Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Hill

Just joined the Organ Donation Register on foot of watching that programme tonight. Often thought about it but tonight got the wee push to actually do it. Brolly can be a bit of a bollix but he's to be admired for his work; he walks the walk.
"Stercus accidit"

Jinxy

Quote from: armaghniac on November 18, 2013, 10:07:09 PM
Programme on now, still time to catch on on RTÉ+1, although there isn't anything notable so far.

What were you expecting, car chases and explosions?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Orchardman

Quote from: BennyCake on November 18, 2013, 08:13:19 PM
As likeable a fella as Brolly is, and I admire him for donating a kidney, I think it's totally wrong about this "opt-out" scheme. It should be up to the person themselves whether they want to be on the donor list or not. The publicity of Joe's donation would have seen a big rise on the number of people becoming donors anyway, but there was no need to go as far with this opt-out thing. Advertise the donor register, get people like Brolly to educate people on becoming one, but don't force them to be one.

I registered to become a donor when I just left school, because it was something I wanted to do. I was on the donor list for many years, until a few months ago, when I phoned and asked for my name to be removed. The reason was because I didn't like where they were going with this opt-out thing, and told them so.

Of course your entitled to do as you wish but I can't believe you actually went and did the opt out over that.

Orchardman

Quote from: whitey on November 18, 2013, 07:43:27 PM
after reading that interview I can honestly say that Joe Brolly has some type of borderline personality disorder.  Im not criticizing him, its just an observation.

can you expand on your reasons?

Tony Baloney

As likeable a fella as Brolly is, and I admire him for donating a kidney, I think it's totally wrong about this "opt-out" scheme. It should be up to the person themselves whether they want to be on the donor list or not. The publicity of Joe's donation would have seen a big rise on the number of people becoming donors anyway, but there was no need to go as far with this opt-out thing. Advertise the donor register, get people like Brolly to educate people on becoming one, but don't force them to be one.

I registered to become a donor when I just left school, because it was something I wanted to do. I was on the donor list for many years, until a few months ago, when I phoned and asked for my name to be removed. The reason was because I didn't like where they were going with this opt-out thing, and told them so.
Did you think aliens or the government would harvest your organs?

whitey

Quote from: Orchardman on November 18, 2013, 11:38:45 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 18, 2013, 07:43:27 PM
after reading that interview I can honestly say that Joe Brolly has some type of borderline personality disorder.  Im not criticizing him, its just an observation.

can you expand on your reasons?

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/borderline-personality-disorder/index.shtml

He doesnt have all the symptoms, but he definitely has some, and it actually explains a lot

BennyCake

Quote from: Orchardman on November 18, 2013, 11:38:01 PM

Of course your entitled to do as you wish but I can't believe you actually went and did the opt out over that.

This is people's body parts we're talking about here. Some people are against organ donation for various reasons. I just think nobody has the right to tell me, or anyone else that you're included on the donor list without your consent. By all means, advertise the donor register, get famous names like Brolly to promote it, but this "you're in till you opt out" is just wrong. I feel strongly about it, hence why I took my name off the list.

Zulu

It's dead peoples body parts, why anyone would want to keep their organs rather than donate them is beyond me. When you die, your organs could either save the lives of people, including children, or become maggot food. There isn't a choice as far as I can see.

Cold tea

Quote from: BennyCake on November 19, 2013, 01:10:01 AM
Quote from: Orchardman on November 18, 2013, 11:38:01 PM

This is people's body parts we're talking about here. Some people are against organ donation for various reasons. I just think nobody has the right to tell me, or anyone else that you're included on the donor list without your consent. By all means, advertise the donor register, get famous names like Brolly to promote it, but this "you're in till you opt out" is just wrong. I feel strongly about it, hence why I took my name off the list.

So you would rather organs decomposed 6 feet under or get burned than help another human being live?

nrico2006

How anyone is against the Opt-out scheme is baffling?  It doesn't remove your choice, but it will increase the number of donors simply because, as mentioned on here, most people would be willing to donate but never get around to actually signing up.  With the method Brolly is proposing, there will be more organs available for those who need them as well as allowing people who don;t want to donate to either opt-out or tell their family of their wishes.  No brainer. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Keepthefaith93

Quote from: Zulu on November 19, 2013, 07:40:15 AM
It's dead peoples body parts, why anyone would want to keep their organs rather than donate them is beyond me. When you die, your organs could either save the lives of people, including children, or become maggot food. There isn't a choice as far as I can see.

Its not a simple as you are making out.

My father died when he was 42, I was 17 and the oldest of 5 children (the youngest was 1). He was on a life support machine in the hospital when we where told he had no chance and asked would we be intrested in donating his organs. For a number of reasons the decision was left to me and I agreed that it would be a comfort to know that in his death that Daddy had helped save the lives of other people. It was then explained to me that the Doctors would have to keep him on the life support machine for another 4/5 days until everything was in place to carry out the procedures. At that stage  I just wanted him home and told the doctors that if they could do it that day I would agree but if not I wanted him home now. The Doctors tried to talk to me and tell me how this decision could impact other peoples lives but neither my family or I could have coped with the wait. I often think about the decision I made and I know it was selfish but i believe it was the right decision in the circumstances.

