Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Zulu on August 03, 2013, 10:36:57 PM
The same reason Kevin Moran would haul down a Kilkenny hurler going through on goal or most other players for that matter. I'm as much against rank cynicism as anyone but lets not kid ourselves we would all, as players, pull a guy down going for goal late in the game or look for a player to do it if we were coaches or fans. It's the rules and the cynical fouling further out that are the problem I think.

The comparison with hurling is pointless (no pun intended) because fouls in hurling outside the small rectangle to prevent goals still carry a heavy potential for a goal so the punishment can fit the crime, whereas it's practically impossible to score a goal in football if the opposition can put any amount of players between you and the goal. I saw plenty of incidents in the second game tonight where players had gilt-edged chances for goals yet I didn't see one player get chopped down as he was about to pull the trigger*. This is because most players do not go out to foul their opponent and saying over and over again that they do does not make it true. Now, whether Brolly is correct that Tyrone are sending out teams with instructions to immediately take out a player before making an honest attempt to win the ball, I don't know. It's entirely possible that Brolly has conjured up an idea and is ramming the facts into place that fit his prejudice. He was banging on about Tyrone closing out the game against Kildare two weeks ago by fouling which seemed dubious to me at the time, so I was inclined to think that he was employing the QC tactic of only focusing on incidents that supported his case and ignoring those that don't. Listening to Sean Kavanagh though, it bolsters Brolly's case.

*Perhaps in each case the back knew the forward would miss :P

EC Unique

Joe Brolly comes out of this looking like a bitter little fool that more and more people are catching on to where as Sean Cavanagh comes out dripping with class both on the field and in his interview. One bookable tackle can not take away from his class. Joe needs to think about lowering his alcahol intake.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: EC Unique on August 03, 2013, 10:57:33 PM
Joe Brolly comes out of this looking like a bitter little fool that more and more people are catching on to where as Sean Cavanagh comes out dripping with class both on the field and in his interview. One bookable tackle can not take away from his class. Joe needs to think about lowering his alcahol intake.

So do you by the sounds of that! #dripping

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: deiseach on August 03, 2013, 10:28:23 PMHe says that 99% of players would do the same thing, but that's not true.

You are right - 100% of players would

deiseach

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 03, 2013, 11:10:44 PM
Quote from: deiseach on August 03, 2013, 10:28:23 PMHe says that 99% of players would do the same thing, but that's not true.

You are right - 100% of players would

88.2% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Zulu

Quote from: deiseach on August 03, 2013, 10:56:10 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 03, 2013, 10:36:57 PM
The same reason Kevin Moran would haul down a Kilkenny hurler going through on goal or most other players for that matter. I'm as much against rank cynicism as anyone but lets not kid ourselves we would all, as players, pull a guy down going for goal late in the game or look for a player to do it if we were coaches or fans. It's the rules and the cynical fouling further out that are the problem I think.

The comparison with hurling is pointless (no pun intended) because fouls in hurling outside the small rectangle to prevent goals still carry a heavy potential for a goal so the punishment can fit the crime, whereas it's practically impossible to score a goal in football if the opposition can put any amount of players between you and the goal. I saw plenty of incidents in the second game tonight where players had gilt-edged chances for goals yet I didn't see one player get chopped down as he was about to pull the trigger*. This is because most players do not go out to foul their opponent and saying over and over again that they do does not make it true. Now, whether Brolly is correct that Tyrone are sending out teams with instructions to immediately take out a player before making an honest attempt to win the ball, I don't know. It's entirely possible that Brolly has conjured up an idea and is ramming the facts into place that fit his prejudice. He was banging on about Tyrone closing out the game against Kildare two weeks ago by fouling which seemed dubious to me at the time, so I was inclined to think that he was employing the QC tactic of only focusing on incidents that supported his case and ignoring those that don't. Listening to Sean Kavanagh though, it bolsters Brolly's case.

*Perhaps in each case the back knew the forward would miss :P

The point re hurling is that players would foul to prevent a goal as did Cavanagh. Yes, there were other goal chances today but I'm not sure there were any straight on goal with the game in the balance as was the case with Cananagh and while not everyone might have fouled then I'm sure every player would have wised he did on looking back at it in either code.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: deiseach on August 03, 2013, 10:37:14 PM
Fair play to Colm Parkinson for the question about the black card and Mickey Harte's opposition. It just dripped with the unspoken comment "it's because you ARE sent out to foul deliberately, aren't you?" ;D
I find that question ludicrous
no manager sends out his team to foul or even fight.
however, those competitive players would tactically foul to stop the concession f a goal. I'd agree that any player at this level would do this - imo 100% of players.
every team left in the quarter finals (and even the round before apart from london) are all practiced in cynical fouling.
Meath, kildare,galway are as adept at third man tackles, pulling a jersey, pushing , pulling, trash talking and all that nonsense that makes up modern day football (bring back allowances for a punch in the gob which would stop all these wee niggly pieces of crap) as this weekends quarter finalists.
so this vilification of the red arses is plain crazy and imo just wrong.

