Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

People are flocking to join the Lib Dems, by all accounts. They're running on a "get us back in" ticket. I'd like to see it working for them but between the Scottish question, the leadership battles in each of the Tory and Labour parties, plus the implications of Brexit itself, there's plenty going on to suck the air out of the room and it's hard to see the Liberals getting a lot of air time.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 29, 2016, 03:36:59 PM
Have the dup even once acknowledged that their campaign failed and that the majority over here voted for remain?? I haven't heard it once. Surely even that economic "expert" Sammy Wilson (who could probably barely count to ten) has noticed the damage it has done??

they want a border - i really don't see what else they hoped to gain from it.
They should redraw the border. The Bann as far as the lake and as far as the Gaelic football border in Down with an enclave of reason in Belfast.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: seafoid on June 30, 2016, 08:05:26 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 29, 2016, 03:36:59 PM
Have the dup even once acknowledged that their campaign failed and that the majority over here voted for remain?? I haven't heard it once. Surely even that economic "expert" Sammy Wilson (who could probably barely count to ten) has noticed the damage it has done??

they want a border - i really don't see what else they hoped to gain from it.
They should redraw the border. The Bann as far as the lake and as far as the Gaelic football border in Down with an enclave of reason in Belfast.

Well to stop those pesky immigrants from getting in the border will technically be redrawn - the Irish Sea

No wides

Gove in the leadership race now - that's  Boris fucked.  ;D

screenexile

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 30, 2016, 06:38:50 AM
People are flocking to join the Lib Dems, by all accounts. They're running on a "get us back in" ticket. I'd like to see it working for them but between the Scottish question, the leadership battles in each of the Tory and Labour parties, plus the implications of Brexit itself, there's plenty going on to suck the air out of the room and it's hard to see the Liberals getting a lot of air time.

The Dems have nothing to offer the last time they were in Government they bent over for Cameron then ended up f**king themselves with all their campaign U-Turns. To be honest I don't even know who their leader is at the minute so it's hard to see them making any kind of meaningful resurgence!

doodaa

Quote from: armaghniac on June 29, 2016, 04:56:41 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on June 29, 2016, 04:13:38 PM
The question is what were the DUP promised or paid to back the leave side, and who were the pay masters. I don't think this had anything to do with the border as Foster is not stupid she would have known what an exit from Europe would mean. Its maybe a bit of a coincidence that the queen is over here at the minute and i would not discount the fact that the royal establishment pushed for an exit.

Foster knew what it would mean, a border and disruption of cross border trade and although such trade is very important in her own constituency she still went for it.
As for QEII , she too must have known that Leave would kick things off in Scotland and she previously was presumed not to be too keen on the Scots doing their own thing.

Are they both mad? QEII has the excuse of being 90, what's Arlene's excuse?

Meanwhile another dodgy female, Villiers, has stated that NI will not get special treatment   and "I believe we can keep a border which is as open and free-flowing as it is today,". This combination is only possible if they scrap the whole Brexit thing.

I watched the Spotlight programme with her interview on it. Cringey viewing, the woman was clearly deluded, how the hell do you keep a free flowing border when immigration was one of the main reasons people were voting for a Brexit!?

She kept harping back to the common travel area or whatever its called and failed to address the fact that it worked because both the UK and South have both either been IN or OUT of Europe. There hasn't been as time when one was in and one was out.

Farrandeelin

When does article 50 have to be invoked?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

No wides

Quote from: No wides on June 30, 2016, 09:25:55 AM

May in now too, I would predict that May will now win as Gove will take some of the wind out of Boris.

No wides

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 30, 2016, 09:45:46 AM
When does article 50 have to be invoked?

Whenever the British government decide.

front of the mountain

I can see them stalling for time, get propaganda machine in full swing, second vote similar result to Lisbon Treaty

mouview

What we need to do now is unleash former FFer Gerry Collins to tearfully plead with Boris Johnson 'even at this late stage not to burst up the EU'.

seafoid

Brexit may be unlawful article by Philip Allotted on the Guardian site. Was it Steve Jobs who decided that mobiles couldn't copy links?

armaghniac

Quote from: No wides on June 30, 2016, 09:45:58 AM
Quote from: No wides on June 30, 2016, 09:25:55 AM

May in now too, I would predict that May will now win as Gove will take some of the wind out of Boris.

Boris is full of wind, so that would be some job.

I suspect Gove is more a fundamentalist, while Boris would hae no problem signing up for EEA + contributions + free movement.

Quote from: seafoid on June 30, 2016, 10:07:26 AM
Brexit may be unlawful article by Philip Allotted on the Guardian site. Was it Steve Jobs who decided that mobiles couldn't copy links?

there you go
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/30/politics-brexit-unlawful-eu-uk

Not a very convincing argument, but given the stakes in this issue I expect someone will try a legal route, or several legal routes. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

No wides

Quote from: front of the mountain on June 30, 2016, 10:01:05 AM
I can see them stalling for time, get propaganda machine in full swing, second vote similar result to Lisbon Treaty

They don't have to stall it is entirely up to them when they want to start, or not.

armaghniac

Quote from: No wides on June 30, 2016, 10:12:30 AM
Quote from: front of the mountain on June 30, 2016, 10:01:05 AM

They don't have to stall it is entirely up to them when they want to start, or not.

Perhaps a good trick would be to stall for a year and then have a legal review stating that that too much time has elapsed and they need a new referendum.

In my opinion a review of the Good Friday Agreement in this context would a good cross-party reason to stall, that the EU couldn't criticise too much and that the US could row in behind.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B