China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: Boycey on March 05, 2020, 12:01:01 PM
I'd be surprised if the World Health Organization aren't following this thread to keep themselves informed...

Certainly when calculating percentages they should definitely refer here.

APM

Quote from: Boycey on March 05, 2020, 12:01:01 PM
I'd be surprised if the World Health Organization aren't following this thread to keep themselves informed...

:D

J70

There are "entrepreneurs" cashing in on NYC streets now, selling disinfecting wipes and small bottles of hand sanitizers and N95 respirators for huge mark-ups. Getting hard to find this stuff now in the chemists or supermarkets, with empty shelves where they'd usually be. And the virus has barely hit NYC yet!

Its hard to find N95s even online now (I know this because I've a professional interest). This is despite appeals that their effectiveness for the average citizen is minimal and pleas not to eat into the supplies needed for medical professionals.

johnnycool

Quote from: Solo_run on March 05, 2020, 11:18:02 AM
Quote from: highorlow on March 05, 2020, 10:58:19 AM
QuoteThe government's across the world I feel have shown a serious level of neglect. It's been a case of "oh we will do something about it when it comes here". It was always coming and they did the bare minimum.

They managed to keep the death rate so far (based on the cases reported) to 1.3% compared to 3.5% in the highly infected areas. Please expand on the neglect?

Two days ago the government were not even doing and screening tests for the virus at airports. Screening people for the virus would at least be a proactive approach.

The death rates were always going to be lower in less effected areas ffs.

How do you screen for the virus at an airport?

I thought they had to take swabs from your mouth and nose and then the tests take 4 to 5 hours.....

don't think that's practical to introduce at an airport.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: johnnycool on March 05, 2020, 12:20:44 PM
QuoteThe government's across the world I feel have shown a serious level of neglect. It's been a case of "oh we will do something about it when it comes here". It was always coming and they did the bare minimum.

They managed to keep the death rate so far (based on the cases reported) to 1.3% compared to 3.5% in the highly infected areas. Please expand on the neglect?

Two days ago the government were not even doing and screening tests for the virus at airports. Screening people for the virus would at least be a proactive approach.

I thought they had to take swabs from your mouth and nose and then the tests take 4 to 5 hours.....

They aren't screening for the virus, you have to go in front of a temperature recording device. Pretty basic considering you can have this and not show and symptoms, but what else can you do bar total lockdown of freedom of movement.

Hereiam

good way to get a DNA profile of everyone

ballinaman

Quote from: Solo_run on March 05, 2020, 10:52:32 AM
Quote from: Taylor on March 05, 2020, 10:43:17 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 05, 2020, 10:39:27 AM
Quote from: highorlow on March 05, 2020, 09:44:11 AM
Outside China, Italy and Iran the second strain appears weaker and is just the flu. No real death rate at all in other countries bar these ones.

Panic over.

Please shut up. Its idiots like you with incorrect opinions like yours that is going to do a lot of harm in slowing this down.

South Korea: 35 dead, 41 recovered = 46%
Japan: 6 dead, 43 recovered = 12%
France: 4 dead, 12 recovered = 25%
Spain: 2 dead, 2 recovered = 50%
US: 11 dead, 8 recovered =58%

The above % obviously dont count those that are in recovery mode

How long does it take to recover?

For recovery is there certain types of medication being taken or is it only hospitals that can provide the medication?

With governments predicting high instances of people getting the virus surely that is the type of information that is vital now considering it cannot be contained?

There's no medication to treat Coronavirus other than staying hydrated, eating healthy and giving your body what it needs to fight.  In 80%.of cases it is considered mild. However, those who have underlying health issues such as elderly folk, COPD, Asthma, diabetes etc they are much more likely to develop severe symptoms and may require hospitalisation because their lungs cannot cope with the virus as well. Therefore they may need assistance via a respirator to breathe properly.

