Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennistheMenace

How do you opt in? Lazy question I know..

Fuzzman

Jinxy

Quote from: Fuzzman on November 19, 2013, 11:43:40 AM
Maybe I don't have all the facts but I was really annoyed at that chairman who was putting up the obstacles to stop the opt-in scheme. You would imagine a chairman of such an organisation would be gung-ho to get as many organ donations as possible and so reduce waiting times and so save lives. How can anything be more important than that?

I got the impression, after seeing how dismissive he was of the system Joe & Co. are proposing, that he didn't like these johnny-come-latelys arriving on the scene and having more of an impact on the public consciousness in a few months than he's had in his whole time as CEO of the Irish Kidney association.
His viewpoint certainly seemed to be at odds with all the other stakeholders.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fuzzman

Yeah I think you're tight Jinxy or there is some sort of jealousy there.
Maybe he just doesn't like change but I hope he gets bombarded by disgruntled assoc members asking why is he putting up obstacles to getting shorter waiting lists.

Brolly does have the usual Ulster brashness that many Southerners dislike. I liked the wee bit of banter in the program between Joe & Michael Lyster. Joe really should tone down his language though. It's not that hard to stop the F-ing & blinding for a TVv show.
I was amazed how toned down he was for meeting the first & deputy ministers. None of the usual
HOWL ON PETER HOWL ON!!!

BennyCake

Quote from: hardstation on November 19, 2013, 11:39:27 AM
BennyCake - have I got this right?

You wanted to be a donor so you signed up for it. You now don't want to be a donor because they're trying to make everyone be a donor unless they opt out?

WTF?

It's like the group isn't elite enough for you anymore. Weird.

I became a donor years ago. I still want to be a donor, but I am against this opt-out scheme, so I removed my name. Is that so terrible?

Suddenly everyone is experts pontificating on donor cards, when most of you for years never got off your asses to opt-in. Now suddenly, I'm the bad guy for opting out? What if any of you, had died before Brolly's donation, wouldn't your organs have been wasted? Yes, there's probably more of you now become donors since then, but where were you pre-Brolly?

Count 10

Quote from: BennyCake on November 19, 2013, 12:23:51 PM

You wanted to be a donor so you signed up for it. You now don't want to be a donor because they're trying to make everyone be a donor unless they opt out?

WTF?

I became a donor years ago. I still want to be a donor, but I am against this opt-out scheme, so I removed my name. Is that so terrible?

Suddenly everyone is experts pontificating on donor cards, when most of you for years never got off your asses to opt-in. Now suddenly, I'm the bad guy for opting out? What if any of you, had died before Brolly's donation, wouldn't your organs have been wasted? Yes, there's probably more of you now become donors since then, but where were you pre-Brolly?

It is all about choice, but I still do not understand your reasons for removing your name from the list, after all it is easy enough to opt out.
Now people have to "get off their asses" to opt out.....it is a no brainer.
I was on the list but unfortunately health reasons mean my organs would be useless to anyone.

blanketattack

I carry an organ donor card but I left it completely blank - it gives me comfort to know that when I'm dead and buried, my organ donor card can be reused by others.

Fuzzman

Benny why are you so against the opt-in scheme?
Can you not see how it will provide much more organs and so reduce waiting times and so save lives?

You don't even have to ring up and tell them you want to opt out. You can just tell your family to tell them when you die.

Tubberman

WTF?

Well I was already carrying a donor card, so I suppose I did get off my ass. It just seems that you're reasons for possibly denying people your organs (should the circumstances arise) is some sort of protest at organ-donating becoming the norm...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Jinxy

WTF?

This is definitely starting to sound like an 'I was donating my organs before it was cool' type of argument.  :)

Cold tea

WTF?

What a statement, surely the whole point is to raise public awareness.

BennyCake

Quote from: Fuzzman on November 19, 2013, 12:39:17 PM
Can you not see how it will provide much more organs and so reduce waiting times and so save lives?

You don't even have to ring up and tell them you want to opt out. You can just tell your family to tell them when you die.

I'm aware more organs become available because of this. But like someone said earlier, his father would have to have been kept on life support for longer just to get his organs. It would've been tough for the fanily to do so.

If you're automatically opted in, and you die, then does your family really know your intentions? Maybe someone wasn't aware they were on the donor list, and their organs are taken anyway. Maybe they were against organ donation in the first place? OK, people know the score at the minute, but what about a few years away, when the hype has died down, and the opt-out thing is rarely mentioned?

I just think at least if someone has gone to the bother of registering to become a donor, then that is what they really wanted. This situation where the family can say no upon their death is putting unnecessary strain on an already grieving family.

I'd prefer to see the organ donation advertised properly. Opt in, you could save a life. Don't opt in, you're not a donor. Simple.

Jinxy

You're seriously underestimating how lazy but well-intentioned people can be Benny.

muppet

Quote from: BennyCake on November 19, 2013, 02:02:25 PM

I'm aware more organs become available because of this. But like someone said earlier, his father would have to have been kept on life support for longer just to get his organs. It would've been tough for the fanily to do so.

If you're automatically opted in, and you die, then does your family really know your intentions? Maybe someone wasn't aware they were on the donor list, and their organs are taken anyway. Maybe they were against organ donation in the first place? OK, people know the score at the minute, but what about a few years away, when the hype has died down, and the opt-out thing is rarely mentioned?

I just think at least if someone has gone to the bother of registering to become a donor, then that is what they really wanted. This situation where the family can say no upon their death is putting unnecessary strain on an already grieving family.

I'd prefer to see the organ donation advertised properly. Opt in, you could save a life. Don't opt in, you're not a donor. Simple.

Were you a suspect in the Bambi assassination?
MWWSI 2017

gander

Quote from: BennyCake on November 19, 2013, 02:02:25 PM

from what I understand at the minute the family still get the final say whether your on the register or not, is this wrong?