Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhailov

What was the idea behind Kilcoo having the number '10' on the neck area on the back of their shirts yesterday.

Does anyone know?

Dubh driocht

Kilcoo played a typical Kilcoo game in normal time although the quality of the opposition forced them into making more errors than usual. Only Daryl and Laverty played the occasion but all can reflect on a great year. Unfortunately the  chance may have gone as their example will spur on many clubs in Down and Ulster to raise their games. Good to see local clubs supporting the magpies and who knows when a Down team will be back in HQ.

Nanderson

One thing i've noticed about Kilcoo this year under Moran is that he doesn't tend to use a lot of subs. Although they have a massive panel he only seems to bring on Justin, sheelan (who is now a starter) and anthony morgan. Players that were once guaranteed starters on the teams in the past few years like James McClean, Marty Devlin, Micheal Rooney now aren't even getting a sniff of championship football.

wobbller

Quote from: Dubh driocht on January 20, 2020, 08:08:39 PM
Kilcoo played a typical Kilcoo game in normal time although the quality of the opposition forced them into making more errors than usual. Only Daryl and Laverty played the occasion but all can reflect on a great year. Unfortunately the  chance may have gone as their example will spur on many clubs in Down and Ulster to raise their games. Good to see local clubs supporting the magpies and who knows when a Down team will be back in HQ.
Let's call it as it is- most Down people would be pleased
that Kilcoo lost.Sad but true.

ardtole

Quote from: wobbller on January 20, 2020, 09:48:22 PM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on January 20, 2020, 08:08:39 PM
Let's call it as it is- most Down people would be pleased
that Kilcoo lost.Sad but true.

Anyone I was talking to wanted Kilcoo to win. I was at croke park and there was significant support from clubs all over Down.

Truth hurts

Hard luck Kilcoo, having no midfield or a marquee forward who could score them 3/4 points from play cost them in the end. I would love to see dabs and Ryan McEvoy into the Down squad, I don't think Ryan and Jerome will cut in for Down anymore and we have too many similar players. If the rumour of Moran leaving is true then Gilligan I am sure could step up.

Massive game for us on Sunday, we need at least 4 points from our first 3 games to be in with a chance of promotion. Is Harrisson near fit does anyone know?

Smurfy123

Agree Ryan and Jerome would be squad players Jerome would probably start but he is not the forward that is going to get you 4/5 points a game like Donal O Hare. Dabs would be an addition to the Down team hopefully he joins.

ardtole

Would Niall McEvoy be worth a shout, looks like an old fashioned corner back, the type of player Sean Boylen would have liked.

Truth hurts

McEvoy is past his past unfortunately and is the wrong side of 30 but a brainy player and great servant to Kilcoo. Its mad to think the Kilcoo are now taking a well earned break while the rest of the county are slogging their guts on pitches to try and topple them. Big numbers out training in Ford which may be worth keeping an eye on.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 21, 2020, 11:28:30 AM
McEvoy is past his past unfortunately and is the wrong side of 30 but a brainy player and great servant to Kilcoo. Its mad to think the Kilcoo are now taking a well earned break while the rest of the county are slogging their guts on pitches to try and topple them. Big numbers out training in Ford which may be worth keeping an eye on.

The more they slog their guts out now - the less likely they are to win.

No point peaking in May.
i usse an speelchekor

SamFever

A couple proposals from Loughinisland for Thursday's County Board's Meeting looking for a round of Championship to be played
in April and for the Leagues to be finished before Round 2 of the Championship are played in August.

thewobbler

Quote from: SamFever on January 21, 2020, 05:49:28 PM
  A couple proposals from Loughinisland for Thursday's County Board's Meeting looking for a round of Championship to be played
in April and for the Leagues to be finished before Round 2 of the Championship are played in August.

I wouldn't be against this, but if we are to continue with the round 1 back door, I say play it in April too.

Championship in August can then be rolled through very quickly.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: yewtree on January 21, 2020, 09:25:55 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 21, 2020, 06:03:16 PM

I wouldn't be against this, but if we are to continue with the round 1 back door, I say play it in April too.

Regarding club players and respect for them , it would be an easier thing to run Gaelic when soccer season finishes.Then go for a compressed season , plenty of games and less training nights.

In US the baseball season doesn't go against NFL.In Northern Ireland and Republic most gifted guys do both soccer and Gaelic.This way here we save clubs money by not having to pay coaches per session and we get better buy in from all.

A condensed format and shorter season would suit better.It could also be a positive on player numbers in Newry and keep more kids at the Gaelic and maybe boost Shamrocks , Bosco and Mitchells.

I know talking to players that the Gaelic season runs too long and run by idiots demanding full attendance at training even though the players have other sporting commitments.A bit of rethink needed by Down , even trial it over a 3 year period.

Can we just go with "Ireland" please.

Also I don't know of a single senior footballer in my club who also plays competitive soccer.

snoopdog

Quote from: OgraAnDun on January 21, 2020, 09:44:25 PM
Quote from: yewtree on January 21, 2020, 09:25:55 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 21, 2020, 06:03:16 PM

Regarding club players and respect for them , it would be an easier thing to run Gaelic when soccer season finishes.Then go for a compressed season , plenty of games and less training nights.

In US the baseball season doesn't go against NFL.In Northern Ireland and Republic most gifted guys do both soccer and Gaelic.This way here we save clubs money by not having to pay coaches per session and we get better buy in from all.

A condensed format and shorter season would suit better.It could also be a positive on player numbers in Newry and keep more kids at the Gaelic and maybe boost Shamrocks , Bosco and Mitchells.

I know talking to players that the Gaelic season runs too long and run by idiots demanding full attendance at training even though the players have other sporting commitments.A bit of rethink needed by Down , even trial it over a 3 year period.

Can we just go with "Ireland" please.

Also I don't know of a single senior footballer in my club who also plays competitive soccer.
Yew tree is 11 he is talking about his age group.
Also It's Ireland not norn iron.

Smurfy123

Yew tree how does the season run in to long?
Starts in April and finishes the first week in October?
6 months is to long is it? Do you want a 4 month season?
Pisses me off when I hear that crap that the season is to long. Lazy