Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Caress

Quote from: yewtree on January 21, 2020, 09:25:55 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 21, 2020, 06:03:16 PM
Quote from: SamFever on January 21, 2020, 05:49:28 PM
  A couple proposals from Loughinisland for Thursday's County Board's Meeting looking for a round of Championship to be played
in April and for the Leagues to be finished before Round 2 of the Championship are played in August.

I wouldn't be against this, but if we are to continue with the round 1 back door, I say play it in April too.

Championship in August can then be rolled through very quickly.

Regarding club players and respect for them , it would be an easier thing to run Gaelic when soccer season finishes.Then go for a compressed season , plenty of games and less training nights.

In US the baseball season doesn't go against NFL.In Northern Ireland and Republic most gifted guys do both soccer and Gaelic.This way here we save clubs money by not having to pay coaches per session and we get better buy in from all.

A condensed format and shorter season would suit better.It could also be a positive on player numbers in Newry and keep more kids at the Gaelic and maybe boost Shamrocks , Bosco and Mitchells.

I know talking to players that the Gaelic season runs too long and run by idiots demanding full attendance at training even though the players have other sporting commitments.A bit of rethink needed by Down , even trial it over a 3 year period.
There ya go. Says it all. Same people. Same shite.

quiganmaster

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 21, 2020, 10:52:25 PM
Yew tree how does the season run in to long?
Starts in April and finishes the first week in October?
6 months is to long is it? Do you want a 4 month season?
Pisses me off when I hear that crap that the season is to long. Lazy

A lot of club players out on the pitch first week of January preseason training and then the leagues start in April. If they're half successful then the season runs at least until mid September.

outinfront

Plenty of lads busting to get out after 3 months off.  Ok some preseasons are a bit extreme but there's plenty happy to get out and back with their clubs.

If Championship is to be played in April surely better to have rd1/2 done so that from late august on it's knockout only?  Real championship matches.
If you're gone by April, finish out the league season and head off on holidays or whatever you wanna do.
If you're still in the mix then time to knuckle down coming into the summer months.

OgraAnDun

Alternatively, your season is over in April and you have to train and play basically meaningless games for the next 4 months (unless in a relegation dogfight). The season over before summer has even begun.

general

Amateur Sport, Amateur Players with full time jobs - of course they are gona burn out

Have it on good authority that, not fully confirmed - Mickey Moran will be staying on for this season at Kilcoo. Don't expect to see Conor Laverty playing for Kilcoo  until July time - at the orders of Mickey Moran

Ed Hardy

Anyword on the Down team for Sunday? Tough game away to Tipp, it's really a must win game if they want to be in with a chance of being promoted. Any word on James Guinness? Is he out injured?

ardtole

With Harrison out, Mooney out and I presume the kilcoo lads are not back yet, it could be a big ask to collect 2 points on the road.

Last Caress

Quote from: ardtole on January 24, 2020, 09:10:16 AM
With Harrison out, Mooney out and I presume the kilcoo lads are not back yet, it could be a big ask to collect 2 points on the road.
I was speaking to a Father of one of the kilcoo players, (who we would hope would play county football this year), he said his son is likely not to play following " the negative and abusive online attacks towards his club, team and individuals. Can you blame him".
Its disappointing. To be honest he gave the impression that even if his son wanted to play he would not allow it.

snoopdog

Quote from: Last Caress on January 24, 2020, 10:17:44 AM
I was speaking to a Father of one of the kilcoo players, (who we would hope would play county football this year), he said his son is likely not to play following " the negative and abusive online attacks towards his club, team and individuals. Can you blame him".
Its disappointing. To be honest he gave the impression that even if his son wanted to play he would not allow it.

Dissapointing if true. All good players should be welcomed with open arms into the county set up. I thought most people wished Kilcoo well. Yes there are a few bitters on everywhere  but this shouldn't be a reason not to play for your county.  You know your doing something right as a club when people lambast you out of jealousy.

elk

Quote from: Last Caress on January 24, 2020, 10:17:44 AM
Needs to cut the apron strings, if his son is good enough for the County he should give it a go. Might regret it later in life if he doesn't.

Smurfy123

Well it has to be a Brannigan as nobody else is good enough for the team that are already not on it. The Johnstone brothers and Paul Devlin already play.

Targetman

Possibly young Mc Avoy, though I'd have thought he'd be one for the future

Maurice Moss

You're a clown

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 24, 2020, 11:59:43 AM
Well it has to be a Brannigan as nobody else is good enough for the team that are already not on it. The Johnstone brothers and Paul Devlin already play.

Smurfy123

Who who else would start for Down?

champion1981

Smurf !!!!!!! Lol you for real? Kilcoo would wipe the floor with down,  more like who on our county team would start for kilcoo 🤣, Donal o hare and maybe Darren o'Hagan,  not much after that if I'm honest