Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antrimman667

Who else in this forum feels we should get rid of the group stages for championship. get back to straight knockout !!

EOC1923

Quote from: antrimman667 on September 22, 2021, 01:47:59 PM
Who else in this forum feels we should get rid of the group stages for championship. get back to straight knockout !!
I agree, this season seems even worse as it is so drawn out. Started on 11th August and proper knockout stuff not until 24th October.

ck

The group stages are not really the problem. The problem is starting a competition in early August with 2 games in 4 days. Then large gaps between games with the quarter finals not even starting until end of October. Tickets are limited so we can't even go to matches yet and very few games are streamed. All pretty poor really. The coverage of games is also poor. Great games that you'd barely know are on.

If people want to change the system then you need to get your clubs to submit a motion.

themac_23

Quote from: ck on September 22, 2021, 10:23:01 PM
The group stages are not really the problem. The problem is starting a competition in early August with 2 games in 4 days. Then large gaps between games with the quarter finals not even starting until end of October. Tickets are limited so we can't even go to matches yet and very few games are streamed. All pretty poor really. The coverage of games is also poor. Great games that you'd barely know are on.

If people want to change the system then you need to get your clubs to submit a motion.

We're the groups not just introduced to give clubs more games due to Covid? Then kept this year so they could play the league without county players and give teams a chance to bed county players back in before knock out? Look at intermediate, massive groups with dead rubbers the last few rounds, call me old fashioned but having dead rubbers isn't championship football for me. For me 2 teams going all out to get through to the next round, not 1 already out just fielding a team and the other going flat out.

delgany

Quote from: themac_23 on September 22, 2021, 10:40:11 PM

We're the groups not just introduced to give clubs more games due to Covid? Then kept this year so they could play the league without county players and give teams a chance to bed county players back in before knock out? Look at intermediate, massive groups with dead rubbers the last few rounds, call me old fashioned but having dead rubbers isn't championship football for me. For me 2 teams going all out to get through to the next round, not 1 already out just fielding a team and the other going flat out.

Davitts v St.Terseas is the only game in the IFC that has  nothing riding on it. 

Dunsilly King

Quote from: themac_23 on September 22, 2021, 10:40:11 PM

All fair points, and all from a spectators perspective. Players love playing games, thats the whole point. You can't get enough football. Wouldn't be complaining as a player

imtommygunn

Tbh I think the coverage is good. Mainly due to the saffron Gael and not the county board mind you but I get to read plenty. I would follow most clubs on Twitter and tend to get good live score updates too.

* Except for live coverage mind you which was excellent last year.

ck

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 23, 2021, 07:29:59 AM

Tbh I think the coverage is good. Mainly due to the saffron Gael and not the county board mind you but I get to read plenty. I would follow most clubs on Twitter and tend to get good live score updates too.

Compare the Antrim Championship coverage in the Irish News/Gaelic Life to say Down or Tyrone. It is tiny. I'm told it will increase from Quarter final stages but generally the coverage for group games is poor.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ck on September 23, 2021, 10:52:53 AM

Compare the Antrim Championship coverage in the Irish News/Gaelic Life to say Down or Tyrone. It is tiny. I'm told it will increase from Quarter final stages but generally the coverage for group games is poor.

Have you seen the games covered live on Paric TV? Saffron Gael would be the only news reports that I'd look at tbf and they do this right down to juvenile levels league and Championship.. I'm confused as to what more coverage you are looking for tbh
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ck

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 23, 2021, 11:04:14 AM

Have you seen the games covered live on Paric TV? Saffron Gael would be the only news reports that I'd look at tbf and they do this right down to juvenile levels league and Championship.. I'm confused as to what more coverage you are looking for tbh

Saffron Gael is excellent and do great work. My point is that the group games at all levels in Antrim are largely ignored by mainstream GAA media such as Irish News and GL. There has been some cracking games from what I hear but you have to look hard to find anything on them.

EOC1923

Quote from: ck on September 23, 2021, 03:24:32 PM

Saffron Gael is excellent and do great work. My point is that the group games at all levels in Antrim are largely ignored by mainstream GAA media such as Irish News and GL. There has been some cracking games from what I hear but you have to look hard to find anything on them.
You mustn't of seen the Irish News today, big spread on the two championships Creggan left behind  ;)

delgany

Quote from: EOC1923 on September 23, 2021, 04:19:47 PM
Quote from: ck on September 23, 2021, 03:24:32 PM

You mustn't of seen the Irish News today, big spread on the two championships Creggan left behind  ;)

The Irish News completely ignore all intermediate and junior leagues for the past while. It used to carry every result from each county on a Monday. No longer is that the case, which is a real shame

rogercasement

IMO most clubs in Antrim do a superb job of promoting their teams, be it through twitter, Facebook or Saffron Gael. Antrim County also provide a good service with their live games. If you are still waiting on the Irish news for the scores on a Monday morning I don't know how you are capable of posting on here.
And always remember, nothing beats being there!!

delgany

Quote from: rogercasement on September 23, 2021, 05:40:41 PM
IMO most clubs in Antrim do a superb job of promoting their teams, be it through twitter, Facebook or Saffron Gael. Antrim County also provide a good service with their live games. If you are still waiting on the Irish news for the scores on a Monday morning I don't know how you are capable of posting on here.
And always remember, nothing beats being there!!
It was just a thing, to see how other clubs , in other counties were doing, at a glance

Belfast GAA man

I hopE u r all sitting down . Im seeing and hearing Gaelfast are out in loads of belfast primary schools these days which is great news. the new boss must be making a difference