Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on July 16, 2016, 12:35:24 AM
Anyone have any experiences of Enniscrone? Is there plenty to do?any attractions nearby?
Golf course is fabulous
The beach is long.  Good for walks. There is a swimming pool  and a pier for fishing  with boats that go out into the bay.  Pitch n.putt.
Some decent restaurants.
Ballina is down the road. Home of Liam McHale and David Brady.  If Mayo won Sam it would be nuts. Clarkes fish shop has very good salmon. Summer festivals. 
Attymass Comhaltas does a Seisiún on Thursdays. It is top notch.
The Ox mountains and Downpatrick Head are less than an hour away as is Sligo which has good shopping. Carrick on Shannon is a bit more than an hour.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

The Subbie

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 07, 2016, 09:22:20 AM
Guys is a visa required for the following? (Irish passport)

Thailand - 10 days
Hong Kong 4 days

Cheers!

Not sure about HK but any time I've been to Thailand it was visa on arrival , 30 day visa, so you should be sound

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on July 16, 2016, 01:05:32 AM
Anyone have any experiences of Enniscrone? Is there plenty to do?any attractions nearby?
Golf course is fabulous
The beach is long.  Good for walks. There is a swimming pool  and a pier for fishing  with boats that go out into the bay.  Pitch n.putt.
Some decent restaurants.
Ballina is down the road. Home of Liam McHale and David Brady.  If Mayo won Sam it would be nuts. Clarkes fish shop has very good salmon. Summer festivals. 
The Ox mountains and Downpatrick Head are less than an hour away as is Sligo which has good shopping. Carrick on Shannon is a bit more than an hour.

Cheers, seafoid.

What about the drive to Belmullet? Is it far? I hear the Belmullet peninsula (and the North Mayo coast) is a lovely spot.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: BennyCake on July 16, 2016, 09:40:59 PM
Golf course is fabulous
Some decent restaurants.

Cheers, seafoid.

What about the drive to Belmullet? Is it far? I hear the Belmullet peninsula (and the North Mayo coast) is a lovely spot.
About an hour from Ballina.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on July 16, 2016, 09:40:59 PM
Golf course is fabulous
Some decent restaurants.

Cheers, seafoid.

I forgot about Pontoon which is not far from Ballina.
Achill is a bit further away but unmissable in good weather.

BennyCake

Achill is stunning. Keel beach is fantastic.

seafoid

Ballina was a centre of action in 1798. The Irish prisoners were thrown into a sea hole at Downpatrick Head. 

macdanger2

Jackie Clarke museum in ballina is interesting
Ceide fields up along the north Mayo coast past downpatrick head - the drive along there to Belmullet is nice
Surfing in enniscrone or easkey
Michael Davitt museum in straide just outside foxford. Museum & cafe in the foxford woolen mills is good. If you're travelling to foxford / castlebar, be sure to go the knockmore/pontoon road.
On a fine day, the views from nephin are unbelievable. It's a little difficult to climb as there's no real designated pathway like you have on croagh Patrick
Museum of country life in Turlough

Some decent and reasonable places to eat in enniscrone - the waterfront, the pilot bar and the place across from the pilot bar are all very nice. More upmarket is the ice house (wouldn't really recommend it tbh), Belleek and mount falcon. The pub across the road from the pilot bar is a good spot for a quiet pint.

Avondhu star

be sure to hit Westport and Louisburgh. Theres a few beaches beyond Louisburgh that are almost deserted. Beautiful Clew Bay in front of you and Croagh Patrick behind you. On a sunny day its a little bit of heaven. Top off with a few nice creamy pints in Louisburgh
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

muppet

Quote from: Avondhu star on July 17, 2016, 02:01:51 PM
be sure to hit Westport and Louisburgh. Theres a few beaches beyond Louisburgh that are almost deserted. Beautiful Clew Bay in front of you and Croagh Patrick behind you. On a sunny day its a little bit of heaven. Top off with a few nice creamy pints in Louisburgh

Go into Pat Holmes pub in Murrisk.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

What's the best low cost holiday firms out there, that fly from Belfast or Dublin?

Looking a weeks holiday all inclusive possibly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tintin25

So, I'm off all next week and want to go somewhere...only problem is that can't recruit anyone to head away with!

Any suggestions of a european city which would be decent and plenty to do for singelton's?

Geniune answers only...please lol

bennydorano

Does anyone know of a resort type place in Ireland that has Self-Catering cottages, but also has a Leisure centre,  Pub & Restaurant etc.. all on the one site? Someone here suggested Banna Beach Resort near Tralee a couple of years ago, which was exactly the type of thing I was after (& went to), looking something similar in a different place??

AZOffaly

CAstlerosse hotel in Killarney has the same. Chalets. Also there's Clonakilty Quality hotel. In fact I think a lot of the resort type hotels have that concept now of the chalets/cottages on the grounds which are self catering but allow full use of facilities.

Canalman

Quote from: tintin25 on July 20, 2016, 02:43:29 PM

So, I'm off all next week and want to go somewhere...only problem is that can't recruit anyone to head away with!

Any suggestions of a european city which would be decent and plenty to do for singelton's?

Geniune answers only...please lol

Brussels . Stayed there some  years ago and used the train station there as a base to visit  plenty of towns and cities for daytrips in Belgium itself France, Holland and even Germany.  Got a eurorail type pass before I left which was excellent value.