Joe B is using his QC skills of acting to portray a mock disgust on tyone. his mother is a tyronie and there is no way he hates them. Dungiven is far enough away from the tyrone border for him not to care that much. Maybe his time as a boarder in a school in armagh gave him bad notions of the red arses.

joe obv has been accused as being overly pro Ulster teams and is trying to come across as more balanced (!!!??) and imartial towards nordie sides by highlighting tyrones fouling- but doesnt highlight other teams. last year he went to great pans in highlighting mayo's use of cynical fouling, but has neglected to do the same this year (and mayo continue to foul cynically - same as all the other teams - so why the silence there!!??).

there is an agenda here - and its not one to highlight tyrones fouling tendencies or even highlighting cynical fouling in the game. Joe is just too smart for there not to be one. He is prob at home laughing his hole off. he is a piss taking hoor.

fiontamanachanah - your use of the l/Derry thing is pitiful and certainly drags you down in my estimation - not that this means much.

Any craic

I have been moved to write a GAA blog after Joe Brolly's outburst on TV today. 'Love him or Hate him', but read him! http://www.jeromequinnmedia.com/-blog/Joe-Brolly---Love-him-or-Hate-him_98

deiseach

Quote from: Zulu on August 03, 2013, 11:18:49 PM
The point re hurling is that players would foul to prevent a goal as did Cavanagh. Yes, there were other goal chances today but I'm not sure there were any straight on goal with the game in the balance as was the case with Cananagh and while not everyone might have fouled then I'm sure every player would have wised he did on looking back at it in either code.

And I'm sure John Leahy wishes he had gone for a point right at the end of the 1997 All-Ireland final - but that's only because he didn't succeed in getting the goal that he went for instead. Players generally try to play the ball/man clean because that's what they do, which makes incidents like that all the more striking in their incongruity. Although I'll admit having a notorious smart-arse foam at the mouth about it adds to the notoriety.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Gabriel on August 03, 2013, 08:56:15 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 03, 2013, 08:51:45 PM
I don't understand why he hates Tyrone so much? Can any northern lads explain this?

He loved Tyrone for years, the same way he loves Donegal now. Personally, I agree with him that Tyrone's cynicism today was an absolute disgrace. The attention will probably centre on the way he attacked Cavanagh.

+1
"Stercus accidit"

deiseach

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 03, 2013, 11:26:12 PM
there is an agenda here - and its not one to highlight tyrones fouling tendencies or even highlighting cynical fouling in the game. Joe is just too smart for there not to be one. He is prob at home laughing his hole off. he is a piss taking hoor.

You're probably right. I remember Les Sealey (RIP) menacing the referee after the ball was incorrectly adjudged to have crossed the line while playing for Villa against Sheffield Wednesday. The incident happened nine minutes before the end and Ron Atkinson later on said that he might have understood a player going mental at the time but to still be angry over ten minutes later was not proportionate. For Brolly to be so righteously 'angry' a good half an hour after the incident seems unlikely. Not a single word he said was not calculated.

BennyHarp

McGeeney suggested on BBC that if a clear goal scoring opportunity is prevented then a penalty should be awarded regardless if it occurs inside the box or not. If the player was prevented from scoring a goal then the punishment should at least give the attacker the chance to score a goal. Interesting idea and probably more of a deterant than a black card.
That was never a square ball!!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: deiseach on August 03, 2013, 11:27:23 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 03, 2013, 11:18:49 PM

And I'm sure John Leahy wishes he had gone for a point right at the end of the 1997 All-Ireland final - but that's only because he didn't succeed in getting the goal that he went for instead. Players generally try to play the ball/man clean because that's what they do, which makes incidents like that all the more striking in their incongruity. Although I'll admit having a notorious smart-arse foam at the mouth about it adds to the notoriety.

im sure most of us played the game clean/within the rules  - but in certain circumstances did things like cavanaghs rugby tackle on mcmanus today - I know I certainly did, whenever the occasion arose and every time too id do it.

the black book wont stop this practice next season. players just want to concede a goal and will do whatever it takes to stop one.

5 Sams

Pure gold for RTE. the whole country will be tuning in to see what Joe says next.
The Aristocrat Years

Zulu

The problem with awarding a penalty for fouling in a goal scoring situation is the daftness of referees. We only have to look at the booking of Hughes today to see that a perfectly timed tackle is not only a free but a booking when the ref clearly couldn't adjudge what it was.