Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Gavin would be some poker player. Speaks alot but says nothing. Won't say anything controversial.

Which Tom are you referring to Don? Big or Thumb?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Right Lads, I want ye all to learn these words off by heart for next Sunday... OK??

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Unison

Quote from: Tony on June 19, 2018, 03:51:59 PM
Judging by his body language, Gavin will likely start cluxton. He also is pretty complementary of Laois here in interview below but everything he says is true enough. Would love the rub of the green, a woeful Dublin performance and our best performance in a decade and then it could be competitive. Up Laois. https://youtu.be/DQCW6eFjc44

Very naive. :-[

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Unison on June 19, 2018, 07:10:35 PM
Quote from: Tony on June 19, 2018, 03:51:59 PM
Judging by his body language, Gavin will likely start cluxton. He also is pretty complementary of Laois here in interview below but everything he says is true enough. Would love the rub of the green, a woeful Dublin performance and our best performance in a decade and then it could be competitive. Up Laois. https://youtu.be/DQCW6eFjc44

Very naive. :-[

I think Cluxton starts, I think Laois may lead at half time before going down by 6-10 points as Dublin notch it up but I do think we will force them through the gears.  Unlike Kilkenny 2 years ago where they never came out of first.

Can't see how Munnelly starts on current form but I am sure I will be shouted down on here, I think David Holland stands a good chance of starting as Sugrue may go for an orthodox corner back using the wing forwards to cover back.

Giovanni

I assume young Crowley will be detailed to pick up Kilkenny, who is in my opinion one of the players that is essential to Dublin's success. It's a tough job and an important one but if he can be as concentrated as he was against Murphy, he can do as good a job as anyone else. If he can manage to keep Kilkenny quiet, it's already an important step in the right direction

Unison

If Crowley can keep Kilkenny quiet, it will be a huge achievement. Good luck to him. However, there are so many more danger men on the Dublin team.

Unison

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on June 19, 2018, 04:34:56 PM
Right Lads, I want ye all to learn these words off by heart for next Sunday... OK??

Has the Leinster Express lost its senses?

on the hop

Quote from: Unison on June 19, 2018, 11:33:36 PM
If Crowley can keep Kilkenny quiet, it will be a huge achievement. Good luck to him. However, there are so many more danger men on the Dublin team.

Huge ask for Crowley, has great heart but can suffer physically at times. Mannion's pace and power also a huge danger, Stephen is a huge loss in that regard. I wonder will we offer some sort of protection in the backs like dropping Lillis deep, though then we have to plan for Fenton. Hopefully stop any early goals, punish any mistakes they make and try stay in the game. Interesting to see what way we will line out in the forwards. More than likely Donie will have to be played as close to the goals as possible as he won't have the mobility for Mc Carthy at centre back. Ballyroan are you putting any money on your half time prediction to be ahead. 16/1 for Laois on paddy power

portlaoisekid

It such a strange match to look forward to, there is zero expectation on us to win but on the other side this is a massive match. It'll be a proud day regardless of the score for Laois supporters especially those who have followed them religiously over the truly bad days.

It will be great to see Laois involved in a high level game once again and be the centre of attention . I'm delighted for the likes of Munnelly and JOL to get the chance of a Leinster final appearance before its too late.

I really feel we can do damage to the Dublin backline but my big worry is our defence. I just cannot see us stopping them putting up a big score. I reckon we are looking at something like Dublin 5-18 Laois 2-13.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: portlaoisekid on June 20, 2018, 09:02:07 AM
It such a strange match to look forward to, there is zero expectation on us to win but on the other side this is a massive match. It'll be a proud day regardless of the score for Laois supporters especially those who have followed them religiously over the truly bad days.

It will be great to see Laois involved in a high level game once again and be the centre of attention . I'm delighted for the likes of Munnelly and JOL to get the chance of a Leinster final appearance before its too late.