I registered shortly after this as a organ donor so that no one ever is put in position I found myself in if anything ever happens me.

LeoMc

So are you saying people should have a choice and that you made a choice?

Fr. Cyril McDuff

Quote from: Keepthefaith93 on November 19, 2013, 11:08:08 AM

Its not a simple as you are making out.

My father died when he was 42, I was 17 and the oldest of 5 children (the youngest was 1). He was on a life support machine in the hospital when we where told he had no chance and asked would we be intrested in donating his organs. For a number of reasons the decision was left to me and I agreed that it would be a comfort to know that in his death that Daddy had helped save the lives of other people. It was then explained to me that the Doctors would have to keep him on the life support machine for another 4/5 days until everything was in place to carry out the procedures. At that stage  I just wanted him home and told the doctors that if they could do it that day I would agree but if not I wanted him home now. The Doctors tried to talk to me and tell me how this decision could impact other peoples lives but neither my family or I could have coped with the wait. I often think about the decision I made and I know it was selfish but i believe it was the right decision in the circumstances.

I registered shortly after this as a organ donor so that no one ever is put in position I found myself in if anything ever happens me.

Tough thing to have to do. Under the new system being proposed you would still have the right to make that decision.
I don't really see any down sides to the soft opt in - the final decision always falls to the family. How Bennycake can go from being in favour of organ donation to against as a result of this campaign amazes me. The family (and individual) always have the right to say no (as Bennycake has done), the only real difference is that donation will always have be discussed due to the change in policy. My understanding is that previously it may not always have been brought up, depending on the circumstances/doctor etc - if the new proposals are passed it must be discussed. This to me is the difference. Brolly and co never refer to it as presumed consent or opt out, always as soft opt in. Family consent is not presumed. If you really do not want your organs donated then all you have to do is make sure and tell your family - you do not even have to "opt out".

Fuzzman

I watched the show last night and was very impressed with Joe and how he had such a positive impact on Shane Finnegan & his wife. You could see how Joe's never admit defeat attitude has really rubbed off on Shane & his family.
So I was really surprised and how the chairman of the kidney assoc (or whatever his title was) and how all of a sudden they hit a real road block, unlike they had up North.
The main thing Joe argued was that the family still have the final say and so even if we are in an opt-out scenario, the family can still say No if they want to. No pressure on them. Granted the sad story below is indeed traumatic and placed you in an awful scenario which I totally empathize with.
However, to me the majority of us probably would be cool with giving up our organs to save others but just don't want to face up to the decision or never get off our asses to make it happen.

This is why I find Bennycake's decision as just as peculiar as the chairman of the kidney assoc.
You more or less said that you first took the bother to opt in as you wanted to make a difference and save someone's life. This was obviously very important to you which has to be commended. However, to then change your mind and choose NOT to save someone's life JUST because you feel the opt-out option is being pushed too hard or being IMPOSED on people.
Surely saving lives is more important that worrying about how is bullying their way into getting this new system in place.

Joe mentioned MD Macauley's dad last night. I knew his dad very well and he would have been so so proud to be alive today to see his son win player of the year and win another Sam. However, his wait for a new lung never materialised, probably just because too many of us never bother to getting around to opting-in. MD spent many night in the hospital with his dad listening to him gasping for air.

We're talking about saving people's lives here rather than letting your vital organs waste away as Zulu put it. You could see last night how much joy & positivity came from the act of giving from Joe to Shane. Whilst it was sad that it failed, can you imagine how many more organs would be available if all those who die each day were opted-in. Many more loved ones' lives would be saved.

Did you see the smile of the face of the man & his wife from Mayo was it who got the call to come in. He couldn't wait to find the bed and get it done. He looked like he'd won the lotto. He had a second chance at life.

I've often slated Joe and am sure I will in the future. He annoys me in loads of ways and did again this year in his rants about Tyrone & Sean Cavanagh. He loves the limelight and he does show signs of bi-polar condition. There is one thing I have to admire about the man though. He gets things done. He walks the walk. He probably drives his wife mad and his family & friends too but he is a passionate man who has decided to do something worth while with his life and make a difference in this world.

Maybe I don't have all the facts but I was really annoyed at that chairman who was putting up the obstacles to stop the opt-in scheme. You would imagine a chairman of such an organisation would be gung-ho to get as many organ donations as possible and so reduce waiting times and so save lives. How can anything be more important than that?
There is the option for the person themselves to opt out.
There is the option of the spouse & family to opt out when the person dies.
The main benefit here is that now the person has died and never got round to choosing to be a donor, now he/she can be and so if the family don't oppose it then another life could be saved.
Why is that such a bad thing BennyCake? Nobody will think any worse of you if you say no at that stage.

Keepthefaith93

I agree lads, fair play to Brolly. It is a great cause and he has my full support.

Its the bit above i was referring to.