Maigh Eo v Ros Comáin 25-5-19

Started by Farrandeelin, May 12, 2019, 09:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 26, 2019, 02:15:42 AM
One thing I'll say about Anthony Cunningham is his teams always have a hard edge to them and are usually very tough to beat. He was pretty unlucky not to win a hurling All Ireland with Galway. Twice they had Kilkenny on the ropes in the final but maybe they were just not quite mature enough to finish the job during his time with them. He knows how to prepare a team.

And unlucky not to win a club all-Ireland with Garrycastle. The first day.

moysider

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 26, 2019, 02:15:42 AM
One thing I'll say about Anthony Cunningham is his teams always have a hard edge to them and are usually very tough to beat. He was pretty unlucky not to win a hurling All Ireland with Galway. Twice they had Kilkenny on the ropes in the final but maybe they were just not quite mature enough to finish the job during his time with them. He knows how to prepare a team.

Correct. Today was no surprise really. I love Horan's vision of the way he wants his team to play but it leaves his team vulnerable as well. A team that is well prepared and defend well in numbers will do him.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Itchy on May 25, 2019, 11:24:08 PM
Great game which was won by Roscommons greater efficiency in front of the posts. How many wides had they? Feck all I am guessing. Mayo were poor, very poor. I didnt see that coming to be honest. I hope they beat Galway now and their horrid style of football.

Jaysus I presume you've watched some Cavan football during your life? Stones and glass houses and all that.

moysider

Quote from: joemamas on May 25, 2019, 11:36:33 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 25, 2019, 11:32:31 PM
Quote from: joemamas on May 25, 2019, 11:27:12 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 25, 2019, 11:25:14 PM
Quote from: joemamas on May 25, 2019, 11:21:35 PM
What Horan obviously missed was Donie Buckley and John Mcentee.
Not all his fault but some very very questionable decisions were made on the line.

That said we have saved a lot of money on Donie Buckley and John McEntee not being part of the Backroom team.

That is great to hear.  ::) ::)
Yeah, like "Every cloud has a silver lining." Well, if this particular game had some positives,  I can't fkn see
them. :D

Is is possible that if Buckley or McEntee were there, one of them may have mentioned that we are going into last 7+ minutes with no free taker.

I'm sorry but Horan was watching the same gig as everybody else. Regan had nailed 2 fine frees and a good point from play and was playing well besides. Only Coen was going better of the forwards. Yet he was hauled off to get Andy on. It was a crazy decision. Coen ran out of gas a while later and that was the time to bring in Andy. The introduction of Diskin and Loftus beggared belief.

Rossfan

Our subs were a damn sight better the Mayowestros'
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

manfromdelmonte

If Gough hadn't brought two blind umpires Roscommon would have won by 3

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on May 26, 2019, 01:15:08 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 25, 2019, 10:25:57 PM
Fair play to Ros. Scoreboard doesn't lie. Someone on the way out told me Mayo had 18 wides. 18 fuckin wides. I honestly don't know what to say. I mean it's not as if Cunningham was going to give the Mayo forwards freedom of the park like McStay did in CP. Only Fergal Boland can hold his head high from a Mayo point of view, scored some massive points in the second half. Hard to muster much optimism after that tonight. As for Ros, a fine tall strong physical team that managed to take their chances when the opportunities arose. I knew McLoughlin would miss, always does even in non pressure environments. Not absorbing him of blame though as he should've known it from every previous free he ever took from similar positions. Onto the backdoor. You'd hope Horan and co can learn from this game and try to organise forward shooting drills before the next one.
r

Really Farr? do you honestly think it's down to that?

Course not. But it was a 'kind of' consolation I had when I was soaked wet when I came in last night before going to bed. And that won't be fixed over a short timeframe either. Joemamas mentioned Andy slowing it down, I totally agree. Regan more than likely would've slotted that free over at the end.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

giveballaghback

Quote from: larryin89 on May 25, 2019, 02:54:41 PM
I honestly am finding it really hard to call this , there's a part of me saying we will no matter what but I do believe there is an unknown factor to this game .

All that said I'll back mayo for an eight point win  . ;D

You need to change that ould hash tag at the bottem larryin, we brought a grand load of sheep out of Castlebar yesterday. Some days are diamonds.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on May 26, 2019, 03:37:40 AM
Our subs were a damn sight better the Mayowestros'
Fair play Ross, I can't have any complaints..better team won.
I really can see ye winning Connacht- I know Galway won't be as clueless as Mayo but ye have a young and talented side and the win last night will bring them on to no end.
It seems LIam Mac isn't just a pretty face after all. He was right about Ross being a very young but talented side and he was right about Ultan Harney too.
As for Mayo, dunno what will happen next. With their vast experience they should have been able to close that game out a long time before the end. Same old failing since before Horan's first time as manager-  you might say a tendency to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
Anyway, I'm gonna take the bow wow for a good long walk and forget about football - for now anyway.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

I suppose it was a case of the team with the best forwards winning.
Galway will hardly kick as many sides as ye're bucks did.

weareros

Still trying to come back down to earth. The seeds of this victory were sown when Seani Mac called bullshit on the county boards preferred management choice. We are blessed to have Cunningham and he had the players in the right physical shape and got the matchups right. As expected lost midfield but Tadgh in particular disrupted a lot of Mayo's rhythm so the impact not as much. With the experience on our bench, felt if we were still in game with 15 mins to go, we would win. To that end was delighted to see our last two minors of 2006 on the pitch with Fintan getting the winning point  and Devaney dispossessed Keegan twice at crucial times. Thought Gough was decent but awarded Mayo a point that was wide and gave a very soft free to make it a draw as Ruane was backing into Stack and then fell into him. Mayo are still a top 4 team but they will need to rein in their media heads like David Brady, also need to let young players time to develop instead of blowing them up too early, and it's questionable that their backs can win on one to one situations when up against good forwards. But wish ye luck in qualifiers and would not be surprised to meet again. Look forward to being in Salthill in a few weeks, a ground I actually like despite the usually adverse weather.

From the Bunker

Mayo have gone out to 16/1 to win the All Ireland. That is probably the longest odds Mayo have had since 2012.

Rossfan

Yes Weareros Devaney made several excellent vital dispossessions.
And Yes again that it's great to have a good manager.

moysider

Quote from: Rossfan on May 26, 2019, 01:13:43 PM

Disagree. Roscommon's system won the day. Galway will play blanket and Ros. forwards will have an entirely different proposition the next day. Only James Horan could think it is still a good idea ( 7 years after Michael Murphy) to play 2 at the back and a 3 man full forward line. His generosity is legendary. 

weareros

Quote from: moysider on May 26, 2019, 03:30:10 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 26, 2019, 01:13:43 PM

Disagree. Roscommon's system won the day. Galway will play blanket and Ros. forwards will have an entirely different proposition the next day. Only James Horan could think it is still a good idea ( 7 years after Michael Murphy) to play 2 at the back and a 3 man full forward line. His generosity is legendary.

Based on some comments on Mayogaablog, poor Horan went from the messiah on Friday to the pariah on Sunday.