Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 19, 2018, 10:29:01 AM
I thought Fury looked ok last night. The guys been out for nearly 3 years and ballooned to 27 stone, what he needed more than anything was rounds and he got that. Some of his combinations looked fairly slick to me and his movement off the ropes at times looked very good. Fury always looks a bit awkward and will never have the aesthetic appeal of the likes of others but ffs have a look at Wilder's style. The awkwardness of Fury, his switching to southpaw, his ability to judge distance and avoid being hit, combined with quick hands makes him a very tough opponent. Unless Wilder catches him with one of his windmills if Fury loses concentration, then I expect the fight to be similar to last night and the Wlad fight where Fury jabs all night and rarely gets hit. Unless of course Fury loses the plot before then.
Not much of a power puncher tho, he could paw and slap all night but Wilder, AJ, Whyte, Chisora, Povetkin could spark Any other heavyweight out with one punch.

NAG1

Quote from: lurganblue on August 21, 2018, 02:24:06 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on August 21, 2018, 12:21:37 PM
Quote from: Orior on August 21, 2018, 11:04:50 AM
Can anyone confirm or deny that there was "F*#% the pope" songs at Windsor Park on Saturday night?

To be fair anyone going to Windsor Park and getting offended by that type of chanting would need to take a look at themselves.

Spoke to numerous people who attended and heard the chanting inside but more so outside the ground.

Was to be expected. Along with the usual stand up for the ulster men chant that fairly splits the audience.

Thought Frampton looked sharp tbh, even taking into consideration his opponent.  I'd expect him to have too much for Warrington.

Does it really matter if he wins or loses the next fight? People coming out to support him arent what you would term boxing fans, strikes me a bit like the crowds going to Ulster Rugby. They go for the entertainment and a night out on the beer. The sport is secondary.

He could lose the next fight and still come back to Belfast and sell out the Odyssey. Think it was clearly shown last week that this is more about making money than it is anything to do with sport.

Minder

Quote from: NAG1 on August 21, 2018, 02:29:50 PM
Can anyone confirm or deny that there was "F*#% the pope" songs at Windsor Park on Saturday night?

To be fair anyone going to Windsor Park and getting offended by that type of chanting would need to take a look at themselves.

Spoke to numerous people who attended and heard the chanting inside but more so outside the ground.

Was to be expected. Along with the usual stand up for the ulster men chant that fairly splits the audience.

Thought Frampton looked sharp tbh, even taking into consideration his opponent.  I'd expect him to have too much for Warrington.

Does it really matter if he wins or loses the next fight? People coming out to support him arent what you would term boxing fans, strikes me a bit like the crowds going to Ulster Rugby. They go for the entertainment and a night out on the beer. The sport is secondary.

He could lose the next fight and still come back to Belfast and sell out the Odyssey. Think it was clearly shown last week that this is more about making money than it is anything to do with sport.

I thought it was all to fulfil Framptons "dream" of fighting in Windsor  ;)
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Therealdonald

Quote from: Minder on August 21, 2018, 02:59:04 PM

If you go to Windsor Park for any kind of sporting event you'd need to take a good long look at yourself.

Orior

Quote from: Therealdonald on August 21, 2018, 04:12:50 PM

If you go to Windsor Park for any kind of sporting event you'd need to take a good long look at yourself.

Emmmm, what about the time David Jeffrey let the camogie players use it?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Therealdonald

Quote from: Orior on August 21, 2018, 04:25:31 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on August 21, 2018, 04:12:50 PM

Emmmm, what about the time David Jeffrey let the camogie players use it?

One swallow never made a summer. Not sure where you're from Orior, but coming from the North I would never step foot in Windsor Park. Be as welcoming of a feeling as the 12th parade in Moygashel.

AQMP

'RA songs at a Wolfe Tones concert, Limerick hurlers singing "Sean South", sectarian chanting at Windsor Park...who'd have thunk it??

Therealdonald

Quote from: AQMP on August 21, 2018, 04:40:27 PM
'RA songs at a Wolfe Tones concert, Limerick hurlers singing "Sean South", sectarian chanting at Windsor Park...who'd have thunk it??

Funny thing is that its ok for Sean South to be sung, but dare we sing the Celtic Symphony.  ::)

michaelg

Unbelievable Jeff.  In similar news, I was mortally offended by the repeated Ole, Ole, Ole chants.

gallsman

Quote from: bennydorano on August 21, 2018, 02:27:33 PM
I thought Fury looked ok last night. The guys been out for nearly 3 years and ballooned to 27 stone, what he needed more than anything was rounds and he got that. Some of his combinations looked fairly slick to me and his movement off the ropes at times looked very good. Fury always looks a bit awkward and will never have the aesthetic appeal of the likes of others but ffs have a look at Wilder's style. The awkwardness of Fury, his switching to southpaw, his ability to judge distance and avoid being hit, combined with quick hands makes him a very tough opponent. Unless Wilder catches him with one of his windmills if Fury loses concentration, then I expect the fight to be similar to last night and the Wlad fight where Fury jabs all night and rarely gets hit. Unless of course Fury loses the plot before then.
Not much of a power puncher tho, he could paw and slap all night but Wilder, AJ, Whyte, Chisora, Povetkin could spark Any other heavyweight out with one punch.

So? Power punching has never been Fury's game. Didn't stop becoming world champion in Klitschko's backyard.

Syferus

If Fury gets himself in proper shape he can humiliate Wilder. But taking this fight so soon is a big risk.

screenexile

Quote from: michaelg on August 21, 2018, 06:45:15 PM

Unbelievable Jeff.  In similar news, I was mortally offended by the repeated Ole, Ole, Ole chants.

Indeed!! What exactly is offensive about Stand up for the Ulstermen?

screenexile

Anybody who thinks the towel was thrown in too early should take a look at Jackson's twitter feed today!!

Jim Bob

Quote from: gallsman on August 21, 2018, 09:06:03 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on August 21, 2018, 02:27:33 PM

So? Power punching has never been Fury's game. Didn't stop becoming world champion in Klitschko's backyard.

And then proceeding to bum and blow about it in just about every interview he has done since

nrico2006

Fury isn't a bug one punch knock out artist but he still stops a lot of fighters.  Chisora is a tough man but look at the hiding Fury gave him in their second fight.  Before the weekend I thought it would be too early for Fury and it would be better if he had another 2 fights, but as has been well documented it will likely be the guts of 18/24 months before he gets another shot at Wilder so he has to take it now.  He will beat Wilder too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'