Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Last Man on February 22, 2022, 04:36:37 PM
Heading to Istanbul for 4 nights at end of March, anyone been and might recommend a good area to base ourselves?

the old city, Sultanahmet, is a good bet, with the historical sights walkable nearby and loads of restaurants etc.
Perhaps a bit "touristy" but that means that convenient services are right there and 3 days should be easily filled.

I was there 15 years ago when inflation was rampant there, I brought home a couple of one million lira notes as presents for the nephew etc. They rebased the currency but inflation is high (40%+) again. The implications of this was that there were cash discounts for payment in € (or possibly other foreign currencies) so consider that possibility if you usually pay by card.
If you go to the carpet places they will sell anything, and deliver. When I was there they produced a salesman who had lived in Monaghan! My semi-D house did not really suit a Turkish carpet though, so he didn't make a sale.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Last Man

Great stuff, thank you 👍

Hound

Quote from: laoislad on February 04, 2022, 09:17:33 AM
Anyone take the family to Euro Disney?
Thinking about it for the summer.
It's been a while and I always went during the Easter break, but two bits of advice I'd give is to stay in a hotel within walking distance (e.g. New York. Newport) and buy Fastpass.

That'll hurt the pocket but make it a far better experience

If you fly into CDG, there is a Disney bus that takes you directly from the airport to the Disney hotels.

There's a stunt show in Walt Disney Studios that is well worth seeing.

Also, park any cynical bones and just enjoy the magic!  Even the gentle rides are great fun and have super attention to detail.

galwayman

My wife has a big birthday coming up in November next year and I'm looking into going somewhere nice for two weeks outside of Europe somewhere.
It will be the 2 of us plus two daughters 4 and 6. Have not decided at all where to go yet but Thailand is one place we're considering.
Thinking more along the lines of doing one week in each of two islands - don't want to change accommodation more than that with two young kids.
Also don't want to spend any nights in Bangkok.
Anyone got any recommendations as to good areas to go or any particular resort/hotel recommendations?
We would either go in November or wait until the following January/February.
Cheers for any advice.
Mexico also a runner.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: galwayman on February 22, 2022, 09:52:57 PM
My wife has a big birthday coming up in November next year and I'm looking into going somewhere nice for two weeks outside of Europe somewhere.
It will be the 2 of us plus two daughters 4 and 6. Have not decided at all where to go yet but Thailand is one place we're considering.
Thinking more along the lines of doing one week in each of two islands - don't want to change accommodation more than that with two young kids.
Anyone got any recommendations as to good areas to go or any particular resort/hotel recommendations?
Cheers for any advice.
Mexico also a runner.
different weather on different islands
january is peak visiting season for northern europeans
phuket and samui are good bets, you can fly in directly to phuket from dubai
you could also do phuket and north to khao lak with transfer by minibus. lots of good snorkling in khao lak and on the islands off shore and elephant park (inland) for the kids to experience

if you haven't been there before, be prepared for the rubbish

Taylor

Quote from: laoislad on February 04, 2022, 09:17:33 AM
Anyone take the family to Euro Disney?
Thinking about it for the summer.

As Hound says park the reality and just enjoy it for what it is.

I would second trying to stay in a Disney hotel within walking distance - will make a huge difference to the experience as well as being handy for dropping back to the hotel for the kids to rest.

We have stayed onsite at a Disney Hotel and offsite.

Huge difference in experience - mind you its a huge difference in cost as well.

Be careful going in the Summer - if it is too hot it will be very challenging with youngish kids

Hound

Cheers for any advice.
Mexico also a runner.
Unless you're looking for a beach-type holiday, it won't be easy to find something special for herself while also accommodating the kids. I'd recommend looking into a cruise.

JohnDenver

Cheers for any advice.
Mexico also a runner.

Check out Moon Palace in Cancun - should be plenty there for both adults and children. Also the option for day trips to different tourist attractions or activities.

https://www.moonpalacecancun.com/en

balladmaker

Does anyone know if a negative antigen/lateral flow test from a registered outlet who will provide a travel cert good enough to meet US entry requirements?

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: balladmaker on March 07, 2022, 09:18:01 PM
Does anyone know if a negative antigen/lateral flow test from a registered outlet who will provide a travel cert good enough to meet US entry requirements?

Up north, an uncle came home from the states at Christmas and back again. Nearly sure on the back of a 'rapid' antigen test from Randox at Belfast international.

balladmaker

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on March 07, 2022, 10:24:54 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on March 07, 2022, 09:18:01 PM

Up north, an uncle came home from the states at Christmas and back again. Nearly sure on the back of a 'rapid' antigen test from Randox at Belfast international.

Thanks for that.  Taking my chances with a Randox Lateral Flow test.

tintin25

Anyone done any solo travelling with any of the recognised travel companies like Flashpack and G Adventures?  I'm thinking 30 - 45 age group.  Have booked 3 weeks off in June and looking to get away somewhere.

Rois

My OH did a few G Adventures trips before we met and raves about them. Some groups were better than others just because he got on better with different people, but didn't ever have a really bad group. He did a lot of South America with them like Peru, Patagonia, Costa Rica and did Kilimanjaro and Borneo.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on April 08, 2022, 10:06:16 AM
My OH did a few G Adventures trips before we met and raves about them. Some groups were better than others just because he got on better with different people, but didn't ever have a really bad group. He did a lot of South America with them like Peru, Patagonia, Costa Rica and did Kilimanjaro and Borneo.

Is it a singletons type holiday set up?

On another note, Manchester and I suppose a lot of other airports are getting hammered at the minute for not having the staff either at security or airlines not having cabin crew to take people, buy hey ho, still advertise flights and holidays and take the money..

If you haven't the staff and won't have the staff until its either trained or security passed then don't put up as many flights!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Who's the expert about the South of France. 7 days in Nice too much? Bit of chilling by the pool and some sightseeing and I'm happy.