Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: Franko on July 06, 2016, 12:27:32 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 05, 2016, 09:35:12 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 05, 2016, 09:31:57 PM
Haranguerer and macdanger, do you live in the 6 co's?

No

I thought as much, given the flippant nature of your 'you must accept the vote' statements.

Eh, is that not how democracy works??

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 06, 2016, 02:10:03 PM
but all the stuff coming out now wasn't or was very difficult to get information on before it happened....

All the stuff coming out now was entirely predicted before it happened.
It is a bit like someone saying that they jumped out a window and had been warned of the fall, but nobody told then of the sudden stop at the end.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Only for the whole thing is so serious it would go down as the greatest but of comedy ever.
Better than Minty Python's sketches.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Rossfan on July 06, 2016, 03:40:55 PM
Only for the whole thing is so serious it would go down as the greatest but of comedy ever.
Better than Minty Python's sketches.

I prefer Last of the Summer Wine Gums.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

It was good that this clusterfuck happened under  a Tory government.
Bevan called them lower than vermin.

seafoid

mrdeeds

Zlatan's wages are 10 per cent less thanks to Brexit.

No wides

Quote from: armaghniac on July 06, 2016, 02:39:49 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 06, 2016, 02:10:03 PM
but all the stuff coming out now wasn't or was very difficult to get information on before it happened....

All the stuff coming out now was entirely predicted before it happened.
It is a bit like someone saying that they jumped out a window and had been warned of the fall, but nobody told then of the sudden stop at the end.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Franko

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 06, 2016, 02:36:53 PM

No

I thought as much, given the flippant nature of your 'you must accept the vote' statements.

I'll give you an example here.  Today, we have the Chilcot report, which pretty much damns Tony Blair for taking Britain to war in Iraq based on lies and falsehoods.  The decision to invade was made, entirely democratically, by a vote the House of Commons.  Do you also defend that decision?

It's exactly the same here - people were fed blatant lies and asked to vote based on those.  That is not democracy.

macdanger2

Quote from: Franko on July 06, 2016, 05:36:23 PM

No

I'll give you an example here.  Today, we have the Chilcot report, which pretty much damns Tony Blair for taking Britain to war in Iraq based on lies and falsehoods.  The decision to invade was made, entirely democratically, by a vote the House of Commons.  Do you also defend that decision?

It's exactly the same here - people were fed blatant lies and asked to vote based on those.  That is not democracy.

Not sure what the chilcot report has to do with it. Or how it's exactly the same.
Are you saying that the vote should be annulled on the basis of lies told during the campaign!? You can probably do the same for every election result for the past 50 years would likely fall into the same bracket. Absolutely there were blatant lies which were obvious to anyone with a bit of sense but that's the way politics is now.

For the record, I wouldn't have voted for Brexit nor do I think it will be positive for the 32 counties. The fact is though that there was a vote and a result and I don't see any legitimate reason not to follow through on it.

Franko

Quote from: haranguerer on July 06, 2016, 02:04:12 PM

No

Well, you clearly thought wrong, given that I do.

And the irony of you labelling our saying democracy should be accepted and respected as 'flippant' is delightful  ;D

You're clearly suggesting that we don't accept the vote. What do we do?

How can a vote based on total lies be described as truly democratic?  I wish I knew what could be done from here but there has to be a political way to soften the blow - possibly some sort of Brexit 'lite' that could be negotiated to placate the idiots (and I mean idiots) who voted leave but at the same time respecting the 'democratic' will.

bennydorano

To quote C Montgomery Burns 'When will people realise Democracy doesn't work'.

Democracy can appear to be a sham alot of the time. We're part of the UK but not entitled to the same privileges in certain things, Gay Marriage the prime example I suppose. What passes for Democracy in NI is laughable anyway.

Pathetic and all as it is an intercine Tory squabble has brought us to where we are today & there's no going back. I always liked Cameron but this was an unnecessary gamble.

Nigel White

In fairness we get things like free prescriptions, no water charges etc. over here and I don't hear too many complain about that

Franko

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 06, 2016, 05:51:20 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 06, 2016, 05:36:23 PM

No

Not sure what the chilcot report has to do with it. Or how it's exactly the same.
Are you saying that the vote should be annulled on the basis of lies told during the campaign!? You can probably do the same for every election result for the past 50 years would likely fall into the same bracket. Absolutely there were blatant lies which were obvious to anyone with a bit of sense but that's the way politics is now.

For the record, I wouldn't have voted for Brexit nor do I think it will be positive for the 32 counties. The fact is though that there was a vote and a result and I don't see any legitimate reason not to follow through on it.

Chilcot report is discussing the same situation - a democratic vote based on lies and deception.  Elections are different, in that the result is legally binding.  This was a referendum, essentially just a gauge of public opinion, which is not.  There is nothing stopping our politicians from taking the common sense position that public opinion was influenced by blatant lies at every turn and essentially saying that the result is void.  This would probably mean the end of said politician's career though, so in reality, this will probably never happen.

bennydorano

Quote from: Nigel White on July 06, 2016, 06:50:12 PM
In fairness we get things like free prescriptions, no water charges etc. over here and I don't hear too many complain about that
True, but being denied a genuine civil liberty is a bit different.