Mayo Medical Team should be Sacked

Started by dublin7, January 31, 2016, 07:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

Quote from: highorlow on February 01, 2016, 04:02:40 PM
QuoteWe are slowly watching the neurological disintegration of Johnny Sexton, who I am in no doubt will suffer a further concussion in the 6 nations.

It was only a matter of time before Johnny Sexton came into it. The papers have that incident completely overhyped. This thread is similar. It's very unlikely that Lee Keegan was concussed at all, the blow was to the top of his head. The recent Sexton blow was to his jaw.

Concussion is only likely if you get a clash to the temple area.

Our 2 lads in Limerick should have came back onto the pitch that day, I'm still awaiting the reason for the hold up.
One of the most ignorant things i have read on the subject, im amazed with the amount of info available that someone would have that opinion !
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11264856
This is a long article but well worth reading, some of it is frightening

I had three weeks of no games and I thought that would sort me out. But heading into my comeback match I was knocked out at training. It wasn't even a head clash. One of the boys just ran a decoy line and bumped into me and I was knocked out. When you are getting knocked out and no one is even touching your head you realise things have got pretty bad.

Jinxy

This should also be required reading for people who don't understand how concussion can continue to affect a player in the short to medium-term following the initial injury.

http://www.balls.ie/rugby/o-gara-sexton-head-injury-concern/173665

Ronan O'Gara has pulled back the curtain on what Johnny Sexton has been going through with his head injuries. According to the Irish Times, O'Gara has expressed concerns over Sexton's slow recovery.

He has struggled in training ever since his clash with Rob Kearney during last month's test against Australia.

"I think one in three sessions is troublesome at the minute, he does two in three sessions with no symptoms but without doing contact, and that would obviously worry you."

Reading between the lines, it appears highly unlikely that Sexton would be back for their fixture with Toulouse on December 28th as reported by Midi Olympique, but much closer to the 12 week resting period suggested by French neurologist Dr Jean-Francois Cherman.

So a month after sustaining the concussion, one in three NON-CONTACT training sessions were still causing him problems.
That's just doing passing & kick drills etc.
Throwing a ball made his head hurt.
Think about that for a second.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Apparently Keegan is out for the rest of the league.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AZOffaly

With what injury? Concussion related or something else? Looked like he got a bang on the cheekbone in the collision too. Is that broken?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 02, 2016, 01:58:38 PM
With what injury? Concussion related or something else? Looked like he got a bang on the cheekbone in the collision too. Is that broken?
Don't know. Just have that info.

Gaaggle

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 02, 2016, 02:07:55 PM

And you got that info from where?  Direct from Keegan?? Direct from Mayo GAA? Or did you read it as gossip on another forum and chuck it on here to give it legs?

Syferus

Quote from: Gaaggle on February 02, 2016, 03:15:48 PM

And you got that info from where?  Direct from Keegan?? Direct from Mayo GAA? Or did you read it as gossip on another forum and chuck it on here to give it legs?

You've some neck.

Farr isn't someone known to deal in ideal chatter.

larryin89

I cannot believe you're in again criticising a poster and interfering . 
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Gaaggle

Quote from: Syferus on February 02, 2016, 03:38:07 PM

You've some neck.

Farr isn't someone known to deal in ideal chatter.

Doesn't know why he's out for the league, he 'just has that info' sounds like idle chatter to me.  If he's heard something concrete share it, not throw out news as big as that and then not provide any proof it's even true.

Gaaggle

Quote from: larryin89 on February 02, 2016, 03:49:58 PM
I cannot believe you're in again criticising a poster and interfering .

Is that directed to me? And if so can you show me where I've interfered and criticised a poster before?

Jinxy

Could the three posters above me please leave the thread.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Gaaggle

Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2016, 03:57:36 PM

Eh let me think about that...

No?

Didn't realise we're all supposed to agree with what everyone else says and take rumours as fact without questioning them! Must re-read the rules again eh?

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2016, 03:57:36 PM

I'm ok where I am thanks.

Farrandeelin

Neither Keegan, nor Mayo GAA. I didn't read any other forum today either. My sister works with one of the Mayo management. If she's wrong, I'll accept responsibility for posting on the spur of the moment.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2016, 11:13:44 AM
The management teams associated with every squad in the country need to sit their players down and let them know in no uncertain terms that it is the medical team's call.
None of this "He wanted to go back on" rubbish.
What sort of an excuse is that when the player hardly knows which way is up or down?
The medical team need to know they have the full support of the management in this.
As has been pointed out, there is an exponential increase in risk when you put someone who already has a brain injury back on the field in a physical team sport.
Their capacity to protect themselves is greatly reduced and that second impact can tip the scales and make a situation irretrievable, similar to the case of that poor young lad playing schools rugby up the north.
No player should be lauded either for 'getting on with it'.
Look at american football.
Look at professional wrestling.
Look at boxing.
Wait and see what happens in rugby.
It is an appalling tragedy to see the utter devastation that acquired brain injury can wreak on the lives of current and former athletes, and their families.
We're talking depression, addiction, suicide, assaults, murders.
This isn't another one of those 'modern' creations that we can pay lip service to from a PR perspective whilst not really taking it seriously.
The potential consequences are very real.
+1
Good man, Jinxy, that's 100% bang on!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi