conceding both of the goals

Cunny Funt

Was nothing lucky about the 1st goal it was piece of individual brilliance from Cathal Cregg. 2nd goal was an error by hennelly but let's not forget O' Malley gave away a few scores also with his wayward kick outs.

The two goals conceded weren't fatal for Mayo, matter of fact they led 0-17 to 2-10 with 60 minutes on the clock. Main question that needs to be asked is why were they held scoreless for the final 15 minutes (five minutes of injury time included) and why did so little impact come from the bench?

The winning score was a prime example of a team wanting it more on the night. A superb block down by Niall Daly, great energy and pace to move the ball up the field and Fintan Cregg  made the ultimate impact off the bench to kick a long distance winner.