2019 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 10, 2019, 06:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jd

Rte just summed up the attitude towards the Joe Mcdonagh........ covered everything up to Munster ladies first round and not a mention of Joe Mcdonagh on 9 o clock sports news. Laois game probably  the game of the weekend.

burdizzo

Yes, indeed, thrilling game, and fantastic result. Looked bad when we went 1-6 tom 0-5 down midway through the first half, but in fairness, lads who had been shaky - Phelan, King - knuckled down and we steadied the ship. Should almost have been ahead at half-time. Second half, though - some game. When we got the goals at the start of the second half, it was crucial we scored next, but each time, Offaly got a point back, and we seemed vulnerable when their forwards ran through on goal. Matthew Whelan was tremendously brave blocking one shot, with the ball hitting his head. He was down for a good while, but had a great finale, catching a couple of good balls into the square. Jack Kelly seemed to be carrying an injury into the game - and I hope he's all right - but he certainly wasn't as good as he can be. Padraig Delaney will be sore, too - borderline red-card pull on him - but he got up after lengthy attention, and soldiered on. Good second half from the forwards, and nice passing (Cha's might've been a throw!) for some of the goals, with Ross really coming alive.
Offaly weren't great, and made a few simple errors themselves, even when not under pressure. However, the harrying from the Laois lads was top-class, and resulted in a good few turn-overs. You almost expected Laois to come away with it out of a ruck.
Antrim, I think, had a big win over Kerry, so the job is far from done. A great start, though, and hopefully lads like Matthew and Padraig Delaney will be fit for it.

Oh, and I should just add that Ryan Mullaney was outstanding - probably man of the match, just pipping Mark Kavanagh.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: G@@ on May 11, 2019, 09:18:04 PM

I think it might be this lad... https://www.facebook.com/BrophyVideography/

What a result tonight, wasn't at the game owing to family commitments - but listening to it on MR103 for the second half!

WOW! Full value for the €10 entrance fee in Tullamore for those who went.

I'm delighted for the lads, a never say die attitude and fair play to Offaly too who showed the same never-say-die attitude.

What a showdown it would be if we got a repeat for the final!

A long road to go yet, but confidence must be brimming now going into the next three games. I see Antrim gave Kerry a bit of a hiding up in the glens too.
Thanks, G@@! I will check to see if this is the guy.

If Laois can narrow in some of those wides they will be formidable.

I wonder how Carlow are going to do, this afternoon--eh, I'm getting ahead of myself.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

MasterJ

Some goal fest!!!!! Why isn't there any media coverage of the Joe McDonagh cup. Like that was some intense game. Although Antrim slaughtered Kerry by 3-19 to 0-14. Antrim next in O'Moore Park. Another win needed!

CruiseCigar

Fair play to laois. Nice to see a few goals going in. Sounds very poor media coverage indeed
Laoise abú

Countyminor

Huge credit to Ryan Mullaney. On a wretched week personally to go and hurl like he did is testament to the character of the man. Good to see Paddy back hitting the onion bag, Ross back into the fold, Mark Kav outstanding and a great impact from the bench. Would be nice if RTÉ gave it a mention (however unlikely) tonight and perhaps approached it from the angle of Laois being good instead of Offaly being awful and in decline.

G@@

Quote from: Countyminor on May 12, 2019, 11:25:57 AM
Huge credit to Ryan Mullaney. On a wretched week personally to go and hurl like he did is testament to the character of the man.

Absolutely - well said and it deserves to be acknowledged.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

seafoid

Super and historic win for Laois . Well done
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Unlaoised

Good win a joy to be at the game...Laois should have won by more we were 8 points the better team but Offaly are hard to shake off and our lads shot selection really kills us a times we must have had close to 20 wides.

Ryan and Matthew were superb.

Not great support over there which was a bit disappointing .Foyle looks in no shape to be even a sub pity he is such a talent!
LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

I thought the Laois support was decent enough.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Unlaoised on May 12, 2019, 05:52:07 PM
Not great support over there which was a bit disappointing .Foyle looks in no shape to be even a sub pity he is such a talent!

They were complementing the size and vocal nature of the Laois support over on the Offaly site.

Fabulous win. Only the 2nd time we have beaten Offaly in the championship in the last half century so we should be delighted. Strong possibility we will face them again if both teams hurl like they did last night.

Nice to see the contributions from so many lads last night, starters and subs. The lads stood up to be counted and there were leaders everywhere. A great start for Eddie and crew.

Giovanni

For sure, any win in the championship against Offaly is a good win! Some very good performances from the likes of Ryan Mullaney (who was superb) and Mark Kavanagh who has some skill levels.

Agree with Unlaoised about the poor shot selection at times. We could easily have been 8 points up at half time but for some poor shooting. If we could cut the misses in half, we'd be giving ourselves a good chance in most games.

I must say I found a few things odd. I thought the midfield didn't function all that well and when you have so many good forwards, I would have thought that Paddy Purcell and even Roddy would be better options there.

I also thought that the backs were left isolated one on one against bigger forwards too often. I would have thought that there could have been a bit more work done by the midfielders in that area. Eric Killeen did well when he came on back there.

Helix.

Quote from: Giovanni on May 12, 2019, 09:38:41 PM
For sure, any win in the championship against Offaly is a good win! Some very good performances from the likes of Ryan Mullaney (who was superb) and Mark Kavanagh who has some skill levels.

Agree with Unlaoised about the poor shot selection at times. We could easily have been 8 points up at half time but for some poor shooting. If we could cut the misses in half, we'd be giving ourselves a good chance in most games.

I must say I found a few things odd. I thought the midfield didn't function all that well and when you have so many good forwards, I would have thought that Paddy Purcell and even Roddy would be better options there.

I also thought that the backs were left isolated one on one against bigger forwards too often. I would have thought that there could have been a bit more work done by the midfielders in that area. Eric Killeen did well when he came on back there.

Fantastic win first and foremost. Regardless  of state of Offaly hurling they still had to be beaten and good boost to win away from home. The diagonal ball inside the full forward line caused us a lot of problems. We were definitely the better side and great to see fitness levels and our first touch improving which Eddie has definitely brought improvement with.
Thought Offaly lucky to have 15 men on the field. Think it was the wing back who wildly swung in second half under the stand. Clumsy but wreckless on the same hand. We hassles and harried all through game and couldn't fault the work rate from the lads.
Antrim at home next hopefully can improve shot selection and tighten up at the back for next day. Offaly's 2nd and 3rd goal very soft ones to give away and hopefully we'll improve with games.

Mossy Bruce

I saw a post on Twitter, today, that said the Irish Daily Star ran a story claiming that RTE offered to air the Joe McDonagh Cup Final but the GAA turned them down. WTF?!?!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Laois Rising

It was because the game would have to start at 11.30am for rte to show it live. Munster final at 2pm and Leinster final at 4pm. With the possibility of the game going to extra time it would mean a ridiculously early throw in time. As far as I am aware, TG4 will be showing coverage of the final at 2pm coinciding with the Munster Final.