Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Johnson

Quote from: gerrykeegan on January 11, 2023, 09:36:20 PM
Anyone fly into Bergamo and holiday in Lake Garda? Huge difference in prices of flights to Bergamo v Verona. 1600 v 2600 for the four of us.

Yeah we flew into Bergamo when staying at Bella Italia. Hired a car and it was a handy drive about 50-60 mins mostly motorway. Saved a good bit compared to Verona. Actually booked the other day going back end of May.

Got a good saving booking direct with Bella Italia this time compared to Eurocamp that we normally book with.

As for the fella above asking about kids, Eurocamps are the best imo. Though we have also been to Magic Natura twice and it is great. Prices are mental this year compared to what we have paid previous. Magic Natura is handy compared to most hotels / all inclusives because you get the wee lodges and can put the kids to bed and then still sit up.

maddog

Was in Italian lakes area last year more by accident than anything else. Was driving along in France and couldnt get off motorway, only option was tunnel into Italy. Stayed 2 nights by lake orta which is the most westerly of the lakes and much smaller than Como or Garda but it was absolutely stunning (camping Castellania) This was July and was 42c so on the warm side. Dont know what its like at other times of year but i got hammered by the mosquitoes, had spray on but bastards able to bite through tshirts. Then went onto Lake Como which again was spectacular but wouldnt recommend driving a motorhome around it unless you like stopping every 100 yards and pulling wing mirror in. Ended up staying at place called Camp class on lake Pusiano near Erba. Its a family oriented camp site but nothing as posh as would imagine eurocamps to be. Seemed to be just all Italians and going on prices i'd say was great value. 6euro for as good a pizza you will eat anywhere, beers 4euro. Had paid 10euro in Morzine for a pint only a few days before.
Back in the area in May all being well for Springsteen in ferrara and then onto the giro D'italia in the Dolomites and if time nip into Slovenia. Weather will dictate i guess.

Rois

Quote from: maddog on January 13, 2023, 11:21:15 AM
Ended up staying at place called Camp class on lake Pusiano near Erba. Its a family oriented camp site but nothing as posh as would imagine eurocamps to be. Seemed to be just all Italians and going on prices i'd say was great value. 6euro for as good a pizza you will eat anywhere, beers 4euro. Had paid 10euro in Morzine for a pint only a few days before.

See, that sounds OK to me.  When we went to Bella Italia with Eurocamp last year, our neighbours were from Lisburn.  Lovely people, but not what I expected.  Posh it definitely wasn't! 
Did you go through the Mont Blanc tunnel at Chamonix? 

maddog

Must have been that tunnel as we left the TDF in Megeve so that would be nearest. That little campsite had everything a family would need, several pools, bar, restaurant, shop, lake beside it for canoing etc. I guess round those parts there are tons of them.

Rois

We were staying in Chamonix and went to see the TDF on the day it finished at Megeve - we were down at St Gervais to watch it come through. 
The town of Courmayeur on the other side of the tunnel in Italy is just lovely.

Tony Baloney

Re. Sicily where is the best base and is a car essential to get the best out of it?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 15, 2023, 05:00:44 PM
Re. Sicily where is the best base and is a car essential to get the best out of it?

You flying from Dublin or England?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 15, 2023, 05:31:48 PM

Research so far. Ryanair only fly into Palermo from Dublin then looks like a right trek to Taormina as one option.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 15, 2023, 06:02:42 PM

Research so far. Ryanair only fly into Palermo from Dublin then looks like a right trek to Taormina as one option.

That other airport is pretty close to your destination

As Manchester snd London would be the only ones that fly to Cantani
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 15, 2023, 06:02:42 PM

Aer Lingus flew to Catania at one stage. I visited Sicily by flying into one and out of the other.
Taormina was easily reached from Catania, it is a pity if there no longer seems to be flights there.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

manfromdelmonte

a lot of italian campsites can be much more basic than French campsites.

love the italian mountain villages, especially up in the Dolomites - stunning. Expensive though due to the proliferation of germans and austrians in the summer

haranguerer

Have you brought the kids along for a ski holiday yet Rois, or are you holding off until they can start to ski themselves?

Rois

Quote from: haranguerer on January 16, 2023, 11:32:07 AM
Have you brought the kids along for a ski holiday yet Rois, or are you holding off until they can start to ski themselves?
Bone of contention in this house.  Not skiing this year, and next year may be a girls only trip with friends, unless I can gather up another family of similar construction who might want to share child minding duties, or find a chalet with good in-house childcare (they exist, but really expensive).  I'm keen - OH is less so.  Will prob wait til both are ready before starting ski school proper.

Grandparents are too told to want to go to the cold to help. 

Any thoughts yourselves? 

haranguerer

Same lines - was hoping you'd have insight on how to tick all the boxes...I don't really want to go without them but neither do I want to park it altogether for a few years. I have seen crèches advertised in some resorts which would presumably be cheaper than in-chalet childcare but don't know anything about it. 

scout

Anyone here done the ring of Kerry cycle? Looking to it & a week down in Kerry for holidays. But don't see any date for the 2023 ring of Kerry cycle event. Think it's usually July time?