Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Away with work next week and will have a couple of days free in both Washington (DC) and Montreal. On paper DC seems easy enough to hit the sights along the National Mall but there are a lot of Smithsonian Museums of... and it can't all be done. Anything not to be missed in either place?

tyrone exile

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 16, 2016, 06:53:37 PM
Away with work next week and will have a couple of days free in both Washington (DC) and Montreal. On paper DC seems easy enough to hit the sights along the National Mall but there are a lot of Smithsonian Museums of... and it can't all be done. Anything not to be missed in either place?
Make sure check out Arlington cemetery, and the tomb of the unknown soldier. Unbelievable experience.

heffo

Montreal is easy to get around and is small enough in the centre.

Have a walk around old Montreal, down by the water front, Notre Dame Basillica and go up to the top of Mont Royal for great views of the city (any pictures you see of the Montreal skyline are generally from here) - it's a decent walk up or you can get the bus

Rois

Quote from: heffo on August 16, 2016, 08:10:04 PM

Have a walk around old Montreal, down by the water front, Notre Dame Basillica and go up to the top of Mont Royal for great views of the city (any pictures you see of the Montreal skyline are generally from here) - it's a decent walk up or you can get the bus
Haha we got a bit lost up Mont Royal. The houses on the walk down are amazing.
Don't waste your time on the Olympic Park or the Grand Prix circuit - found both really disappointing, F1 circuit really overgrown.
People rave about the underground city to protect from the cold in winter but again, I was a bit "meh", maybe I didn't see the best bits.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: heffo on August 16, 2016, 08:10:04 PM

Cheers, our hotel is down by the waterfront in old Montreal so will give some of those suggestions a bash.
Quote from: tyrone exile on August 16, 2016, 07:16:38 PM
Make sure check out Arlington cemetery, and the tomb of the unknown soldier. Unbelievable experience.
Cheers. The cemetery was one of the first on the list.

laoislad

Athlone a few weeks ago,Montreal next week...All the big cities. You've a great job.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BennyCake

Listening to report today on Skellig Michael. 4-6 week waiting list, and cost €130 for 2 adults and 2 kids! And that's not even landing on the rock. Wtf like?

Kerry must be heaving. Even more than usual.

Feckin' Star Wars has a lot to answer for!

Milltown Row2

Nearly finished a week in Benidorm.... Now I know what you're thinking, chav Brit hole.... And to a certain extent if you look hard enough you'll find it, but for the week we've been here its been mainly Spanish and we kept largely to the Centre and Old town for food drinks ....

Self catering for four £1200, apartments clean, bar area was basic, pool area grand, beach at Benidorm is really good, plenty space and decent cafes along the beach too....

Was a last minute deal through Easy Jet (thanks Rois) first package holiday since me and wife went to Mallorca 20 years ago!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Subbie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 17, 2016, 11:23:09 AM
Nearly finished a week in Benidorm.... Now I know what you're thinking, chav Brit hole.... And to a certain extent if you look hard enough you'll find it, but for the week we've been here its been mainly Spanish and we kept largely to the Centre and Old town for food drinks ....

Self catering for four £1200, apartments clean, bar area was basic, pool area grand, beach at Benidorm is really good, plenty space and decent cafes along the beach too....

Was a last minute deal through Easy Jet (thanks Rois) first package holiday since me and wife went to Mallorca 20 years ago!!

f**k it, a bit of sun on your back & a few beers , doesn't matter where you go.
Enjoy it, that's the main thing.

Harold Disgracey

On my first ever sun holiday. Currently sunning myself on the Costa Adeje in Tenerife, life is good!

bennydorano

Was pricing another Eurocamp holiday for next year and very surprised to see that prices seem static or even a bit down on this year (with Brexit & slump of the ££ etc..) Isis threat acting as a counterbalance or maybe just some very good early bird deals?

Aristo 60

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on August 18, 2016, 02:29:37 PM
On my first ever sun holiday. Currently sunning myself on the Costa Adeje in Tenerife, life is good!

Stayed there Feb '15.

If you like good fish take a 10 min walk up the beach to La Caleta - You will see a small group of restaurants set back from the shore line but go 50 yards more and look for a restaurant accessed by a suspended walk way around a small bay.

Their fish soup was the best and heartiest I've ever had and the fresh haddock simply fried was top of the pops.

bennydorano

When do easyjet & Ryanair normally release Summer 2017 schedules?

PadraicHenryPearse

Me and he wife are heading to Croatia next month. We are flying into Split and have 7 days there?

Any advise of where and what to see... Hvar, Korcula and Dubrovnik are 3 places we have been recommended. Anyone been or recommend apts, hotels or other places to see.

cheers

manfromdelmonte

Did 9 nights in Crete at end of June / early July.

I'll never go back to canary islands again, if given the choice.

Great food at reasonable prices, lovely people, not overly developed, reasonably priced hotels and flights, stunning scenery, beautiful beaches with warm water