Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Benny are you also saying that this new system would take away some of the feel good factor you get when you sign up to donate your organs. You know when you pass on you will possibly save another person's life.
Whereas with the opt-in system everybody is in the same boat and so it's no longer such a big deal.

Anyone know how they go about testing to see if your organs can be used or not?
If we're all opted in then how do they decide who they should operate on to remove their organs and who do they leave?
What I mean is that I presume it's a lot easier now with such small numbers being donors but what if the number of donors is greater than those on waiting lists?

Jinxy

I suppose, if you're an organ donor in the current system it feels like an altruistic gesture.
With the proposed system, you kind of lose that.
Which is completely irrelevant as far as I'm concerned anyway.
Getting the donation rate as high as possible is all that matters.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Applesisapples

I don't really know what to make of Joe, born in Derry, schooled in Armagh and subjected to Tyrone songs as a kid, no wonder he's mixed up.

Fuzzman

Colleged in Dublin and now lives and works in Belfast.
I'd say he's a well rounded chappie.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on November 19, 2013, 03:36:51 PM
I suppose, if you're an organ donor in the current system it feels like an altruistic gesture.
With the proposed system, you kind of lose that.
Which is completely irrelevant as far as I'm concerned anyway.
Getting the donation rate as high as possible is all that matters.

Deciding to be an organ donor, and then changing your mind means you were never an organ donor.
MWWSI 2017

BennyCake

Quote from: Fuzzman on November 19, 2013, 03:12:59 PM
Benny are you also saying that this new system would take away some of the feel good factor you get when you sign up to donate your organs. You know when you pass on you will possibly save another person's life.
Whereas with the opt-in system everybody is in the same boat and so it's no longer such a big deal.

It's nothing to do with feeling good about being a donor, or the removal of it with the proposed opt-out scheme.

There are people who are against blood transfusion. Remember the woman who died because she refused a transfusion as it was against her beliefs. There are people against organ transplants for the same reasons, so why should the government be making decisions about their bodies on their behalf? I'm sure most of us thought it was strange that she didn't get a transfusion that would have saved her life. And I'm sure most of us would react the same way if someone refused an organ transplant too. But people have a right to make that decision for themselves. And people should have the right to make the decision whether they want to be on a donor list too.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

Quote from: BennyCake on November 19, 2013, 06:51:05 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on November 19, 2013, 03:12:59 PM

It's nothing to do with feeling good about being a donor, or the removal of it with the proposed opt-out scheme.

There are people who are against blood transfusion. Remember the woman who died because she refused a transfusion as it was against her beliefs. There are people against organ transplants for the same reasons, so why should the government be making decisions about their bodies on their behalf? I'm sure most of us thought it was strange that she didn't get a transfusion that would have saved her life. And I'm sure most of us would react the same way if someone refused an organ transplant too. But people have a right to make that decision for themselves. And people should have the right to make the decision whether they want to be on a donor list too.

And they would have that right as far as I know - all they have to do is opt-out themselves, or let their family know they don't wish to donate their organs.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ONeill

If this becomes law does it mean that from the moment you're born you don't own your own organs unless you do something about it?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on November 19, 2013, 10:48:15 PM
If this becomes law does it mean that from the moment you're born you don't own your own organs unless you do something about it?

You do own them, until you die.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

QuoteYou do own them, until you die.

This is a good analogy. If you don't make a will then a standard formula is used for the disposal of your property, but you can make a will and have other instructions implemented. Likewise with opt out.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

Mmmm, you're not convincing me here.

So, the state owns my organs. When I die, my organs can be used to save the life of mass-murderer, paedophile....without my input (as I'm dead)?

Surely there's an ethical movement here from donating organs to taking them...?

I'm only asking questions to see how people view the shift here in state power. I know the stock answer is...sure you're dead.

Jinxy

They drain your blood during the embalming process.
Without even asking for permission!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ONeill

There should be a balanced ethical debate on this issue. I don't think it's black and white.

I read somewhere else (Telegraph) of someone who was a donor for 20 years but will cease if an opt-out comes into force simply because they feel they have the right to decide what happens to their body without being told to opt-out. Some may say that's a bit precious but some do feel that way.

On the other hand people say you cannot 'steal' from the dead as you are now dead as a living, thinking entity.

For the very religious, is there another issue here?

Finally, if the state said that when you die they will seize your assets and donate every penny to worthy causes unless you opt out, would you? If so, why?

Zulu

QuoteFinally, if the state said that when you die they will seize your assets and donate every penny to worthy causes unless you opt out, would you? If so, why?

That's not even close to being similar to what's being discussed.

QuoteI read somewhere else (Telegraph) of someone who was a donor for 20 years but will cease if an opt-out comes into force simply because they feel they have the right to decide what happens to their body without being told to opt-out. Some may say that's a bit precious but some do feel that way.

As is their right but I wouldn't agree with them.

QuoteOn the other hand people say you cannot 'steal' from the dead as you are now dead as a living, thinking entity.

For the very religious, is there another issue here?

Maybe, but they can opt out.