Armagh v Kerry

Started by illdecide, July 01, 2024, 09:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: armaghniac on July 06, 2024, 05:21:21 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 06, 2024, 03:25:40 PMSurely if MH is a busted flush for not beating a Dublin, Kerry in years would we not need to attach the same criteria to KMcG? Until he beats one of the big teams there'll always be questions about how much he really brings to the table.
A beating by Kerry, and I'd still be of the opinion he's lacking to get Armagh over the line,

There are beatings and beatings. Being beaten by point where otherwise good players had bad wides or silly dispossessions is not really the fault of the manager.
Would not pushing on to try and get a winner be considered a fault? Or moving too defensive when the team plays better on the front foot?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Armagh18

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 06, 2024, 05:46:30 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 06, 2024, 03:25:40 PMSurely if MH is a busted flush for not beating a Dublin, Kerry in years would we not need to attach the same criteria to KMcG? Until he beats one of the big teams there'll always be questions about how much he really brings to the table.
A beating by Kerry, and I'd still be of the opinion he's lacking to get Armagh over the line,

There are beatings and beatings. Being beaten by point where otherwise good players had bad wides or silly dispossessions is not really the fault of the manager.
Would not pushing on to try and get a winner be considered a fault? Or moving too defensive when the team plays better on the front foot?
Yeah thats a valid point. Not going to sit here and argue that Geezer is perfect or anywhere close, but I think he has us in a decent place given the lack of success our underage, schools and club teams have had in the last decade plus.

Another thing he has done brilliantly is that almost every player you'd want playing is with the squad and is fully bought in, its credit that players as good as Soupy, Oisin O'Neill and Nugent are only coming off the bench but are still committed.

snoopdog

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 06, 2024, 08:01:33 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 06, 2024, 05:46:30 PM

Yeah thats a valid point. Not going to sit here and argue that Geezer is perfect or anywhere close, but I think he has us in a decent place given the lack of success our underage, schools and club teams have had in the last decade plus.

Another thing he has done brilliantly is that almost every player you'd want playing is with the squad and is fully bought in, its credit that players as good as Soupy, Oisin O'Neill and Nugent are only coming off the bench but are still committed.

Kildare thought the same about McGeeney. Turned out he had them punching above their weight. Maybe he is doing similar with Armagh.

From the Bunker

Quote from: snoopdog on July 06, 2024, 08:34:13 PMKildare thought the same about McGeeney. Turned out he had them punching above their weight. Maybe he is doing similar with Armagh.

McGeeney managed the Kildare senior football team from 2007 until 2013. In that period they contested ONE Leinster Final in 2009 . They won No Leinsters! The team also reached the 2010 All-Ireland SFC semi-final in 2010, losing narrowly to Down.

snoopdog

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 06, 2024, 09:11:57 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on July 06, 2024, 08:34:13 PMKildare thought the same about McGeeney. Turned out he had them punching above their weight. Maybe he is doing similar with Armagh.

McGeeney managed the Kildare senior football team from 2007 until 2013. In that period they contested ONE Leinster Final in 2009 . They won No Leinsters! The team also reached the 2010 All-Ireland SFC semi-final in 2010, losing narrowly to Down.

And what had they achieved before that? Apart from Micko's time.
All I'm saying is if Armagh lose on Saturday then they need to be careful regards McGeeney. It's quite possible he is already getting the most out of this group of players. And thry aren't that far off. A change in management quite possibly will see them drop off a bit.

bennydorano

I've flip flopped on McGeeney a couple of times, the Monaghan game a bit of a nadir, the Donegal league final was infuriating as well. But - I've then watched 3 months of Armagh club football to date and you honest to god watch it sometimes and realise our current County team strength is a huge achievement - a lot of the Armagh support don't bother with club football at all so are largely oblivious.

From the Bunker

Quote from: snoopdog on July 07, 2024, 07:12:47 AM

All I'm saying is if Armagh lose on Saturday then they need to be careful regards McGeeney. It's quite possible he is already getting the most out of this group of players. And thry aren't that far off. A change in management quite possibly will see them drop off a bit.

Miko had brought them up a level, Contesting and winning Leinster's, contesting AI finals. With McGeeney Kildare floated around the back-door with some good results - but nothing of note.  Seanie Johnston's inter-county transfer from Cavan to Kildare was one of the more embarrassing episodes of that era.

statto

Quote from: bennydorano on July 07, 2024, 09:12:12 AMI've flip flopped on McGeeney a couple of times, the Monaghan game a bit of a nadir, the Donegal league final was infuriating as well. But - I've then watched 3 months of Armagh club football to date and you honest to god watch it sometimes and realise our current County team strength is a huge achievement - a lot of the Armagh support don't bother with club football at all so are largely o
Quote from: bennydorano on July 07, 2024, 09:12:12 AMI've flip flopped on McGeeney a couple of times, the Monaghan game a bit of a nadir, the Donegal league final was infuriating as well. But - I've then watched 3 months of Armagh club football to date and you honest to god watch it sometimes and realise our current County team strength is a huge achievement - a lot of the Armagh support don't bother with club football at all so are largely oblivious.
You will soon hear about it on social media that then non club supporter can't get a ticket or the train times don't suit them or are unable to get train tickets.near as bad as england fans regarding entitlement.

statto

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 07, 2024, 09:18:03 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on July 07, 2024, 07:12:47 AM

Miko had brought them up a level, Contesting and winning Leinster's, contesting AI finals. With McGeeney Kildare floated around the back-door with some good results - but nothing of note.  Seanie Johnston's inter-county transfer from Cavan to Kildare was one of the more embarrassing episodes of that era.

one all Ireland which they lost?

Rossfan

They can't even make a Tailteann final now!

That Johnston episode was some embarrassment alright.
Talk about bringing a sport into disrepute.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armagh18

I'd say Kildare fans would take their form under McGeeney back in a heartbeat compare to now.

Armagh had some low days pre that team of the late 90's and noughties.

NotedObserver

How often has geezer changed his back room staff during his time with Armagh?

Fuzzman

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 02, 2024, 08:55:50 AMKerry are a dirty shower and have been this years. Sure Tomas O'Se is one of the main pundits talking about this and while he was a great footballer he was a dirty bollocks.

Be careful not to get Covid lads as they are very allergic to that topic in Kerry 😂

tbrick18

For what it's worth, from the outside looking in, Armagh have been consistently in the top 10 teams in Ireland during Mcgeeney's time with a fair bit of time in the top 6 in the country with a group of players without any stars.
For me, that's punching above where they are in terms of individual players.
What manager would have done better? For those calling for Mcgeeney to leave, be careful what you wish for.

I actually think Armagh have a really good chance of beating Kerry here - but they need to play it cool and not go all guns blazing. Play the defensive game and attack on the counter. It was actually working for Derry, only their counter wasn't at the races at all and when we had to chase the game it opened us up at the back letting Kerry do what they do. But the defensive part had Kerry frustrated and making mistakes. Armagh should be able to counter better than we did.

It would be great to see a final without Kerry and Dublin there.

So for once, I'll back the apple picking, buckfast drinking, bandwagon hopping orangemen for the win.  ;D

5times5times

Looks like a very poor attendance for this game. Lot of the upper deck not planned to be open, and behind the goals full of empty seats.

Maybe people holding out to Thurs/Fri isnt the best idea?