Armagh v Kerry

Started by illdecide, July 01, 2024, 09:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

I'm quietly confident.

On the McGeeney thing I would be careful what you wish for is right.

I think a lot of Armagh people though remember how Joe Kernan won us the All Ireland after the 2 Brians had taken us to a very good place but just not to that top level. Similar to Dooher and Logan more recently coming in and taking Hartes team to the next level in 21. People maybe think/thought a new manager like a Malachy O'Rourke etc would see us kick on to the next level.

Maybe it would or maybe we'd see a big drop off, I'm not sure any other manager would get the same buy in as McGeeney has got from our lads.

armaghniac

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 07, 2024, 10:53:06 AMI'd say Kildare fans would take their form under McGeeney back in a heartbeat compare to now.

Armagh had some low days pre that team of the late 90's and noughties.

In the mid 70s, which is before I saw much of Armagh, they were something like 31st in the country (above Kilkenny) and had to get someone from the crowd to line out in a league game. Then things were tightened up and you had the 1977 AI final and some Ulster titles, and twice reaching the national league final (to lose to neighbours :o). They never returned to the lows of the previous decade, being at least a middling team at all times, but there were other good Ulster teams in the mid 90s, as the AI victories showed.

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 09, 2024, 11:40:25 AMFor what it's worth, from the outside looking in, Armagh have been consistently in the top 10 teams in Ireland during Mcgeeney's time with a fair bit of time in the top 6 in the country with a group of players without any stars.

I don't think they were in the top 10 seven or eight years ago. We were in Div 3, and were beaten in Ulster by Fermanagh and Down FFS. Obviously they had some of the players they currently have and the likes of Jamie Clarke would get on any team in Ireland. But they did build from that time and are now a threat to any team. With good minors this year hopefully they won't fall back too far.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

balladmaker

Jaysus lads, what's all this negativity and managerial change talk about 4 days out from an All Ireland Semi Final.  Let's get the positive juices flowing ... Armagh by 5 pulling up!  8)

tiempo

Quote from: balladmaker on July 09, 2024, 02:18:34 PMJaysus lads, what's all this negativity and managerial change talk about 4 days out from an All Ireland Semi Final.  Let's get the positive juices flowing ... Armagh by 5 pulling up!  8)

I fully believe Armagh could win this by a few, expecting a grade A performance as they'll need every ounce of it

But I fear Donegals name is on the cup, Armagh could win the semi only to lose an Ulster derby final, which would be excruciating

naka

Quote from: tiempo on July 09, 2024, 02:27:30 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on July 09, 2024, 02:18:34 PMJaysus lads, what's all this negativity and managerial change talk about 4 days out from an All Ireland Semi Final.  Let's get the positive juices flowing ... Armagh by 5 pulling up!  8)

I fully believe Armagh could win this by a few, expecting a grade A performance as they'll need every ounce of it

But I fear Donegals name is on the cup, Armagh could win the semi only to lose an Ulster derby final, which would be excruciating
funny when coming out of the ulster final i said we will play them again but come out on the right side
fully expect an armagh/donegal final with us winning .

yellowcard

I believe this is a very winnable match mainly due to the fact that Kerry struggle to break down a strong defensive system. We probably have the best overall defensive system in the country given the fact that individually we aren't blessed with many great individual defenders but the system more than compensates for this and for which management must be given credit. We don't concede goals and Kerry don't score very many so I think if we can keep a clean sheet we have a good chance of progressing to the final.

If we can tie down the 2 Cliffords and O'Shea then Kerrys other forwards aren't that great. So this is one occasion where I don't really care about the type of football we play as long as we progress to the final. But I do think we need to leave 1/2 forwards up the pitch at all times which we didn't do against Roscommon as we need to carry a kicking threat on the counter attack. Then if it is a close match with 10 minutes to go we can unleash Soupy, Nugent, Duffy and O'Neill from the bench to help win us the match.     

yellowcard

Quote from: naka on July 09, 2024, 02:34:40 PM

funny when coming out of the ulster final i said we will play them again but come out on the right side

I'm not sure what this Donegal prediction is based on. Galway were the best team Armagh have faced this year by some distance. They really should have beaten us in Sligo in the group stages but for a goalkeeping error, while I thought we should have beaten Donegal in the Ulster final.

I'd fancy Galway to beat them on Sunday simply due to the fact that they have better footballers. 

trueblue1234

Quote from: yellowcard on July 09, 2024, 02:46:25 PM
Quote from: naka on July 09, 2024, 02:34:40 PM

I'm not sure what this Donegal prediction is based on. Galway were the best team Armagh have faced this year by some distance. They really should have beaten us in Sligo in the group stages but for a goalkeeping error, while I thought we should have beaten Donegal in the Ulster final.

I'd fancy Galway to beat them on Sunday simply due to the fact that they have better footballers.
Would it not be fair to say people would rate Donegal's chances of progression higher than Armagh's.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Ethan Tremblay

Haven't checked the odds, but Donegal and Galway would be a toss of a coin as to who wins in my view? A bit of good/bad luck will swing it either way. 

Armagh on the other hand need everything going right for them to get them passed Kerry.  Armagh are closer to Kerry's level than they have been this past 20 years, but if they under perform they will be nowhere near them.

Hoping for two good games more than anything.   
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

5times5times

Long shot, but does anyone know if they'll be offering a resale/move ability? Son went and bought hill tickets for 2 adults 1 kid.... when I can see good seats still available.  :-X

Wildweasel74

They won't do a move ability, needed that last game myself, went to the Hill, hadn't been on it in yrs, great spot,if its dry

Captain Scarlet

Kerry fans are always hard to call but there will be a massive Armagh crowd.

I know Armagh can't allow a totally open game BUT surely they won't sit back all day?

Although Kerry are not as worried about winning ugly these days...
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

bennydorano

I don't expect us to win. The only thing that will really piss me off is if we play skitterball like Derry did in the Q/F or the way we did in the league in Tralee in 2023, we have to be much braver.

imtommygunn

Would love to see Armagh win this or at least die with their boots on. They definitely have more in their forwards than Derry so I would hope that will encourage them to push a bit more and it's the kind of game Rian O'Neill should be crying out for if he's as talented as some think he is.

Armagh definitely much better this year though this may be a step too far. Really would love to see them go at Kerry and try to put them on the back foot.

screenexile

Quote from: bennydorano on July 10, 2024, 08:28:00 AMI don't expect us to win. The only thing that will really piss me off is if we play skitterball like Derry did in the Q/F or the way we did in the league in Tralee in 2023, we have to be much braver.

What will you do if Kerry play skitterball though?? They seem fairly comfortable with it now I can't imagine they'll want a midfield battle as Armagh will win that. I can see them conceding the kickout and the game turning into a muckfest!