Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on January 22, 2018, 08:31:35 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 21, 2018, 02:44:08 PM
Are there any websites where you plug in travel dates but leave the Destination blank? I fancy a citybreak later in the year but would like to just plug in some dates and see what flights comes back reasonably priced for somewhere I've never been before.

Berlin/Hamburg/Copenhagen

Hamburg is an hour on the train from Bremen, so staying in one and going for the day to the other is a good plan.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rois

Quote from: armaghniac on January 23, 2018, 03:16:16 PM

Hamburg is an hour on the train from Bremen, so staying in one and going for the day to the other is a good plan.

Same as Munich and Salzburg. Just did a trip back in Dec - would love to revisit in the summer.

illdecide

TBh i thought Hamburg was sleazy and not much to see in it, def nicer cities in Germany than Hamburg. Although i was there on a stag doo so may have missed the real German culture
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

armaghniac

Quote from: Rois on January 23, 2018, 03:28:19 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 23, 2018, 03:16:16 PM

Same as Munich and Salzburg. Just did a trip back in Dec - would love to revisit in the summer.

I also spent a week between Copenhagen and Hamburg, the train between them (that goes on the boat) was only €30 or so. Hamburg is a mixed bag, but has bits and pieces, Bremen is quite pleasant. Of course, both of these places were rearranged by the RAF and USAF in the 1940s.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on January 23, 2018, 02:19:30 PM
Stockholm is also very good.

Agreed. Nice place. You can stay in Copenhagen, then go across to somewhere like Malmo in Sweden.

bogball88

Vienna is a grand spot, if only to take in their excellent public transport and trust system!
Good town for cans as well if that's your thing

playwiththewind1st

Was there just before Christmas. Short w/e wasn't long enough. Will go back again.

Harold Disgracey

When in Copenhagen you can also easily get a train to Roskilde to visit the cathedral or the Viking ship museum, or to Helsingor to see 'Hamlet's' castle. If you go to Helsingor make sure you stop off in Humlebaek on the way back to Copenhagen to visit the wonderful Louisiana Museum of Modern Art.

Owen Brannigan

Last summer flew to Copenhagen and then travelled by train to Hamburg, Berlin and flew home from Prague.  Trains were great and very good value and as above the train from Copenhagen actually rolls onto the ferry on the way to Germany.

Copenhagen very expensive but a good city break.  Plenty to see and do but watch out for the cyclists who dominant the traffic across the city centre. 

Intended to just have a stopover in Hamburg on the way to Berlin but found it very good.  Like many German cities it has been rebuilt after the war.  St Pauli district with the Reeperbahn is sleazy but plenty of other places of interest. Don't miss Miniature World.

Berlin has endless possibilities with so much related to the war. 

Prague is quite touristy, worth seeing with its historical areas.

Always take the walking tour to see the city at close quarters rather than wandering yourself especially when on a quick visit of a few days.

BenDover

Heading to Duinrell in August, booked through Al Fresco. Has anyone been to this park before? Going by the online reviews and website there's plenty to keep 3 kids entertained. Do I need to hire a car to get from the airport?

Stall the Bailer

Been there twice with eurocamp. Never had a car either time.  Get the train to the Hague, bus at train station takes you to the park

PMG1

Yes it's a good park if you get the weather, plenty to do onsite and great pool complex. Just take train to Hague then taxi, hire bikes and there is plenty of places to see reachable on bikes

LooseCannon

Quote from: illdecide on January 23, 2018, 04:06:01 PM
TBh i thought Hamburg was sleazy and not much to see in it, def nicer cities in Germany than Hamburg. Although i was there on a stag doo so may have missed the real German culture

The furthest away I've ever been on a stag is Carrick-on-Shannon!

Boycey

Anyone got experience of driving down the West Coast of the USA? It's in the frame for the family holiday this Summer probably,  take 12/13 days at it starting in Seattle and finishing in maybe SAN Diego..

omaghjoe

There's alot of driving in that.... and I mean alot!
And if you doing Highway1 (costal Road) the whole way (which is probably unlikely) you might even struggle to do it in that time.
Id break it up with flights, or concentrate on a stretch, plus if you restrict yourself to the coast you'll miss out on things like Yosemite, Crater Lake, Cascades.. etc

Id either do Van/Seat/Port area. Throw in Olympia national park, Rainer, Mount Hood, Columbia River Gorge  and the Oregon Coast
or
SF bay area and throw in Wine COuntry, Redwoods or Big Sur, a Mission (I think the one in Carmel is best up there) as well as Yosemite.
or
combine the two with Crater Lake, and/or Shasta 

Theres feck all in Socal apart from crowded freeways, crowded beaches and an extremely crowded Disneyland ***AVOID***

Any other pointers you want let me know