Jacob Rees -Mogg V Leo Varadkar

Started by T Fearon, September 09, 2017, 07:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: T Fearon on September 12, 2017, 02:38:11 PM
I think the older demographic,from which the majority of votes in the North come,are highly conservative and church going in both communities,and this would comfortably reject gay marriage in any referendum.I think that is undeniable.

This majority you speak off is typical in a Westminster or Stormont election. A referendum like this would be a completely different kettle of fish. It would bring out the young vote in force as people will see this as a chance to vote for something progressive and which their vote will actually count to make real change.

Fat Angry Motorist

Quote from: LCohen on September 12, 2017, 01:56:31 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 09, 2017, 09:27:38 PM
There are,but the unionist bloc is overwhelmingly opposed to gay marriage and this is another deterrent to unity.

I'd be fairly certain that a majority of unionists would be pro marriage equality. A healthy majority

Maybe not?  From the same Lucid Talk poll that Owen quotes below, on marraige equality:

If a referendum was held tomorrow which way would you vote (UNIONISTS ONLY)

For:  37.5%
Against: 56.25%
DK: 6.25%

If a referendum was held tomorrow which way would you vote (NATIONALISTS & REPUBLICANS ONLY)

For:  91.4%
Against: 7.00%
DK: 1.6%
Give cyclists plenty of room.  It's the rules I tells ya!

T Fearon

The opinion polls were not very accurate in the last two UK elections.There is insufficient nos to vote for this.The non Church going hetrosexual community are apathetic,whereas Unionism and a big number of catholics would be motivated to vote against,including myself.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Fat Angry Motorist on September 15, 2017, 05:52:01 PM
Quote from: LCohen on September 12, 2017, 01:56:31 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 09, 2017, 09:27:38 PM
There are,but the unionist bloc is overwhelmingly opposed to gay marriage and this is another deterrent to unity.

I'd be fairly certain that a majority of unionists would be pro marriage equality. A healthy majority

Maybe not?  From the same Lucid Talk poll that Owen quotes below, on marraige equality:

If a referendum was held tomorrow which way would you vote (UNIONISTS ONLY)

For:  37.5%
Against: 56.25%
DK: 6.25%

If a referendum was held tomorrow which way would you vote (NATIONALISTS & REPUBLICANS ONLY)

For:  91.4%
Against: 7.00%
DK: 1.6%

The 'Nat-Rep' result is enhanced by an anti Catholic Church establishment sentiment held by a significant number of voters whereas the Unionist vote doesn't have such an anti Church element but is affected by a similar element as the 'Nat-Rep', 'if themuns are for I'm agin it' N.Ireland syndrome. Given that in the Assembly votes on redefining Marriage have been carried substantially by a SF, SDLP, AP, PBP & GP voting block, the issue like the ILA is being politicised and weaponised by those accusing their political enemies of doing the same. Such is the perversity of politics in NI.

ziggysego

Quote from: T Fearon on September 15, 2017, 06:15:55 PM
The opinion polls were not very accurate in the last two UK elections.There is insufficient nos to vote for this.The non Church going hetrosexual community are apathetic,whereas Unionism and a big number of catholics would be motivated to vote against,including myself.

Actually, LucidTalk polls as been consistently been accurate in recent elections.

That aside though, why do you present polls (with no link to back up your claim) as the will of the people,yet polls which counteract your views as inaccurate?
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

On the basis that Gay Marriage is opposed practically unanimously by unionists,and no serious catholic can possibly endorse this,I have the utmost confidence that any referendum on this subject,at the end of a campaign during which all the Churches will come together in their support of maintaining the status quo,which is bound to p***k consciences on the lukewarm Catholics side,that status quo will comfortably be maintained.

There can be no equality between the normal and abnormal.

Rossfan

Render unto Ceaser.......
Civil marriage is a Ceaser function.
The sky hasn't fallen in on the 26 Counties as we get on with 21st Century life.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

Christians are duty bound to live for Christ,that is all they do,to vocally remind people that this is wrong and sinful.They cannot stop gay marriage if that is what Caesar ordains,but they are duty bound to oppose it and strive to prevent it.

Rossfan

T Fearon

She is not in my view a real Catholic,just an academic who doesn't understand you cannot water down what you believe to be truth

imtommygunn

I would say quite a few views you hold are not particularly christian. I guess if i applied your same rationale i would deem you to not be a real catholic. We are all entitled to our opinions :D

T Fearon

A real Catholic accepts the teachings of his or her Church,and doesn't try to water these down,under the guise of some false compassion,when a family member is adversely effected

imtommygunn

Can you show me where you got that definition from?

T Fearon

Catholic faith,based on scripture,states and always has stated categorically that homosexuality is sinful.Mrs Mc Aleese begs to disagree.Very simple.

Rossfan

Did Jesus condemn homosexuality anywhere in the Bible?
Does the Catholic Church teach that God makes us in His image?
Therefore he makes the Gays - so how can they be declared "sinful"