I really feel we can do damage to the Dublin backline but my big worry is our defence. I just cannot see us stopping them putting up a big score. I reckon we are looking at something like Dublin 5-18 Laois 2-13.

Hard to imagine Dublin being up for this game, I am pretty sure they will start with an air of complacency.  Regardless of any manager how can you possibly tell Dublin players that Laois are a threat and regardless there is no chance they will buy it.  In their heads we are a bad Div 4 team where I see us a middling Div 2 outfit.  I think we give Dublin food for thought once we are on the pitch.

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on June 20, 2018, 10:49:49 AM
Quote from: portlaoisekid on June 20, 2018, 09:02:07 AM

Hard to imagine Dublin being up for this game, I am pretty sure they will start with an air of complacency.  Regardless of any manager how can you possibly tell Dublin players that Laois are a threat and regardless there is no chance they will buy it.
Not so sure about that. The problem other teams have with Dublin is that the f**kers dont take anyone for granted anymore. Underperforming after 15 minutes cos you're up against some shithouse from Wicklow? Fine, you're off and I'll bring someone else on for you. Even f**king Fenton has decided to add to his game this year because he wants footballer of the year, and as a result is kicking scores off either foot for craic.

I dont believe this Dublin side do complacency, but shur f**k it, we'll see.

Butch Cassidy

No chance of the Dubs being complacent as their bench are all itching to get on.

We need to be brave and
- push up on kick ours
-  keep 3 up at all times
- keep Kilkenny and Fenton quiet (if possible)
- mix up the attack with long balls into Kingston and Evan (who I'd start) along with a running game
- keep it tight for first 20 minutes with Begley and Lilis dropping back

We are in bonus territory but we shouldn't fear the Dubs either. They are missing Connolly, Brogan and possible Cluxton. We have a good man in Sugrue at the helm, committed panel who are learning with every game and developing their style. Let's enjoy it but rattle the Dubs too!!

Clubber Lang

Laois are evens at +15 on the handicap with the bookies. Might be worth a punt.

Mannion is absolutely flying again this year. I worry that we have no one in the full back line who can match his blistering pace. Dillon might be our best bet to try hold him but it will be a tough task. Attride's absence could be sorely noted in the opening ten/fifteen minutes of the game.

While our midfield has been decent at times this year, neither O'Loughlin or Lillis would be noted high fielders. I expect Dublin to push up on our kick outs, forcing Brody to go long where MDM and Fenton would fancy themselves to win the lions share of possession. We will need to be smart with our kick out strategy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two changes in Laois forward line. O'Carroll and Walsh bring ball winning strengths and their attributes might be more suited when matched up against Cooper, McMahon etc. I would fear that the likes of Ross, Paul Kingston will struggle to find room and get on the ball with such tough and tenacious man markers picking them up.

SCFC

Quote from: Clubber Lang on June 20, 2018, 12:45:24 PM
Laois are evens at +15 on the handicap with the bookies. Might be worth a punt.

Mannion is absolutely flying again this year. I worry that we have no one in the full back line who can match his blistering pace. Dillon might be our best bet to try hold him but it will be a tough task. Attride's absence could be sorely noted in the opening ten/fifteen minutes of the game.

While our midfield has been decent at times this year, neither O'Loughlin or Lillis would be noted high fielders. I expect Dublin to push up on our kick outs, forcing Brody to go long where MDM and Fenton would fancy themselves to win the lions share of possession. We will need to be smart with our kick out strategy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two changes in Laois forward line. O'Carroll and Walsh bring ball winning strengths and their attributes might be more suited when matched up against Cooper, McMahon etc. I would fear that the likes of Ross, Paul Kingston will struggle to find room and get on the ball with such tough and tenacious man markers picking them up.
Some good thinking there Clubber.
A problem I foresee is if we are dropping a sweeper or two back is conceding the Dublin kickout. We can't afford to do that. Dillon on Mannion looks a certainty alright.