Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Hereiam on February 05, 2019, 12:42:02 PM
I know the Irish government don't want to stir tensions up here but this ole soft chat with the DUP is sickening. I would rather they talk to them for the pond life party that they are. I've said it before I don't trust Leo and I don't think he has any intention of reaching out to nationalists up here

Ah, I wouldn't get too worried about that just yet.

I reckon they are thinking the long game. If the DUP get their hard Brexit, I'd believe there is a strong likelihood there will be a border poll within 12 months as this place goes to absolute crap economically.

Dublin is better keeping their powder dry for that - at that time they will not be appealing to the DUP - but directly to those of a unionist background that might be swayed by the economics of a United Ireland so they can put food on their table. So not being antagonistic now will play to their advantage then.
i usse an speelchekor

Rossfan

Nothing the DUPUDA would like better but a good oul fight with the Dublin bogeyman so they could rally all Protestants and shades of unionism to wrap the Union Jack around them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LeoMc

I know the Irish government don't want to stir tensions up here but this ole soft chat with the DUP is sickening. I would rather they talk to them for the pond life party that they are. I've said it before I don't trust Leo and I don't think he has any intention of reaching out to nationalists up here

The DUP see the backstop as a back-door to a UI. Varadkar has to be careful not to be making overtures which would back up their fears. If he pushes a UI agenda a this time they will dig their heels in further guaranteeing a hard brexit and a painful grind towards the breakup of the UK.
If we can get the backstop in place and maintain North South Alignment whilst GB morphs into a  low regulation low rtights low wage economy in an effort to woo Trump then a border poll and a the road to a UI becomes a less bumpy road.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 05, 2019, 12:53:21 PM

Ah, I wouldn't get too worried about that just yet.

I reckon they are thinking the long game. If the DUP get their hard Brexit, I'd believe there is a strong likelihood there will be a border poll within 12 months as this place goes to absolute crap economically.

Dublin is better keeping their powder dry for that - at that time they will not be appealing to the DUP - but directly to those of a unionist background that might be swayed by the economics of a United Ireland so they can put food on their table. So not being antagonistic now will play to their advantage then.

12 months? Seriously?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

yellowcard

Theresa May simply spouting more of the same old rhetoric, like what is the point in her visit. Changes nothing just all about optics. 

BennyCake

Quote from: yellowcard on February 05, 2019, 12:50:57 PM

He has listened to Unionists describe him as a nut case, an Indian, a warmongeror etc etc all whilst simultaneously (deliberately) getting his name wrong. Maybe it has given them a little more insight as to exactly what we have to deal with in the north with hardline unionists and their bigotry.

I think that the Irish government have been firm and consistent on the need for a backstop from the outset but I don't believe that it is out of any great concern for nationalists but rather simply that they are simply trying to protect their own economy.   

Yes, but to admit that would be admitting that Sinn Fein have had a difficult time dealing with unionist bigotry. At the end of the day, Varadkar and his party would attack SF a lot quicker than they would the DUP.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 05, 2019, 02:34:00 PM12 months? Seriously?

I'd reckon >99.9% of people aren't realising the fallout that will occur if there is a no deal Brexit.

There cannot immediately be a WTO deal on new schedules - its far too complex with too many countries involved - taking shortcuts will only result in longer term pain - so that means stock tariffs of between ~5% to nearer 50% with average around 15-20% depending on the goods in question.

How do you think any customer would take it if you hiked your prices up 20% overnight while your international competitors don't have to change theirs at all? They'll pretty quickly not be your customers.

Most private enterprises in the North that are not getting the vast majority of their revenue from public contracts are at serious risk of collapse (and almost definitely going to be making mass layoffs) within that 12 month timeframe. Every private enterprise in the North that is getting their money from public sector will only delay that same collapse until the UK government is facing bankruptcy due to falling tax revenues and a larger social welfare burden.

The Brexiteers don't have a f**king clue what they are voting for. Turkeys voting for Christmas? More like Turkeys turning on the oven, stuffing themselves - firing on the tinfoil and jumping in. A hard Brexit is essentially economic Armageddon to a 1st world economy. It could be argued a non-customs union Brexit is also economic Armageddon - although it will be drawn out more.
i usse an speelchekor

yellowcard

Quote from: BennyCake on February 05, 2019, 06:47:02 PM

He has listened to Unionists describe him as a nut case, an Indian, a warmongeror etc etc all whilst simultaneously (deliberately) getting his name wrong. Maybe it has given them a little more insight as to exactly what we have to deal with in the north with hardline unionists and their bigotry.

I think that the Irish government have been firm and consistent on the need for a backstop from the outset but I don't believe that it is out of any great concern for nationalists but rather simply that they are simply trying to protect their own economy.   

Yes, but to admit that would be admitting that Sinn Fein have had a difficult time dealing with unionist bigotry. At the end of the day, Varadkar and his party would attack SF a lot quicker than they would the DUP.

I doubt if you'll here them criticize the DUP publicly since they are co-guarantors of the GFA but privately they must despair at some of the anti-Irish sentiment expressed publicly by northern Unionism in recent months. It's hard to know how much of it is simply grandstanding but it's highly irresponsible given the backdrop. 

BennyCake

Quote from: yellowcard on February 05, 2019, 08:05:50 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 05, 2019, 06:47:02 PM

I doubt if you'll here them criticize the DUP publicly since they are co-guarantors of the GFA but privately they must despair at some of the anti-Irish sentiment expressed publicly by northern Unionism in recent months. It's hard to know how much of it is simply grandstanding but it's highly irresponsible given the backdrop.

Unionists have publicly displayed anti-Irish sentiments since partition (and before), and the Irish government sat back and never done a big pile about it.

Hardy

You do talk some shite pal.

trailer

Irish government refusing to negotiate with the DUP. No matter your politics you have to say Leo and FG are bossing these negotiations and continue to endear themselves to Northern Nationalists.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on February 06, 2019, 11:51:19 AM
Irish government refusing to negotiate with the DUP. No matter your politics you have to say Leo and FG are bossing these negotiations and continue to endear themselves to Northern Nationalists.

What have they got to negotiate with them about?

Rossfan

What would they negotiate with the DUP about?
Leaving aside that it's an EU/UK matter a Party representing 40% of the 6 Cos. population and advocating something the majority are opposed to.......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on February 06, 2019, 11:52:26 AM

The price of turf. f**k me is this a serious comment?

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on February 06, 2019, 11:55:17 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 06, 2019, 11:52:26 AM

The price of turf. f**k me is this a serious comment?

Yes.