The government's across the world I feel have shown a serious level of neglect. It's been a case of "oh we will do something about it when it comes here". It was always coming and they did the bare minimum.
Same type of meds used to treat malaria has been used in China and has been successful in slowing down the aggressiveness of the virus in infected people...giving more time for antibodies to work and recover.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trailer on March 05, 2020, 11:30:14 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 05, 2020, 11:21:19 AM
Quote from: trailer on March 05, 2020, 11:09:24 AM
Death rate is 2-3%.
But taking that number - that is between 1 in 30 and 1 in 50.

When I went to school 2% was 2 in 100.

:o

1 in 30 = 3 in 90; 3/90  ~=3%
1 in 50 = 2 in 100; 2/100 = 2%

Where did you go to school?  ;D
i usse an speelchekor

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2020/03/04/coronavirus-has-mutated-aggressive-disease-say-scientists/

Researchers at Peking University's School of Life Sciences and the Institut Pasteur of Shanghai, discovered the virus has evolved into two major lineages - dubbed 'L' and 'S' types.

The older 'S-type' appears to be milder and less infectious, while the 'L-type' which emerged later, spreads quickly and currently accounts for around 70 per cent of cases.

Genetic analysis of a man in the US who tested positive on January 21, also showed it is possible to be infected with both types.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Willy shaking hands with all the royalists in Galway. Maybe it was him that brought the virus to the West. Dirty scrubber.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: seafoid on March 05, 2020, 12:41:22 PM
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2020/03/04/coronavirus-has-mutated-aggressive-disease-say-scientists/

Researchers at Peking University's School of Life Sciences and the Institut Pasteur of Shanghai, discovered the virus has evolved into two major lineages - dubbed 'L' and 'S' types.

The older 'S-type' appears to be milder and less infectious, while the 'L-type' which emerged later, spreads quickly and currently accounts for around 70 per cent of cases.

Genetic analysis of a man in the US who tested positive on January 21, also showed it is possible to be infected with both types.

All hail HighOrLow!!
i usse an speelchekor

macdanger2

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 05, 2020, 12:22:49 PM

They aren't screening for the virus, you have to go in front of a temperature recording device. Pretty basic considering you can have this and not show and symptoms, but what else can you do bar total lockdown of freedom of movement.

Temperature screening is fairly pointless on its own, most people with a high temperature wouldn't have this virus so you'd be scanning hundreds of thousands of people/day, several thousand of whom may have a high temperature - what do you do with those people then? Say they can't travel until you complete an actual test for the virus on them? It would be completely unworkable as far as I can see

On the whole, I think the health authorities are doing a reasonably good job. They're taking precautions rather than panicing (it's not like the last time of snow where you couldn't buy bread in the shops!!). Doing less wouldn't be a good idea imo because we don't know enough about this virus yet and there is no cure.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 05, 2020, 12:59:07 PM

Temperature screening is fairly pointless on its own, most people with a high temperature wouldn't have this virus so you'd be scanning hundreds of thousands of people/day, several thousand of whom may have a high temperature - what do you do with those people then? Say they can't travel until you complete an actual test for the virus on them? It would be completely unworkable as far as I can see

On the whole, I think the health authorities are doing a reasonably good job. They're taking precautions rather than panicing (it's not like the last time of snow where you couldn't buy bread in the shops!!). Doing less wouldn't be a good idea imo because we don't know enough about this virus yet and there is no cure.

Find it hard to argue with you, but in this world and the claim culture - there'll be someone who tries to take up a Govt or local authority for not implementing measures.

Realistically, this is the only one they can do....I'd imagine it's lip service.

johnnycool

Exactly.

What they're doing is checking whether you've a raised temperature which can be caused by a myriad of issues including the common cold. Do you put people off a flight because they've the common cold?

You could be carrying the Corona virus and your temperature would be fine.

bennydorano

The scepticism is understandable but the flippancy about effects being only 'flu like' would concern me. I had a particularly nasty  flu 7/8 years ago that took a fancy to my liver, I was off work for 3-4 weeks,  had bouts of delirium, was lying down for quick naps and waking up 6-8 hours later in disbelief I'd been asleep for so long, my wife was extremely worried for a few days when it peaked. I was as weak as water for quite a while afterwards as well.