Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Oh for goodness sake, my children have both travelled before - the 10 month old has already been to Lisbon, the Alps and Lake Garda, and we survived.  The 2 year old didn't get to go to Lisbon, but she's done the Alps twice.  The kids might not remember it, but doesn't mean our memories of visiting these places aren't good, and therefore not a waste of time for us.  Well, apart from the Eurocamp one in Lake Garda.  Definitely too young for a caravan holiday.  Should have stayed in a hotel. 

Both sets of grandparents are well into their 70s and not capable of taking two of them (or even one each), and I certainly wouldn't land it on them. 

Aristo 60

I'm in your camp Rois! Metaphorically speaking!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on January 04, 2023, 02:49:23 PM
Oh for goodness sake, my children have both travelled before - the 10 month old has already been to Lisbon, the Alps and Lake Garda, and we survived.  The 2 year old didn't get to go to Lisbon, but she's done the Alps twice.  The kids might not remember it, but doesn't mean our memories of visiting these places aren't good, and therefore not a waste of time for us.  Well, apart from the Eurocamp one in Lake Garda.  Definitely too young for a caravan holiday.  Should have stayed in a hotel. 

Both sets of grandparents are well into their 70s and not capable of taking two of them (or even one each), and I certainly wouldn't land it on them.

I did say in jest!!

But when you are a cranky aul shit (over 50) we like to moan

As I said I'd them with us from year dot on every holiday, remember one time the wife was 7 months pregnant and the the eldest daughter was 1 that was was a laugh... not ;D

Listen, we laugh about it now, wasn't laughing too much then  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 04, 2023, 03:13:24 PM

I did actually cry on day 3 into our Alpine holiday in July wondering what we'd done (5 month old and 22 month old) - but once we realised that we didn't HAVE to be doing 10 mile hikes starting at 8am, that we could have the odd takeaway and not have to go to a restaurant every night, and that we could actually slow the pace down a bit, we had a super time. 

Back to Dubrovnik, anyone got any hotel recommendations? 

naka

Quote from: Rois on January 04, 2023, 03:26:06 PM

I did actually cry on day 3 into our Alpine holiday in July wondering what we'd done (5 month old and 22 month old) - but once we realised that we didn't HAVE to be doing 10 mile hikes starting at 8am, that we could have the odd takeaway and not have to go to a restaurant every night, and that we could actually slow the pace down a bit, we had a super time. 

tbf i stay in lapad rather than dubronik as there is a fab bus servive 22 hours a day into teh walled city and a better range of hotels with pools
stayed in the royal blue and royal princess whch are on the water and there is a nice walkway with bars etc into lapad if you dont want to go into dubronik every night

Rois

Quote from: naka on January 04, 2023, 04:17:15 PM

tbf i stay in lapad rather than dubronik as there is a fab bus servive 22 hours a day into teh walled city and a better range of hotels with pools
stayed in the royal blue and royal princess whch are on the water and there is a nice walkway with bars etc into lapad if you dont want to go into dubronik every night
Thank you - exactly what I was hoping for.  I was looking at the Royal group - would you be welcome in the Royal Princess with young children? There's also another group (Valamar) that seem to be near the Royal ones too (Babin Kuk, is that the same general area?) .  We def don't want to go into Dubrovnik old town every night.  Is the walkway flat (for buggies)? 
Someone has mentioned Cavtat, but I can't find a suitable hotel.

bennydorano

I'm for Gran Canaria next weekend, January blues can sod off. Officially a cycling trip but as I got a major creaming by a car last Spring it will likely be a Jolly for me.

PMG1

Totally agree, brought our children for a 2 week holiday every year and they and us loved it. Too many parents fuss too much with and about their children, should be a pleasure to have them with you and bring them up. Mine are past it now (although they would still take the free holiday if we let them) but I definitely never regretted bringing them at the time. Great family memories made

galwayman

Quote from: Rois on January 04, 2023, 04:25:13 PM

Thank you - exactly what I was hoping for.  I was looking at the Royal group - would you be welcome in the Royal Princess with young children? There's also another group (Valamar) that seem to be near the Royal ones too (Babin Kuk, is that the same general area?) .  We def don't want to go into Dubrovnik old town every night.  Is the walkway flat (for buggies)? 
Only been to Dubrovnik once and that was without kids for a work conference out of season (March).
The old town really is stunning.
Just to say I stayed in one of the Valamar properties in Babin Kuk and thought it was ideally located.
Bus stop right there for a regular bus that took maybe about 15-20 mins to the entrance to the old town. Visited Cavtat briefly on the bus but it was dead as was mid March.

seafoid

Doing things at their pace when they are small is rewarding.
We were in Tangiers one time and I found a fantastic old hotel full of charm but the kids wanted to stay in a chain hotel with a big pool. So we did.
The youngest doesn't remember it. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BrotherMore6592

Quote from: bennydorano on January 04, 2023, 05:25:12 PM
I'm for Gran Canaria next weekend, January blues can sod off. Officially a cycling trip but as I got a major creaming by a car last Spring it will likely be a Jolly for me.

What part are you staying in Benny? Never been before, heading at Easter.

Reserved a few spots in maspalomas/ Playa Des Ingles. Me and the missus (early 30s)

bennydorano

Playa Del Ingles. Was there near 30 years ago on my first lads holiday, should be a bit more civilised this time.

naka

Quote from: Rois on January 04, 2023, 04:25:13 PM

Walk way flat along the water

I had young kids first time I went
And there was a sea salt small  kids pool
Restaurants about a 20 minute walk and rooms had a good balcony in the royal
Blu if I recall correctly
Enjoyed the local beer

trueblue1234

Any recommendations for a eurocamp/ lodge type resort. Open to anywhere as long as it's warm with good pool /water park and reasonably priced. For 3 kids, 3, 6, 10.

Was looking at sanguli in Spain which I've heard is good.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

bennydorano

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 05, 2023, 11:48:10 AM
Any recommendations for a eurocamp/ lodge type resort. Open to anywhere as long as it's warm with good pool /water park and reasonably priced. For 3 kids, 3, 6, 10.

Was looking at sanguli in Spain which I've heard is good.

Sanguli is class, and Salou on your doorstep, definite best of both worlds scenario. Walk down the hill to the beach, hard to beat. We had a car for it and that was a bit of a waste, did one big shop with the car and a spin or 2,  could easily have done without one.